Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter One - Gardens In The Desert Sand
Rating:  PG
Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/docseven2000
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.
**

"I just don't get why you wanted to come back, Old Mum."

Evelyn Carnahan turned and looked ruefully at her brother.  She didn't quite know what to say.  "Jonathan, these dreams," she began, spreading her hands open and shrugging.  "I have to know if they mean something.  I have to see if they are leading me somewhere."  For weeks now her nights had been invaded by strange dreams that seemed to beckon her back to Egypt.  And truth be told, she did miss Cairo.  She was looking forward to her stay, visiting all the old markets and restaurants...visiting the Museum of Antiquities.

Jonathan sighed as he picked up his bag and looked out over Giza Port.  His eyes caught a beautiful, dark eyed woman peering in his direction.  "Perhaps it won't be that bad," he commented, watching her and ignoring Evy's long suffering sigh.  He smiled, waved and was pleased when she seemed to wave back.  Of course that was until the man behind him stepped around and called her name affectionately, drawing her attention and making Jonathan sigh.  "Isn't that the way of it," he muttered as Evy stepped towards the ramp to disembark.

Evy rolled her eyes and stirred impatiently, waiting for the gate to be opened.  "I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun where ever you can find a drink."  She smiled as the gate was finally opened and people began to get off the ship.

"Now there's an idea," he agreed as they walked down the ramp.  "A trip to a casbah seems in order.  Sort of a celebration.  I know just the place."

Stepping off the plank and onto the sand made Evy grin.  "You'll have to go without me.  I'm going to go see about our rooms."

"Mmm," he hummed, eyeing the direction he planned to travel.  "Yes well you wouldn't mind taking this would you?"  He held up his back pack.

Evy gave him a flat stare.  "Take it with you.  You shouldn't have any problems if you go somewhere reputable."

Jonathan grinned.  "Where's the fun in that?"  He winced as her gaze turned a little frosty.  "Yes well, all right, Evy.  I'll see you later."  He smiled as he backed away.  "Goodnight."

Evy waved and turned away, heading straight for the hotel and muttering, "Goodnight indeed."  If he got into trouble it would not be on her shoulders, she decided firmly.

**

It had taken enormous work, but the gardens at the palace in Thebes were enchanting and added an atmosphere of mystery in a country filled with sand.  Nefertiri found herself drawn there quite often.  Nefertiri?  Was that her name?  She looked around.  It felt right, being here and calling herself by that name...but was she not Evelyn Carnahan?  Still, it was a nice garden.  She stopped and touched the green leaf of a small tree.  It was beautiful.  Everything here was beautiful.

Nefertiri looked up into the starry night sky.  Her father would no doubt be missing her at the dinner she was supposed to be attending, but she couldn't bring herself to go there.  A celebration of Anck-su-namun, Seti's bride-to-be.  A celebration of her mother's death.  Closing her eyes, Nefertiri fought back her tears.  She'd done enough crying.  Instead she focussed on her anger.  Her father making a concubine his queen!  She didn't trust Anck-su-namun.  There was always something defiant in her eyes, something ruthless and greedy.  It bothered her, though she couldn't quite put her finger on why.  And Rameses, her own little brother, he'd practically fall over himself to please the concubine and gain her affections.

Thinking of him, now that made her want to cry.  It was tradition that royalty of Egypt could marry back into their family and it had been brought into question once or twice that she marry her brother.  She detested the idea and fortunately for time's sake, Rameses seemed to hate it as well.  As long as Rameses fought the idea, there was a chance that he could find another woman and keep her from being trapped into a life with him.  She sighed, looking at all the beauty that surrounded her.  It suddenly felt like a cage.

Crouching near the built-in pond she froze, hearing a rustling in the shadows close by.  Dare she call out?  Mustering up her bravery she turned and there in the brush, with just enough light to illuminate them, she saw two dark eyes watching her softly.

**

Shifting around in the comfort of her bed, Evy furrowed her brow and then abruptly woke up.  She sat up and rubbed at her temples, squinting in the sunshine that filled her room.  Those eyes...they were still there in her mind.  They were familiar and non-threatening and yet troublesome all the same.  She wasn't quite sure what to make of them.  Did this dream - or any of them for that matter - mean anything?  Or as Freud said, was a cigar really just a cigar?  She had these types of dreams too frequently for her to believe that they were coincidence and after what she'd seen last time she was in Egypt, well from now on she wouldn't be so hasty to discount something just because it sounded silly to the modern world.  She was always Nefertiri in the dreams and the setting was always ancient Egypt.  And the dreams always flowed perfectly.  Usually dreams were chaotic and disoriented but these dreams were as clear as real life.

