Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter Twelve - Some Things Never Change
Rating:  PG13 - er, the high end

Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/ninthsaturn
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.

Notes:  Okay, I know this has been a while in the works...hehe.  And it's not the epic ending I've been emailed about, but I've posted it so that people know I haven't given up on it.  hehehe.  So, I'm thinking the end will be in the next chapter.  :)  Hope you all enjoy and I know this story is taking forever to get out and I apologize.  ;)

Also Note:  Some of you may have caught wind of a website I was making and I wanted to let you know that that right now is on a back burner.  I may or may not do it.  Hehe.  Or if I do, it might be a general archive for Mummy and Enterprise - my two passions.  hehehe.  Anyhow, enjoy.

**

Imhotep paced beneath the dark and decaying depths of Hamunaptra, in one last search for the Gold Book.  To his great fury it was nowhere to be found.  The sound of his footsteps stopped.  "He must have it!" he yelled angrily, startling Evy.  "I will make him suffer greatly for this betrayal."

Evy tried to distance herself from thinking of Jonathan.  She was so worried about her brother, about all of them really.  Swallowing, she stopped her searching and faced the Priest.  "And if he does?" she ventured.

His eyes blazed with fury and his fists were tightened.  "If he does I cannot kill him directly."  He growled his frustration.  "I cannot bear this not knowing!  It is like a madness!"

Rick snorted from his place, chained to the column.  Watching his foot wiggle, he quipped, "Scarab in his loin cloth?"

Evy smiled at Rick and rolled her eyes.  "Nothing quite so horrifying, I'm sure."

"You know," the American said, looking around the dusty and ancient walls.  "The view from here is getting kinda boring.  Maybe he could chain me to the other side?"

Imhotep frowned at them both and waved a finger.  "What are you speaking of?"

Evy smirked at the creature.  "Rick's trying to be funny.  It's his way of relaxing when he's nervous."

He eyed Rick for a moment, then looked to her gravely.  "Tell your friend he'd better save some of that humor for when Rameses brings his army. That is when he will truly know what it means to be nervous."  Exhaling, Imhotep looked around the chambers in thought.  "I have searched everywhere I can think and have failed.  It is time we left."

"Left?" Evy almost choked, eyes flashing.  Ardeth would never find them if they simply left.  Assuming Ardeth had the strength to return.  Everything in her whispered 'no' over and over.  "Are you sure we should leave?"

He locked eyes with her and studied for a moment.  "Your Desert Man is likely dead."

Evy frowned at that, crossing her arms and looking away.  Of all the nerve!  "Desert man," she muttered in English, kicking some of the sand beneath her toes.

Rick chuckled at that.  "What?  Are you still mad I called him that?"

She rolled her eyes and frowned testily.  "No.  Imhotep just did it.  Does Ardeth have some sort of tattoo I'm not aware of?" she replied smartly, looking back at Imhotep and switching tongues.  "And so where are we going to go?"

His intense brown eyes searched her face, then Rick's.  Folding one arm and rubbing his chin with the other hand, he answered, "We will go to where the slaves and commoners of Egypt were buried.  I must raise my own army to fight against Rameses."  Looking to Rick, he said, "You will tell him my words, Nefertiri."

Evy furrowed her brow at that and nodded uncertainly.  Still, she had little choice but to agree.  "Rick, Imhotep has something he wants to say."

Rick looked back and forth between them cautiously.  "Right.  Okay."

Evy nodded to Imhotep and the Priest set his eyes on Rick, trying to convey the gravity of what he was going to say.  He knew Rick would have to hear it from Evy, but he felt addressing O'Connell personally would aid the intent behind his words.  "O'Connell," he began, tasting the strange word and apparently not liking the sensation.  "You have no reason to give me your loyalty.  I have no reason to want it, other than you have been a formidable enemy in the past.  There is a great war coming and there will only be two sides from which to fight.  That of my side and that of Rameses.  I would have you fight on my side."

