Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter Thirteen - The Priest and Thee Prince
Rating:  PG13
Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/ninthsaturn
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.

Note:  Long time in the making, huh?  I've been struggling with exactly how to proceed and it finally hit me.  I hope you've enjoyed this little story as much as I've enjoyed writing it, despite the many troubles.  ;-)  Enjoy and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your reviews.

**

Rick frowned as he stood beside Ardeth, waiting for Imhotep to act.  The priest had wanted everyone present to see the magnificent raising of the dead slaves and commoners of Egypt.  Well, this wasn't something Rick really cared to watch.  It occurred to Rick then that many if not most of these people hadn't been mummified, unable to pay.  Would these dead things be weaker than those of Rameses, who could have afforded such luxury?

He could really use a cigarette, he decided.  He shook his head at his empty pockets.  Besides, no personal vice would take out the nervous feeling within him.  Swallowing, he looked over the empty sands that would soon be filled with dead.  Skeletal beings that had little to no weapons.  Well, at least they had Imhotep.  He was more than a match for Rameses physically - if that was the appropriate term.  Rick smirked at his taking comfort in having the protection of Imhotep - he who had tried to kill him and Evy before, he who would have the world.

Maybe there wasn't any escaping this man.  They had stopped him before and thought everything would be fine from then on, but here he was in a battle far more serious than what they'd endured last time.  If they managed to put Imhotep again in his grave would he rise once more?  Rick had been thinking a lot about fate lately, about the way the world seemed to work.  Maybe there was nothing they could do to stop whatever was going to happen.

Another thing that Rick wondered at was his own role in all of this.  Evy was Nefertiri, Jonathan was Rameses.  Ardeth was Ankhwa and Imhotep was himself.  Who was Rick O'Connell, but an ex-Legionairre and dashing ladies man?  He certainly wasn't Seti, he hoped.  He grunted, hearing Jonathan in his mind, asking for a "smoochie" as the brief, very brief , idea occurred to him that he could be Anck-su-namun reincarnated as a male.

He could ask Imhotep, he supposed.  No harm in finding out what his future held.  Sighing, he looked to the priest as he read through the Dark Book.  "Why doesn't he just get on with it?" he asked the man beside him.

Ardeth gazed out into the distance.  "I believe he is waiting for a specific moment or position of the sun.  I cannot tell you why, my friend, but it's my guess."  He shrugged.

Rick took a breath and looked at Evy who stood with Imhotep, looking down at the Dark Book with the priest.  He could see why Ardeth was so bothered.  Maybe history could be changed after all.  She certainly seemed okay with Imhotep, not as afraid as she'd once been.

Maybe he was the changing factor.  Silly idea, he supposed, but wasn't there some saying about how a butterfly's wing beats could cause a storm on the other side of the world?  Perhaps he was the change that fate needed to create a new path for these others who seemed drawn to one another across the ages.  But this was no time to second guess one's self.  He would proceed as his conscience told him.

Imhotep moved finally, standing ahead of everyone with the book.  He said something that Evy translated quickly as, "Behold" and began to chant from the Book of the Dead.  Rick clenched his fists in expectation.

The words didn't take effect right away, Rick noticed.  No, rather than corpses popping out of the ground or where ever they were going to emerge, instead a quiet breeze started, perhaps by coincidence.  Still, it chilled Rick with it's perfect timing and he supposed there was a reason why all the good scary stories had cued winds.

Then came something else, almost imperceptible, yet Rick could feel it on the very edges of sensation.  "Do you feel that?" he whispered to Ardeth, hands spread as he looked around him.

"I feel it," Ardeth confirmed, still gazing out over the desert.

A low rumbling within the earth made Rick uneasy as it grew more tangible.  Licking his lips, he wondered if this was what happened when Jo...Rameses had raised the army that Imhotep spoke of.  The priest's voice seemed to pick up as well, in both it's speed and volume, echoing out across the vastness.

Imhotep abruptly stopped and looked to Evy, speaking the ancient tongue and then his eyes returned to the pages of the Book of the Dead.  Rick watched as the priest began the horrid chanting again, this time coupled with Evy's angelic voice.  He wasn't sure why, but the sound of their words bothered something within him.  Made him uneasy.  "Why...why is she chanting?" Rick asked, not liking the idea.