Evy frowned when she heard Jonathan stumble into the adjoining room.  He'd likely spent the night carousing and drinking and as he said on the ship - why should scenery change habit?  Getting out of bed Evy went to the mirror and took her brush from the table.  She found this whole situation - dreams, not knowing, Jonathan - all of it was irritating.  What are you doing here? she thought as she gazed at her reflection.  You'd think that 'He Who Shall Not Be Named' would have been enough to keep you away.  She rolled her eyes and set the brush down, moving to her bag and pulling out a long gray skirt.  As scary as those events had been though it felt long ago and unreal now. Liking her lips, she pulled her gown off and changed into her skirt and a white blouse.  She wasn't about to spend her first day back in Egypt worrying about the dreams and their meaning or about ancient history or even Jonathan.  She was going to enjoy today.  Evy rolled her eyes as the sound of glass shattering erupted from the adjoining room.  That was not an ill omen.

Grabbing her bag, Evy promptly left Jonathan to finding his bed and headed out of the hotel and to a little local place to get a bite to eat.  Every morning before work she would stop at a little bakery and have some tea and some of the lightest, fluffiest biscuits she'd ever tasted.  She kind of missed that ritual.  It wasn't too long of a walk before she stood before the place.  She stopped a moment and read the sign's Arabic lettering.  Golden Sunrise Bakery it meant in English.  She liked to imagine they named it that after the rising of those biscuits she loved so well.  Taking in a deep breath of the tempting aroma coming from the place, Evy smiled and went in.

It was as if nothing had changed it.  She could almost hear Dr. Bay asking her why she was late for work.  And her table, they still had it placed right by the window where she liked to sit and watch the morning hustle.  Evy ran her hand softly over the back of the chair and sat down, smiling at the memories that flooded her mind.  "Little Evy!" a voice called out suddenly.

Evy turned and grinned as the old woman headed for the table.  "Nila," she greeted, setting her bag down onto the table as the woman sat.

Nila's kind brown eyes glowed.  "Where have you been, Child?"  She didn't remember.  No one had remembered after Imhotep's spell had worn off.  "Jahad has been looking for you and telling me that I made that last batch of biscuits wrong."

"It wasn't that," Evy replied.  "No, my brother and I had to leave Egypt for a little while.  We're back for a visit."

Nila reached for Evy and pet her hand.  "I'm glad you stopped by to visit us."

Evy gave Nila's arm a little squeeze.  "I couldn't return without coming to visit you two.  Where is Jahad?"  She looked back to see if she could see him baking in the back.

The old woman snorted.  "Out back, charming the dog.  He wants to train him to attack robbers."  Evy giggled at that.  Jahad was quite the character and at times quite eccentric.  She exhaled, realizing just how much she'd missed the life she'd lead before.  Nila smiled knowingly.  "What are you going to do now that you are back for a time?"

Evy shrugged.  "I thought I would visit the museum and see how it's held up.  Perhaps stop by again for lunch later."

"So, the only reason you came back was for a visit then?  A vacation?"

She nodded, then sighed at Nila's raised brow.  The old woman could read people like a book it seemed.  "Actually, this might sound foolish, but I've been having some strange dreams lately and thought maybe if I came back...oh I don't know.  I thought maybe I would find something."  She absently rubbed her arm, hoping she didn't sound too stupid.

To her surprise, Nila smiled.  "This does not sound foolish, Child.  Egypt is a part of you, a deep part of you.  I'm glad it called you back to it's sands."  She stood.  "I've baked some nice fresh biscuits that I'm sure you'll love."  She gave Evy a little pat on the shoulder.  "I'll return in a moment."

Evy nodded as Nila left her and retreated to the back to prepare Evy's usual breakfast.  It was good that things hadn't changed.  All past events aside, if everything had been alien to her that might have been what sent her back to London.  As it was however, she was finding the idea of leaving less and less attractive.  "Where is she?" she heard Nila's old husband exclaim in the back.  Suddenly he came into the room with a huge smile.  "Bless the sun it's little Eve!"  He came forward and sat across from her.  "Nila said that you left us and came back for a visit!  Why aren't you going to stay?  Egypt misses it's little Eve."

She smiled kindly at the old man and looked longingly at the plate of biscuits that Nila sat down.  "I...I hadn't thought about it," she answered.

"Oh never mind that," Nila said, setting a cup of tea down for Evy.  "You eat your biscuits.  I buttered them just like you like it.  And see the little bowl of honey there on the side?"

Evy's eyes widened a little as she looked at the food set before her.  They had always treated her so well.  She supposed she might be the daughter they never had.  With an impish little grin she took a biscuit and dipped it lightly into the honey and took a bite.  "Mmm," she moaned, closing her eyes and savoring the taste.  "These are the best yet."

"Yes!" Jahad exclaimed with enthusiasm.  "Allah himself made certain those biscuits were made perfect for your return, Eve!"

She laughed, taking another bite.  "I'll believe that," she commented, grinning like a school girl.  She certainly felt like one.  "They are perfect."

Jahad and Nila exchanged happy smiles.  "What are your dreams about?" Nila asked a moment later as she sat and wiped the table off.

Evy licked her lips and swallowed.  "In all of them I am an ancient princess.  Nefertiri, the daughter of Seti I.  And oddly enough the dreams are occurring in such an order that it's telling a story actually."

The old man smiled.  "I hope it's a good one."

"Many things we don't understand," Nila sighed, ignoring her husband's comment.  "Perhaps Nefertiri speaks to you from the dead."