Swallowing, Evy delivered to Rick the translation.  "Yeah," he said, not breaking eye contact with Imhotep.  "I thought it might be something like that."  Finally looking away, Rick considered the implications very seriously.  A part of him refused to even believe that there would even be some stupid war fought between these two evils...but what if it did come to that?  What if it came down to fighting for one of these men or dying?  Rick's pride told him that dying would be the best choice, but what about Evy?  Where would she be, left alone with this mad man?  "Lesser of two evils," he repeated, looking at Evy.  "Evelyn, what do you think I should do?  My every instinct tells me to tell him he can shove his little war where the sun doesn't shine, but I want to know what you think."

Evy bit her lip and looked at Imhotep, then back at Rick, feeling very nervous.  Fight beside the devil...she couldn't dream it.  "Rick," she said quietly, taking a breath and preparing herself to speak words she never thought she'd say.  "I dreamed last night that we fought in a great war and that you were a general in Imhotep's army.  The world was torn in two, half flocking to Rameses' banner, the other half to Imhotep's.  I don't know what you should do or if that future is inescapable, but I do believe that if we are to choose between Imhotep and Rameses, that Imhotep is who we should side with.  Rick, I've seen something in him."  She looked away in order to go on with words she wasn't certain were wise.  "I know how that sounds, silly and foolish, but there is a compassion in him.  I know it.  Yes, he will try to rule this planet in his own way and that way more than likely will be ruthless, but I don't believe it would compare to Rameses.  There is no compassion in him."  Shivering, she pushed back memories of dying under his dagger.

"Yeah," Rick said, looking at the floor and exhaling.  "Well, God.  Tell him to untie me and give me back my guns.  I'll fight on his side.  But just between you and me, if I see a chance to kill him I'm going to do it."

"Right," she said softly, looking back to Imhotep.  He was waiting as patiently as he could, curiosity brimming in his dark eyes.

"What do you two say to one another?" he asked, not liking the fact that he didn't know their words.  He did recognize the word 'yeah' as meaning 'yes' and groaned at the many words in Evy's language that shared meanings.

Evy drew in a deep breath, the weight of this situation not lost on her.  "He says he'll fight for you and he wants his weapons."

Imhotep eyed Rick for a long moment before asking, "Can he be trusted?  I will kill him if he betrays me, Nefertiri."

She nodded and Imhotep went to O'Connell and began untying him.  "Rick, he said he'd kill you if you betrayed him.  Please be very sure of yourself before you do something rash," she warned.

"Naturally," he sighed, standing up and looking around.  "Thanks," he muttered instinctively, taking the guns as Imhotep handed him his belt and Thompson.

Imhotep smiled at that and said in accented English, "Welcome?"  He looked to Evy to be sure he got it right.

Rick also looked to Evy, his eyes not very amused.  "You've been teaching him English, haven't you?  Just how much does he know?"

Evelyn shrugged innocently and fluttered her eyelashes a little.  "He knows a few words here and there.  Enough for me to watch what you say and prevent misunderstandings if he thinks you're saying something in betrayal."

Smirking, O'Connell strapped his belt on and checking his Thompson for ammo.  "You mean other than teaching him proper courtesies like 'thank you' and 'you're welcome'?"

Evy smiled pleasantly.  "Well, if he's going to speak our language he might as well sound polite."  She absently chewed her thumbnail.  "I couldn't help it.  He wanted to know some of our language and I had no other choice but to tell him the words he asked for.  Along with the common courtesies."

Rolling his eyes, Rick shook his head.  "Great."  He looked at Imhotep then, his expression neutral.  "Where to?"

Without waiting for Imhotep to ask what Rick said, Evy told him, "We're going to raise the common people of ancient times, and the slaves.  He wants to get an army started."

"Wonderful," Rick said as Imhotep headed up the stairs, expecting them to follow.  When they reached the top, Imhotep helped Rick to the surface, then Evy.  Rick squinted in the dark.  "I hope he knows the way without the sun."

Evy shivered as Imhotep pulled them close.  "I've a feeling we're about to find out," she groaned nervously, hating this method of travel.  "Couldn't we use Ardeth's car?"