Ardeth frowned, meeting his eyes.  "He asked of her that she speak with him, adding her agreement to his words.  I'm not entirely certain why, perhaps it adds more urgency to the summons," he answered, then as an afterthought added, "I will not speak those words."

Rick turned his eyes back to the sand, noticing a shifting there.  It was like the ground was alive as it writhed below where they stood.   The sand started popping up, almost like water boiling, sending dust into the air.  O'Connell could barely make out a strange sound...like a chattering or clanking.  And before long he could make out what the source of those odd sounds were.

Dark hands clutched the ground, pulling dark forms unto the surface of the earth.  They moved slowly and Rick heard one of the most awful sounds in his life.  Echoes of inhuman wailing spread throughout the growing gathering below.  And whispers.  Strange whispers that he found very unsettling.  He wanted to block his ears from hearing any of this.  Looking to Ardeth he could see the same disquiet in his eyes, and looking to Evy produced the same effect.  The very atmosphere was charged with a strange anxiety and Rick wanted no part of this.

She backed away slowly, her voice breaking in her chants as she shivered away and came to them.  "Oh my God," she breathed, covering her lips.  "It's awful."

Ardeth nodded gently and gazed.  "Yes.  Their souls cry out."

Imhotep stopped his chanting and raised his arms, speaking loudly to the dead before them.  Licking her lips, Evy quickly translated as Imhotep spoke.  "I greet you, my servants," she said softly, watching the skeletal beings turn their attention to Imhotep.  "I hear how you groan.  The life that fills this place burns you and agonizes you.  But, my servants, I am your master and I have need of you.  Only when Rameses lays dead upon the ground may I grant you the rest you so desire.  Gather yourselves, make ready, for we are at war!"

The still growing crowd of corpses groaned loudly in what Rick might have guessed was a war cry, but their hollow tones sounded low and hungry. Rick shivered and looked to Ardeth and Evy.  "And so it has begun," Ardeth said gravely.  He looked to both Rick and Evy.  "We must do what we must, but we cannot forsake the good of all humanity.  Everything could depend on us.  Promise me, both of you."

Rick swallowed and nodded.  "Yeah, sure, Ardeth."

Evy nodded her agreement.  "Of course, Ardeth."

She sounded shaken, as well as Ardeth.  Hell, Rick conceded he probably sounded shaken.  He certainly felt it.  Inhaling deeply, he turned to look at the dead and saw Imhotep gazing back at them, grinning darkly.

**

Ardeth marched silently beside the dead around them, Rick at his side and Imhotep and Evy ahead.  He looked at the Black Book within his hands, entrusted to him bu the dread priest.  Almost as if he were being tested.  Ardeth exhaled in frustration.  Imhotep gave him the book to see if he would run off with it.  The trouble was, not even Ardeth knew if he would do that, given the chance.  Looking out over the desert, he thought of the Med-Jai and of the countless lives on this planet that had no clue something this dangerous was happening within the deserts of Egypt.

There would be mothers in London, combing their daughters' hair.  Fathers in America that taught their sons to be men.  All oblivious to what was happening so far away.  "Geez," Rick huffed at his side.

Ardeth looked up in amusement as a skeleton hovered close to Rick, causing O'Connell to bat it away and curse.  "I seen you've made a friend," Ardeth mused, smiling.

Rick rolled his eyes and shoved the dead hand off his shoulder.  "Yeah," he growled, poking Imhotep's shoulder.  The dark priest looked back in annoyance and Rick hissed, "Do they have to touch me?"

Imhotep looked to Evy for translation and laughed when she spoke.  She gazed back at Rick and Ardeth could swear he saw the corners of her lips twitch as she told O'Connell, "He said they're only trying to be friendly."

Rick rolled his eyes and rubbed his forehead.  "Right," he said, exhaling.  "Friendly."

Shaking her head, Evy looked back up to Imhotep and Ardeth listened.  "Are you sure they want to be friendly?"