Evy shrugged.  "Perhaps," she said doubtfully.  "It seems so natural though.  Not like a message really.  I am Nefertiri when I enter into the dream."  She took another bite and looked out the window at a small girl with her mother.  It reminded her of Nefertiri's sadness.

Jahad scratched his head.  "A past life then?"

She blinked, not having considered that possibility before.  "I hadn't thought of that.  Do you really think...me a princess?"

He smiled.  "You'll always be a princess, Eve."

Evy returned his fond smile and wiped her hands onto her napkin.  "Thank you, both of you."  She pushed her chair back, anxious to get to the museum now and read about Nefertiri if she could.

Nila edged her plate.  "Are you finished so soon?"

Evy stood, taking another drink and setting the tea down.  "I couldn't eat another bite.  I'm going to go to the museum and read about this Nefertiri and see what I can come up with there.  I will be back for lunch."

Nila and Jahad stood, following her to the door.  "Do come back," Jahad said.  "Tell us what you find."

She nodded and smiled.  "It was so good being back and yes, I'll tell you everything."

"Tell that nice young man at the museum we said hello," Nila called as Evy opened the door.

Evy furrowed her brow but waved, exiting.  They were such good people and she hated leaving them right after eating, but she was very intrigued by this idea of a past life.  "Nefertiri," she whispered absently, thinking.  She'd never really studied her much.  She wasn't even sure that the museum would have any books about her, but she was certainly going to try.  Perhaps studying Seti or his son Rameses might offer a mention of the princess.

The museum was just as she'd remembered it as well, though of course she hadn't been inside it yet.  She didn't take the time to stand and revel in the feel of the place this time, however excited she was to be back.  Opening the door immediately granted her the vision of another familiar face.  "Abdul," she said, smiling.

Abdul was a very large and well muscled man, but he smiled like a puppy.  "Evy!" he said, running up to her and hugging her.  "What brings you back?"

Evy pulled back from the man's forward embrace.  He'd always been that way for as long as she could remember.  "A visit to Egypt.  I just wanted to be back."

He grinned, stuffing a rag he'd been using to dust with into his back pocket.  "And merry old London?  Was it as boring as I told you it would be?"  He winked.

She rolled her eyes.  "I love London, Abdul.  I just needed to come back for a visit."

"All right," he said, unbelieving.  "Well, I'm almost certain you'd get your old job back if you wanted it.  Was there anything or anyone you wanted to see specifically?"  He crossed his arms and watched her.

Her eyes wandered to a large door.  "I was hoping to have a bit of a look around in the library actually."

He nodded, knowing she'd always loved reading the wealth of books in there.  "Okay, Evy.  Make yourself at home.  I'm out here if you need me."  He grinned and returned to his work.

Evy bit her lip, entering full study mode, and went on into the large library.  She prayed they still catalogued things the way she used to.  Removing her glasses from her bag, she placed them on her nose and went straight to the "N" section.  She might as well try the direct approach first.  Opening a little drawer on the chest at the end of a bookcase, she quickly began thumbing through, muttering, "Nefertiri," as she went along.  Even this little thing of searching the catalogue made her realize just how much she missed being here.  So many memories in this library.  She could recall a game she played with Bob and Abdul where she would challenge both of them to see who was the first that could find any book she chose.  The good old days.  She hated the sound of that.  Made her feel almost old.  "Ah," she said, finding a reference to the strange invader of her dreams.  She quickly trotted to the section where she would find her book and began searching.

And then she froze.  She couldn't quite hear as much as perceive someone standing behind her - watching.  It felt eerie.  Oh, don't be silly, Girl.  It's a library.   She swallowed and turned and the first thing she noticed were the eyes.  The dark eyes that watched her.  She widened her own eyes.  "Evelyn Carnahan," he said, smiling.  "A face I had not thought I would see again."  He laughed at her continued wide-eyed gaze.  "Med-Jai can read, though that isn't directly why I am here."

"Oh.  Oh.  Mr. Bay, I...I'm sorry."  Those eyes...just like her dream they almost saw right through her though she knew that wasn't possible.  "I didn't mean to be rude.  Of course you can read.  I just...didn't think I'd see you again either."  She tore her eyes from his to take in the full picture.  Black pants and long sleeved shirt.  It was definitely different to see him in something other than the desert robes he'd worn last time.

He nodded then looked around.  "My father as you know was the curator.  I was given his position after you left Egypt."

She couldn't help but look into his eyes, it would be rude of her not to.  "I see.  Don't the Med-Jai need you?"  She blinked under his soft gaze.

"There are leaders," he replied, placing his hands in his pockets.  "If I am needed I will be informed.  Until that time I will maintain what my father did when he was alive."  He was quiet for a moment, then, "You are looking for a book?"

"Oh!" she exclaimed, remembering herself.  "Right.  I'm looking for a book on the princess Nefertiri."  It was his turn to be surprised.  "What?" she asked, furrowing her brow at his expression.

He blinked and then smiled.  "I'm sure it's nothing.  I'll help you look."  He stepped forward.