Imhotep laughed before pulling them into the winds of his power.

**

Ardeth stood there in the desert, the wind blowing his hair.  Any moment now, any moment.  Steeling himself, he held his scimitar forth, ready for the coming battle.  He could hear the marching and knew that it wasn't far off.  He looked up at the pretty blue sky and felt his sides ache at the beauty of it.  A beautiful world marred and abused by two evil men fighting for the right to own her.  "Steady," he told his men, knowing it wasn't necessary for them to be reminded.  Perhaps he said it for his own comfort.

The attack swiftly came upon them.  Soldiers, both dead and alive, rushed towards the large group of Med-Jai.  He swallowed and shifted his weight, striking the first soldier in the army of Imhotep that came close.  The fighting came almost without feeling now.  He fought like a machine worked.  Not reason for it.  He just had to.

He could hear the beginning of bodies hitting the earth below and he didn't turn to see if it were Imhotep's soldiers or the Med-Jai.  He couldn't afford the luxury of caring right now.  Sometimes he thought about letting himself die during these little battles.  Ardeth wondered if it would really matter.

Rameses threw women at him and riches and it was nothing.  Ardeth cared for nothing of the rewards Rameses had to give and would just as soon spit in the leader's face as take to heart one of the many things given him.  Somewhere during all this he'd lost his reason to fight, to live.  Maybe today would be the day he let himself die.  Just maybe.  Suddenly a loud sound crackled through the air and Ardeth looked around quickly.  Spotting who he suspected he would in a space just outside the battle, Ardeth pushed away from the creature he'd been fighting and headed out of the battle and to where O'Connell stood.  "So," Imhotep's general said, his eyes tired and his face hard.  "We meet again."

"Indeed, Old Friend," Ardeth replied, holding his weapon down at this side.  "Are you going to shoot me, O'Connell?" he asked.

Rick took a puff of the cigarette he was holding, squinting in the sunlight.  He shrugged.  "I should.  Imhotep would just love that."  His tone bled of sarcasm.  His lips spread into a grin.  "But a part of me doesn't want to give up the chase."

Ardeth smiled at that.  "Nor would I, if I were the one holding that gun."

"Yeah," Rick sighed, rubbing his forehead.  "I guess I should get it over with."  He drew the gun and pointed, cocking it.

Ardeth winced at the click and his mind flashed back to beneath Hamunaptra, while this whole mess was being born.  He thought back on Rick telling him to be good to Evy, that if he wasn't Rick wouldn't allow it to go unpunished.  Even then, amidst the creature's evil torments, times had been so simple.  So cut and dry.  Now his friend held a gun to him, ready to kill him.  Rick hesitated though, something that comforted Ardeth, knowing that it wasn't so easy for Rick to forget the friendship they'd had.  Shaking his head, Rick lowered the gun.  "I can't," he said simply, frowning.

Opening his eyes, Ardeth smiled at his friend, tempted to draw his blade and kill him and pained by that temptation.  He didn't have the chance to think about it much before a blade found it's way through his back and exiting his stomach.  Someone had killed him from behind, he knew as he fell. He listened as Rick yelled out in pain, drawing his gun and sending a round of bullets into his assailant.  Ardeth's vision got fuzzy as O'Connell bent over him.  "Rick," he whispered.

"No, Ardeth," Rick said in low tones, helplessly hovering his hand over the wound, his face betraying the knowledge that there was just nothing that could be done.  "No, buddy.  God help me."

"Rick," Ardeth managed again, fluttering his eyes open.  "It was a good battle."  He smiled then.  "Tell her...I loved her."

Rick nodded fast, cradling Ardeth into his arms, and whispered, "I'm so sorry."

"As am I, Rick," Ardeth told his friend as he lay there dying.  He couldn't believe it was over and yet knew somehow this was right.  "As am I."