Imhotep smiled softly at her and answered, "No, they do not.  They feel like the life in you three and wish to steal it away."

Evelyn widened her eyes in alarm.  "And you're joking about it?"

The priest smirked and shrugged.  "They have not the power, nor the knowledge to steal a soul."  He grasped her hand and rubbed.  "Nefertiri, you must trust me.  I will not allow harm to come to you and as long as your friends serve me, nor harm shall befall them either."

Ardeth bit back a grunt and looked back down at the book in his hands, again wondering what he should do.  Beside him, Rick growled in irritation, throwing a pawing hand off his arm and saying, "Now I know what the women Jonathan hangs around with feel like."

The Med-Jai grunted at that and nodded absently.  He thought briefly of planning some sort of action with O'Connell then, and dismissed it.  No, it would be better if he acted alone.

Ardeth looked from side to side, hearing horses in the distance.  The Med-Jai?  Swallowing, he kept his eyes ever looking for any sign of the elusive warriors that had likely been tailing them for some time.  They would show themselves, Ardeth knew.  Otherwise even he would not have known they were close.

Imhotep picked up on the sounds as well, his preternatural senses likely tuned far beyond Ardeth's possibility.  "Someone approaches," he breathed, also looking around the desert.  He turned to Ardeth.  "Your people?"

Ardeth nodded and kept searching.  "There," he said, pointing.  "They come from that direction."

The creature turned his gaze to follow Imhotep's and they waited for long moments until finally the dark outlines of men on horses could been seen across the desert.  It wasn't an entire army of his people, but it was a large group.  Not enough to stop Imhotep's army.  They headed towards the army of the dead at a pace just under a charge and soon Ardeth began making out faces.  He stepped forward to greet them, uncertain as to what would happen now.  "Ali," he breathed, gazing up at the leader.

Ali stopped his horse and gazed down.  "Ardeth Bay, so now you fight with the enemy?" he asked, his face puzzled.

Up until now Ardeth had always overlooked Ali and his questioning behavior, his accusations.  But not this time.  Ali was going to get these people killed taking this attitude.  Moving forward, Ardeth stood tall.  "What I do and what I have always done has been for the good of our people, Ali. You constantly question me and I constantly push that aside and reassure you, yet still you come to me in the same way.  Put your pride away before you get our people killed."

Ali looked down at Ardeth, then to the creature and the two outlanders that stood nearby.  "Our people would rather die proud than live in the dishonor of fighting with that creature," he retorted.  "I question you, Ardeth Bay, because you are not like my people.  Neither you, nor your father."

Shaking his head, Ardeth looked down at the sands and then back into the youth's eyes.  "We have always upheld the Med-Jai way and have done all in our power to protect what is ours."

"You do not protect our ways," Ali laughed, his horse taking steps back.  "Giving in to the enemy is not our way.  It may be your way, but not the way of a true Med-Jai."

"I have not given in to the enemy!" Ardeth growled, taking a step towards Ali and pointing.  "I will not argue with you over this, Ali.  Too much is at stake.  You would throw these words in my face when the whole world is about to erupt in a war like no one has ever seen."

Imhotep took that opportunity to step in behind Ardeth and warn, "He wishes to see a quick death.  I care not for this little fight you are having.  He will fight for me or will be crushed."

Ali watched in interest, yet was at a loss, having not been trained in the old tongue.  "And what does your master command?" he asked.

Ardeth looked to Ali, making grave eye contact.  "His army far outnumbers the band you have behind you and I fear a fight would only end in bloodshed.  He said if you aren't with him you are against him.  Please use wisdom, Ali."

The young man thought on Ardeth's words and said, "Then we are against him."

Clenching his fist, Ardeth grabbed his scimitar and ripped it from his belt.  "Then I challenge your authority over this group!"  He swallowed, having no wish to kill Ali, seeing no other choice.

Grinning, Ali stepped down from his horse and drew his scimitar.  "You challenge me?" he breathed, holding his blade.  "Very well, Bay.  Fight me."

Ardeth held his blade forth, conscious that Imhotep could likely at any moment step in and end Ali's life, but oddly enough the priest was silent.  A part of him must have understood what was happening and that he needed to stay out of it.  Clenching his teeth, Ardeth evaded a strike and struck back.  "I do not wish to do this, Ali, but I cannot let you lead these people into death."