**

Rick frowned, taking a step towards the sleeping Med-Jai.  The sound of his feet hitting the sand was loud against the silence of the night, fading only as he closed in on the remnants of the crackling fire that Ardeth must have left burning.  Breathing in the night air, he looked out over the desert, conscious of the fact that the moon was gone, that morning would soon follow.

They'd spotted Ardeth Bay, or rather Imhotep had, as they whirled across the desert.  Not exactly the mode of transportation Rick might have chosen.  For one it was cold.  Very cold as wind swept over his skin.  For another, and more importantly, there was the sensation of falling and yet not.  It was confusing - moreso than the scotch Jonathan had got him drunk with.  Or Rameses rather.  Rick frowned again and stopped, standing over Ardeth.  "Definitely look rested," he said, nudging the sleeping warrior with his boot.  "Ardeth?"

Taking in the warmth of the fire, Rick barely noticed the dark priest hiss in a breath of impatience.  Barely noticed.  Fighting irritation, Rick knelt down and shook Ardeth, whispering, "Wake up, buddy, or Imhotep'll have a nervous breakdown.  Ardeth?"

The warrior stirred and jumped upon awakening, his eyes shocked as he sat up and felt his back.  "O'Connell," he breathed, obviously still disoriented.  "Rick?  How...?"  His eyes searched, landing on Imhotep and Evy.

Sighing, Rick stood up and held his hand out.  "We were traveling and saw you.  You all right?"

Ardeth nodded, taking the hand that was offered, giving his thanks.  "What is the situation?" he asked his friend, afraid almost of what the answer might be.

To his fear, O'Connell snorted and answered, "I've agreed to fight for Imhotep.  For the time being.  Until I can find a way to put a few rounds in him."  He smirked.  "Imhotep wants to offer you the same deal."

"And this deal is fight and live?" Bay said, half asking, half scoffing.  Still...

Rick nodded towards where Imhotep and Evelyn stood.  "Pretty much, yeah."  O'Connell had the look of a man who didn't know what his future held, was afraid it might be all he feared.  Ardeth kept his musings private.

As they approached, Ardeth stopped and cocked his head, wishing he could draw his scimitar and be done with this mess.  "Say what you will," he told the creature, not allowing his eyes to betray his feelings.  He hated Imhotep with a deep, calm rage.

Imhotep didn't miss out on the coldness within Ardeth's stance.  He smiled and paced in front of Ardeth, looking him up and down.  "I will tell you as I told O'Connell.  You've been formidable in the past, at least in this life," he said that with a cold smile that implied ancient things, an old murder that had occurred in Nefertiri's bedroom.  "I would have you in my army.  What have you to say to that?"

Drawing in a long breath, Ardeth looked at O'Connell, wondering what had driven him to make such a choice.  He was right...especially after that dream Ardeth should give over to this offer and forget Rameses, yet that rage burned within still and Ardeth felt sickened at the thought of fighting for this man's cause.

Well, if the same deal was being offered, Ardeth would make the same answer, both pledging his loyalty to Imhotep and pledging to himself that if the chance came he would betray the Priest in a heartbeat.  His eyes couldn't help but glance down at the Black Book, a gesture he cursed himself for after Imhotep smiled darkly.  "I will agree to your request," he answered simply, offering no more than that.

Imhotep's smile increased as he took in the warrior with interest.  "Done, Med-Jai."  He closed the distance between them a little and looked sternly at the man before him.  "She is mine, Ankhwa.  See to it you don't forget that fact or you may end up dead below my feet again."  Ardeth bit back words of anger and hate as the Priest turned to walk away, pausing only to say, "I see your wounds have gone."

Whatever Imhotep thought of that, Ardeth couldn't say nor did he care.  Swallowing, Ardeth reigned in just how sick of this whole deal he was becoming, trying to brush away the very edges of weariness.  To become weary would lead to giving up and that was the last thing Ardeth wished. He watched as Imhotep drew Evelyn into his arms, motioned O'Connell close and then waited for him.