"But you would lead them into submission," Ali retorted, driving forward.  "A fate worse than death."

Ardeth blocked his thrust and swiped at the younger man.  "Ali, you are too young to understand the importance of what's going on, but if you cannot have some wisdom about you then your life would not be long anyway."

Ali slit his eyes, pushing Ardeth back as he fought and managed, "I will live longer than you, Bay."  He swung at Ardeth quickly.

There could be no help for it.  Ardeth was more experienced than Ali and in the heat of an argument and battle things could go wrong...and they did. Horribly wrong.  Without meaning to Ardeth struck the younger man in the stomach and he collapsed to the sands below.  "No!" Ardeth breathed, throwing his blade down and falling to his knees.

Ali choked and looked up, grinning.  "So you win," he said softly, closing his eyes.

"Ali," Ardeth replied, taking the young warrior's hand.  "I didn't mean for you to die."  He looked up across the desert, at the Med-Jai.

"Do not lead our people into vile submission," Ali managed, staring up at Ardeth.

Ardeth shook his head quickly.  "No, Ali.  Everything I will ever do will be for the good of the Med-Jai and the world."  He watched for a response and got only a small smile before Ali lay perfectly still.  A matter of moments had taken this boy's life, the first in a likely long line of humanity.  Rising slowly, he gathered his wits about him, the sense of urgency not quieted within him.  He looked to his people.  "Who would take his place?"

"I would," an older voice called, a voice even older than Ardeth.  He drew his horse from the Med-Jai.

Ardeth instantly recognized him.  "Omar, you have come from Cairo?" he asked the gray haired man before him.

Omar nodded.  "Yes.  Miss Carnahan came into Cairo a few days ago with the creature, so I knew you must be out in the desert.  When I reached our people your uncle told me you left."  He smiled.  "Your father would be proud of the strength you possess."

Ardeth nodded his thanks, wondering how proud his father would be of the fact that Ali lay on the desert ground below Ardeth's feet.  "And how will you handle this situation we have?" he asked, motioning towards the dead soldiers behind.

Omar took a deep breath.  "Ali meant well, his heart was in the right place, but unfortunately his head was not.  That's a dangerous thing out here.  Your creature would kill us if we decided to fight?"

Ardeth fought the urge to wince at Omar's use of the word 'your' and nodded.  "There is another army out there that he seeks to find and destroy.  An army lead by a man possessed of ancient memories of a life long ago.  If you stand against Imhotep, then you stand with Rameses."

Rubbing his cheek in thought, Omar frowned.  "You won the battle, Ardeth Bay.  It is your command I will follow."

That relieved Ardeth some.  Swallowing, he turned to Imhotep, wishing that his father still lived.  He could use his counsel now more than ever before.  "The follow my command," he told the creature.  His next words pained him, but he knew that for now, in order to keep his people alive long enough to beat both Rameses and Imhotep, it must be said.  "Save for a small group that will care for Ali, they are yours to command through me." He drew in a breath, his heart still aching for the dead man below him.

Imhotep looked at the band of Med-Jai and back to Ardeth.  He smiled, his eyes hinting of something that Ardeth wasn't sure he wanted to know.  "But your young foe shall even serve me."  Dark eyes slid to where Ardeth had dropped the Black Book.

"No!" Ardeth spat, raising his hands to grab at Imhotep, yet holding his anger back.  "Do not do this to him.  Let this young one rest, Imhotep!  I forbid you to raise him."

Imhotep looked him over with unamused eyes, then sighed.  "You will not forbid me anything.  Remember that.  But I can be fair with you, Ankhwa. I will not be needlessly cruel.  Very well.  Tell a small group of your men to care for the little warrior.  The rest will join in my army.  If your people carry extra weapons I suggest you tell them to share with the dead behind me.  We need all the power we can gather if we are to stop Rameses."

The creature watched a moment longer, then turned and walked back to Evy and Rick.  Ardeth watched him go, stunned at the creature's actions.  Drawing in a breath, he turned and looked at Omar.  "Have a small group of men carry Ali back to our people.  The rest will join with Imhotep for now.  My uncle is to be told that Horus flies east towards the sunrise."

Omar didn't question Ardeth's orders and turned his horse to carry them out.  Turning back, Ardeth moved slowly to rejoin Evy and O'Connell, picking the Black Book up and glancing one last time to where Ali lay dead in the sand.  "Allah forgive me," he breathed, closing his eyes.  He was grateful when Evy's hand took his and squeezed.

**

Rameses rubbed his hands together and shivered, still bound by mortal weaknesses such as the chill of night.  He'd stopped his army completely now, waiting for Imhotep.  There was nothing else he could do but wait for him.  Rameses had no clue where the dark priest was.  What worried him was the fact that Imhotep possessed the key still.  The key that locked Rameses out of the Book of Ra, locked him from the very words that would take Imhotep's power away.

He needed an advantage.  The Gold Book was one hell of an advantage, very true, but it was nothing without the key.  Rameses kicked the sand below his feet and growling, imagined the key to be somewhere on Imhotep's person.  He'd never get it that way.  Unless...

Rameses growled and gazed at a dead Med-Jai woman that sat nearby, her sunken eyes staring in complete disinterest out across the desert sands. She couldn't have died more than a month ago, Rameses estimated.  She looked as if she'd been sick.  He frowned at her occasional moanings and looked up at the darkening sky.

And advantage, an advantage, but what?  What could be possibly use over the priest?  It wasn't as if Anck-su-namun were alive...

Nefertiri?  Would that be enough?  Rameses chuckled to himself darkly.  "Yes," he whispered, grabbing a small rock from the desert floor.  He tossed it into the crowd of dead, grinning at their confusion.  "I think that priest is just fool enough to be weak where Evy is concerned.  What do you think, Jonathan?"

He laughed at the pain and fear that washed over him momentarily.  Jonathan's feelings could bleed through if powerful enough and he desperately didn't want his sister to get hurt.  Rameses smirked at that.  "But how, dear Jonathan, are we going to get her away?  We don't even know where she is."

Rameses smiled at the thoughts that tumbled through his mind, images of killing Nefertiri and Imhotep.  Then, frowning in disgust, he kicked at the dead Med-Jai woman, causing her to groan slowly and claw her way back into a sitting position.  "Don't look at me.  I don't like it," he told her and she turned away in mindless obedience.

Standing up, he went to the 'leader' of his army, his own father.  Now slave to his son's will, the mummy of Seti sat as commanded, awaiting his next order.  He groaned as Rameses neared, they all did.  "Father, old boy, I'm going to try and find Nefertiri.  Keep an eye on things, will you?  And if Imhotep comes, do all that you can to destroy him."

"Dessstrooyy," Seti hissed, his hands outstretched towards Rameses, fingers clutching at the air as the obsession with rest tormented him.  "Dessstrooooyyyy!"

Rameses looked the corpse over and frowned, kicking his father's dead hands away.  "Will you obey?"

"Obeeey," Seti whimpered, cringing in agony, his soul begging for release.

Shaking his head, Rameses headed off to be alone so he could think above the sound of their constant groaning.  Dead people, he decided, annoyed the hell out of him.  Now if he were going to kidnap Nefertiri, he was going to have to know where she was.  Rameses grinned as he chanted the same words he'd used to watch her and the others earlier.  Just as he had with Ardeth, he would locate her and use a spell of teleportation to go directly to her.  Rameses was a master spell weaver, knew of spells possibly even Imhotep was not privy to.

A great mist began forming before his eyes, thickening and forming pictures.  He could see an army not unlike his own except not far was a group of living men.  Rameses frowned, recognizing their robes.  "Traitor," he whispered, spotting Ardeth Bay.  But Ardeth held the Black Book!  Maybe there was still a chance he would have a hold over that Med-Jai.  Ardeth Bay was a smart man.  He'd certainly see the wisdom in choosing the winning side.