Looking at Evy and Rick was different now and more and more the dreams threatened to taint what he knew of them.  O'Connell's face was still alight with the energy of upcoming battle, still almost innocent of the things to come.  Evelyn's eyes held that strength Ardeth admired, that humor and wit, the unwillingness to succumb to this.  He held onto those things, afraid that if he didn't, then the end would truly be as he'd seen.

He couldn't let that happen.

**

Imhotep stared out over the sands as the morning drifted slowly towards them.  The woman in his arms stirred, but remained asleep, much to his satisfaction.  Looking down at her face, he swallowed, memorizing the little details that made her different than Nefertiri.  Her skin was lighter, the skin of a woman who hadn't spent her life in the heat of the desert.  Imhotep had never seen the world outside Egypt's sands, but had heard the travels of those who'd been in much cooler places.

Her lovely hair was long and dark, entrancingly beautiful, yet wavy, not straight.  Egyptian women cut their hair blunt, straightened it and dressed it in any number of ways, yet her hair now was erratic and curly.  Very soft too.

Evelyn, her name.  Alien to his tongue, yet somehow familiar enough, he supposed.  Eve...he'd heard that name.  The god of the Israelites, the creator of this world as they said, He had begun with one man and one woman - Eve.  Imhotep recalled the story vaguely, something about a snake and temptation.  The woman below tempted him as she had many years ago.

The morning he'd taken her washed through his mind, memories of tears and whimpers, flesh and heat.  He'd gazed at her afterwards much like he did this morning, wondering what he'd just done, what he was getting himself into.  That morning had been bred of fighting with Anck-su-namun, of the continual fight within himself.  He had needed an out and Nefertiri had provided it briefly.  What life might they have shared had he abandoned his doomed relationship with Anck-su-namun?

Her heart belonged to that accursed Med-Jai and Imhotep growled low, thinking on him.  Their lives could have been dramatically different had Nefertiri given up her lover.  Had he given up his.  

He'd definitely thought he'd been in love with the concubine at one time.  Maybe that wasn't correct, maybe lust was a more proper term. Anck-su-namun had a sensuality about her that Imhotep found hard to resist.  She'd taunted and teased him until finally one night within the shadows he'd given himself to her desires.  He'd completely lost the war that night.  He would be hers and would be only too happy to serve her hunger.

After all he could see the poor girl couldn't stand Seti.  Imhotep gazed at the distant blue sky, hating thoughts of Seti.  His trusting Pharaoh. Anck-su-namun had beguiled him into hatred for this man he called King.  She'd fooled him on a lot of things.

He couldn't forget the moment he'd seen them, walked into her apartments and saw Rameses laying over her, groaning sweet promises of power and sex.  And that was what they'd fought about, what drove him to Nefertiri's rooms that night, what caused him to use her the following morning.

She never forgave him after that.  Why should she have?  Nefertiri had watched him murder her beloved in cold blood and if that weren't horrifying enough she'd laid beneath him the very next day while he took out his pain and frustrations on her.  

Not that he'd hurt her - no.  It was more like losing himself to her, making love but not knowing to whom or what fantasy.  After that she didn't speak to him unless spoken to, didn't deny him any outlandish request he made to test her.  She'd given up and maybe that's what had driven him to the madness a few weeks later.

Not knowing what direction to take with his life, Imhotep had done the only thing he thought would bring him any sort of happiness.  He went back to Anck-su-namun's bed, more fervent and passionate, desperate to feel again.  Of course he lied to himself and her, whispering of how their love would last the ages and maybe he'd really believed in it back then.  Not anymore.

Nefertiri and Ankhwa, it seemed their love had lasted through the ages.  Here they were again and he stood between them for another lifetime. Things would be different this life.  He would not kill her lover so hastily, wouldn't let her give up.  

No, he'd win back any semblance of a life he could have had and more.  Much, much more.  He'd steal the world and make it his own playground for the pain in his life.

Nefertiri stirred again and this time her eyes opened.  It happened again as it had happened 3,000 years ago.  First the disorientation flashed across her eyes, followed immediately by the remembrance that she wasn't clothed and that neither was he.  Then her dark eyes gazed into his and held the knowledge of what had happened, what couldn't be stopped if he so chose again.  He'd managed to escape that a few nights ago, but perhaps he deserved it now.  "Morning is here," he said softly, his face betraying nothing of what his thoughts were.

Sitting up slowly, Nefertiri reached for her dress and nodded slowly.  Imhotep stalled her hand, running his fingers up her arm.  "Please," she whispered low.  "Please let me get dressed.  If Ardeth or Rick sees this..."

"Let them see this," Imhotep whispered back, pulling her close and kissing her.  She gave in willingly, hesitantly.  Pulling back, he sighed, knowing he wouldn't find her returning that kiss any time soon.  That would change if it was the last thing he did.  "In time you will not hate me so."

She turned away from him and this time succeeded in grabbing the black clothing.  He didn't stop himself from watching as she slipped it on and frowned at him, waving her hand.  Truly, her sense of modesty was quite backward it seemed.  "Will you raise them today?" she asked, looking out over the burial site.

"Yes," he replied simply, taking his garments from the desert floor.  It amused him to see her turn away while he dressed.  "Go to the other two. Wake them."  Sliding his robe on, Imhotep grabbed the Black Book and opened it.

Evy did as she was told, hugging into herself and heading off behind the rocks that had blocked their view.  Ardeth sat, stirring the fires while Rick still slept.  She stood above.  "Imhotep wants you both awake."

Ardeth didn't meet her eyes, something that worried her.  He merely gazed ahead at the fire.  "And then?"

Shrugging, Evelyn bent over Rick, but didn't wake him just yet.  "He's going to raise the army now."

Bay snorted, tossing the stick into the fire.  "And then we go to kill Rameses.  And the war begins and we lose our souls."

"Ardeth," Evy said softly, watching him intently.  She'd never seen him like this and it frightened her.  "Have you given up so easily?"

He finally did meet her eyes then and the pain there made her wince.  "Have you, Evelyn?"  The jealousy in that question wasn't lost upon her.  He blinked, but stared on.

She dropped his gaze then, unable to meet his eyes.  "Of course not, Ardeth.  What do you want me to say?"

"I want you to say that our time together wasn't nothing," he replied, his brown eyes praying for the answer he needed to hear.

Evy couldn't let his implications go.  "And what do you think of me, Ardeth?" she nearly hissed.  "Do you think I'm some fool girl that's lost her head for a pretty face that's offering her the world and more?"  She couldn't dull the harsh edge to her voice, couldn't stop the tears that formed in her eyes.  "Do you think I want to sleep with him?"

Ardeth swallowed, eyes washing over her face in pain.  "I've had dreams, Evelyn.  Dreams of you, perfectly willing and happy in his arms."

The look she gave him issued immediate regret, but before he could answer to it she pushed Rick roughly and stood up.  "Rick, wake yourself up," she growled, squinting at Ardeth before storming off.

Rick pulled himself into a sitting position.  "What the..." he breathed, looking around.  "Did you push me?"

Gritting his teeth, Ardeth looked around for another stick to burn and frowned at the empty desert floor, answering, "No.  Evelyn did."

Rubbing his face, Rick sighed and looked at Ardeth's pack.  "I don't suppose you have anything alcoholic in there?"

"I'm sorry, my friend.  Only water," the warrior replied, gazing off where Evy had headed.  Somehow that other future was more tangible.

O'Connell grunted and stretched.  "I'm never gonna get enough sleep," he complained at Ardeth's continued silence.

Bay looked at the sand below, grabbing some and letting it run from his hands.  "At least you slept some."  Ardeth exhaled deeply at the sounds that invaded his mind.  He could hear it plainly even still, Evy's moans and Imhotep's sensual whispers.  It tormented him to no end and he cursed himself for the curiosity that had led him to confirm his suspicions of why Imhotep had insisted on privacy.

"You okay, Ardeth?" Rick asked, breaking from a yawn and eyeing him.