Shaking his head, Rameses looked further into the area, spotting O'Connell talking to a small group of Med-Jai.  Further still, within the darkness, Imhotep stood, almost unseen just out of the range of the fires.  He watched his army and contemplated gravely.  "Be afraid," Rameses whispered to the priest, his fists clenching.  "Be very afraid."

Exhaling his hatred, Rameses concentrated on Evy.  He could sense her presence and knew she wasn't far from the campsite.  Drawing all his thoughts to her being and seeking to find her, he watched as the picture changed into an oasis.  His sister was dipping her toes into a small pond, eyes gazing out over the water at the reflection of the moon on it's surface.  "Bingo," Rameses whispered, chanting the words to his spell of transportation.

The world around him started to get fuzzy and cold as his body began fading from one location and appearing in another.  Immediately upon entering the new area, Rameses felt a rush of heat and dizziness come upon him.  He braced against a nearby tree that he'd luckily popped next to and not into, and caught his breath.

There she was, not twenty feet away.  The darkness concealed him from her eyes, but unfortunately not her ears.  Standing up, Evy gazed around and said quietly, "Is someone there?"  Rameses waited as she withdrew from the water and onto the sand.  "Rick?  Ardeth?  Are you trying to scare me?  Imhotep?"

Rolling his eyes, Rameses crept forth and as quickly as he could grabbed her.  She struggled in his grasp and tried to cry out, but it was too late. His hand already covered her lips.  "Shh, Baby Sister," he whispered, dragging her further away from the camp.  "There's nothing to worry about."

Evy began trying to wrench herself from him as he began to recite the spell once more.  Catching him off guard, she turned in his arms and punched him in the stomach.  Taking advantage of his shock, she screamed, "Help!  Imhotep!  Ardeth!  Rick!"

Rameses snarled and grabbed her again, pulling her away and not caring to stop her screams now as figures headed towards them.  Chanting darkly, he pulled her, concentrating on both the words he was saying and keeping her in his arms until the spell was released.

The last thing Rameses saw was the outrage on Imhotep's face as they disappeared.

**

They appeared suddenly elsewhere and Evy stumbled to the sand below, suddenly very queasy.  "Ardeth," she breathed, trying to fight down a wave of nausea.  She was vaguely aware of Rameses nearby, panting for air.  She pushed herself up and tried to get away, but she felt too awful.

Rameses stalked towards her and without saying a word he sent his hand across her face, sending her to the desert ground again.  "You'd better learn to be obedient, Nefertiri," he told her, still breathless as he stood there.  "For starters, there will be no trying to get away.  Got it?"

Looking up at him and scowling, Evy drew herself to her knees.  "Imhotep will find you," she growled, rubbing her reddened cheek.

He laughed at that, hands on his hips, as he gazed down at her.  "Second," he said, his fingers wrapping roughly around her arms and dragging her up, "there will be no mentioning that foolish priest."  He slapped her again, holding her up so she didn't fall against the impact.

He raised his hand to her again and she winced, waiting for another hit.  Evy couldn't help but whimper in pain, both the pain of being hit and the hurt inside at seeing her own brother doing such terrible things.  Memories of him killing her flooded through her mind and she shivered in his grasp.  "Oh, Jonathan," she whispered, wishing there was something she could do to bring him back.

The hand struck her already stinging face and he shoved her down to the ground.  "Third and most importantly, Nef, you will never mention that name in my presence again."  He said that through gritted teeth that bespoke of his contempt for his latest incarnation.  "Next time I hear that name I will beat you until you can't move.  Do you understand me?"

All Evy could do was nod as she hovered on all fours.  She didn't know what to do now.  Would getting up make him angry?  Would looking up bring her more punishment?  She  risked a glance up and saw him watching her curiously.  Yes, if the world had to be ruled by either him or the creature, she was now more convinced that Imhotep would be the lesser of two evils.

Evy sat back and wrapped her arms around her knees, watching him silently.  She never dreamed of herself praying Imhotep would find her, but now she did just that.  Rameses smirked and sat down across from her, crossing his arms and keeping his eyes locked with hers.

**

Ardeth and Rick stood back, watching as Imhotep, in a voice that was filled with rage, howled at his dead army.  "He's calling them to ready themselves for battle," Ardeth informed his friend as the priest yelled on.