The warrior couldn't bring himself to answer, afraid of what that answer might be or if it might be a lie.  One thing was certain, he wasn't ready to face Imhotep.  Of course that didn't matter any, he would have to momentarily and allowing his anger to take over would only get him killed.  So he would have to bite his tongue and follow this man.

But one question kept asking itself over and over.  What was worse - that dream coming to pass or bowing bbefore this man he so hated?  The thought of dying for Imhotep's cause made him tremble in anger and made the temptation of Rameses' offer that much more attractive.  Still, he couldn't let his rage blind him and lead him into making a bigger mistake than the ones already made.  "I must remain calm," he told himself, conscious that O'Connell was watching him.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay," Rick told his friend, concern mirrored in those blue eyes.  He followed Ardeth's gaze as he once more looked towards the rock formations that kept them from seeing Imhotep and Evy.  "She's strong.  Stronger than you could know.  She'll get through this okay."

Ardeth nodded slowly, praying that was true.  "I'm counting on that, O'Connell.  She must be strong in the days to come."  He bit back the images from his dreams, unwilling to bother anyone else with them.

"Yeah," Rick agreed quietly, exhaling a deep breath.  "We all should be."

**

Slow foot falls echoed through the chambers beneath the site where Hamunaptra had once stood in the blazing glory of sunlight.  Careful steps, so as not to arouse interest if someone were here to listen.  The place seemed dead as he made his way past fallen columns and crumbling walls to where the secret compartment was.

Pushing a fresh spider web from his path, Rameses pushed his torch forward and peered into the darkness.  Nothing returned to his ears other than the sound of his shoes against the stone floor.  Even still, he feared Imhotep may still be lurking down within Hamunaptra and until he reached his destination he would be in constant danger.

Oh, how Imhotep disgusted him.  Weak, foolish, compassionate !  Everything that had led the priest into his trap 3,000 years ago was still present today.  He'd fallen into Anck-su-namun's bed almost instantly and had completely given himself to her, forever trapping him to do whatever will she might have.  Rameses smirked at that weakness.

His little whore, he'd called Anck-su-namun behind her back.  She was beautiful and ruthless, two things Rameses found much to his liking and yes, he supposed there had been a genuine fondness there.  Neither of them were strangers to the greed and allure of power.  She could have been his match, perhaps.

At any rate, she was perfect for his purpose.  Her traits made her the perfect candidate for murdering Seti so that he could take the throne.  Of course he hadn't walked into her life knowing exactly what they would do, but instead seduced her slowly, promising power and wealth - at the price of Seti's life.

Anck-su-namun hated Seti and was ready to do anything to rid herself of her master.  It was her genius that had birthed the plot to goad someone into killing her soon to be husband and later that job would fall to Imhotep.

It never bothered Rameses that she'd found Imhotep attractive and was obsessive in her pursuit that he be the one to kill Seti.  The thrill of ruining a respected man like Imhotep fueled her lusts, Rameses surmised and yes, the man was handsome.  No, what bothered him was how it all ended. Why in the world had she died for him?  Change of heart?  Had she truly fallen in love with the darkly handsome and gullible priest?

Rameses snorted at the stupidity of it all, thrusting his torch before him and entering another hall.  Well, she'd met the end she worked for and he'd gained what he wanted.  A part of him regretted killing Imhotep though.  He'd have enjoyed watching his sister squirm under such a marriage.

Evy.  The attraction to tormenting her seemed less tempting now for some reason.  Rameses set his jaw and entered a dark, shadowy chamber.  I will not be weak! he told himself, looking around the room.  "Evelyn means nothing to me," he hissed angrily, crouching behind a column and opening the wall.  "Nothing!  Do you hear me, Jonathan?"

Frowning at the thoughts tumbling around inside, Rameses pulled out his prize - the Gold Book.  He laughed in contempt that Imhotep had failed to find it in this place he'd hidden it only a few days ago.  Imhotep was truly a fool if he thought he was going to win this time.  Rameses always got what he wanted.

This life would be no different.