Rick took a breath and nodded.  "Yeah, I imagine he's pretty upset right about now.  I wonder what...what Rameses wants with her."

"An advantage," Ardeth guessed, crossing his arms and exhaling as Imhotep stalked towards them.

"You will ready your people," Imhotep ordered darkly, his gaze waiting for any hint of disobedience that would allow him to kill Ardeth where he stood.

Ardeth would give him no such excuse.  He nodded and said, "I will do as you say, Imhotep."

Imhotep's gaze continued for a long moment, then he nodded.  "I will go and look upon the desert.  When I return we will march on the army of Rameses."

Ardeth nodded again and watched as Imhotep stalked off, his body losing form and becoming the very sand of Egypt.  A small gust of wind hit them as the creature drew the air around them and used it to travel on.  "I wonder why Rameses needs an advantage," Rick mused, also watching the direction Imhotep had disappeared in.

Taking a breath, Ardeth shook his head.  "Perhaps he doesn't have the Book of Amun Ra as we thought.  Imhotep goes to find him now."

Rick frowned and took out a gun to check it.  Opening the barrel and pulling out some bullets, he loaded the empty slots and then said, "The key."

"What?" Ardeth asked, stopping himself from moving to his men.  "The key?"

Shrugging Rick, nodded.  "Imhotep has the key.  I saw him use it to open the Black Book.  Maybe that's what Rameses is after."

The Med-Jai thought on it and agreed.  He took a few steps away and said,  "You could be on to something.  I must go and prepare my men.  Guard the Book of the Dead while I go."

"Sure thing," O'Connell said, closing his gun and starting on another one.

Ardeth picked up his pace and trotted to Omar, who sat quietly near one of the campfires.  "I take it we have trouble," the older man said without moving.  "Someone kidnapped the woman?"

Nodding, Ardeth stood above Omar.  "Yes.  Rameses took her before any of us could reach her.  The creature left to find where Rameses and his army are waiting.  When he returns we will head for the enemy.  He wants the men prepared."

Omar shook his head and exhaled, standing up.  "The men could stand more rest.  The fighting will be hard, especially if the distance we travel is great."

"Yes," Ardeth agreed, looking over the Med-Jai that were, for the most part, asleep.  His dark eyes looked Omar over.  "Do not doubt, my friend, that if I see an opportunity to kill the creature, I will."

Omar nodded gravely, locking eyes with Ardeth.  "I do not doubt your wisdom, Ardeth Bay.  You are your father's son."  The older Med-Jai gripped Ardeth's shoulder, then moved away and began to wake the others.

**

Imhotep frowned darkly from the shadows, watching as Rameses stayed close to his sister.  The heartless would-be king sat, rubbing the blade of a knife against his thumb and speaking darkly to Nefertiri.  Imhotep listened with preternatural hearing to the words that came from Rameses.  "Do you remember how I killed you, Nefertiri?"

Evy nodded, looking down.  Imhotep could see a bruise on her cheek and he hissed in a breath, tempted to stalk over and murder Rameses now.  But Nefertiri's life would be in danger if he did.  Of course the tactical thing to do would be to take the chance, but Imhotep hesitated at that.  He didn't want his lovely prize to be killed by her brother.  And so he listened.

"Maybe I'll find a more interesting way to kill you this time," Rameses sighed, looking at his reflection in the knife.  "I admit, cutting you up had it's high points.  I enjoyed it greatly.  But I don't know.  If I do it the same way again, won't that be boring?"

Nefertiri didn't respond, only looked up at the stars.  Imhotep watched as Rameses held the knife up, pretending to slash at her.  "Give me your hand," he suddenly ordered, and Imhotep watched keenly.

"Why?" she asked, her fearful voice carrying over to Imhotep through the darkness.

Rameses leaned forward and back-handed her, then grabbed her hand and growled, "You'd better learn obedience faster, Nef."

"What are you doing?" she replied, ignoring his anger.  Her dark eyes were wide in fear as Rameses took his knife and his eyes gazed at the skin of her palm.

Imhotep growled low when she screamed, Rameses cutting the flesh of her hand.  He could hear her whimpering as she tried to get her hand away from the cruel man before her.  Unable to contain his rage, Imhotep stalked from the dark and into the open.  Rameses was grinning as he hurt her and Nefertiri was cupping her free hand over her lips, holding in her cries.  "Stop this," the priest commanded quietly, his fists clenched.

Rameses looked up and rolled his eyes, pulling the knife from Nefertiri and yanking her into his arms.  He held the knife to her throat and glared up at his enemy.  "You could kill me now, Imhotep," Rameses said in a voice filled with hate, "but are you willing to at the price of her life?"

Imhotep ignored Rameses and looked down at Nefertiri as tears raced down her cheeks.  She squeezed at her left wrist, the hand that had been cut, and shivered in pain as her eyes pleaded for Imhotep to help her.  "Why must you behave like an animal?" Imhotep asked, sliding his eyes to Rameses.

Laughing, Rameses shook his head, fingering the knife he held, still holding it to Nefertiri.  "Why must you behave like a girl child?" he retorted.  "You care so much.  It breaks your little heart to see her suffering, doesn't it?  What should I do to her next?  Break her legs, maybe?  Maybe I should take her like you did that..."

Inhaling sharply, the dark priest swallowed and hissed, "What are your demands, Rameses?"

"Oh?" Rameses replied, squinting up at the priest.  "What makes you think I didn't kidnap her for the fun or tormenting her?"

Imhotep pointed a finger and Rameses, shaking his head.  "Do not play games with me, Prince!  You will tell me what I wish to know!"

Laughing, the dark incarnation of Jonathan rubbed the knife against Evy's throat and answered, "I want the key."

Gritting his teeth, Imhotep turned around and stalked out towards the darkness.  The key!  So, this fool prince had the Gold Book and needed the key to open it!  If Rameses thought he was going to win this little war, he was sadly mistaken.  But how to get Nefertiri back without her being harmed...that was what Imhotep needed to figure out.  "Think about it," Rameses called, the amusement evident in his voice.

Disappearing in a whirlwind, Imhotep swallowed his fury and headed back to the camp to gather his army.

**

Upon waking, Rameses quickly looked to where he'd left Evy.  Sure enough, she was still there, too exhausted to move or dream of escape.  A smile spread across his face as he thought back on the torment he'd put her through, both with spells of fear and pain and with real agony.  His bloody knife laid in this sand beside him and he grabbed it, intent on cutting her again.

But first thing was first.  Crawling to where Evy lay, still unconscious, Rameses grabbed her and spoke words of healing over her.  She moaned and awoke, immediately struggling in his grasp.  "My God," she breathed, her eyes staring into his as the tingling began.

Rameses gazed down, watching as her cuts closed, skin bound together and blood dried on her.  She shook in his arms, the healing both immensely relieving and at the same time coming with a price.  He smiled into her fear filled eyes and whispered, "I'm going to do it again."

Immediately tears started forming as the horrible realization dawned on her.  He would use his the blade on her again, cutting without mercy and reveling in her screams.  Falling back, Rameses watched as she curled up, trying to contain her fear.  But before he could rise to get his satisfaction something caught his attention.  A rumbling in the distance.

Rameses was on his feet instantly, looking out in the direction he could hear the thundering come from.  Imhotep approached with an army at his back.  Reaching down, Rameses ripped Evy to her feet and pointed.  "Your master comes," he said, laughing.  "He comes to die, along with Ardeth and Rick."

Evy pulled herself away from Rameses and rubbed her face tiredly.  "Imhotep will destroy you," she retorted hotly.

He laughed again and grabbed for her, pulling her to him.  "You want Jonathan to die?" he asked, looking into her eyes.

Closing her own eyes and holding herself still, Evy growled, "You are not Jonathan!"  She wrenched herself away, wiping the tears that streamed down her cheeks.  "Not anymore."

"Oh, how sad."  Rameses rolled his eyes and watched as the army headed towards his own.  It would only take moments for them to arrive.  He turned and grabbed the Book of Ra from the ground and held to it, commanding his army to stand and ready for war.

As the army came closer, Rameses could see the skeletal warriors.  Beyond the legions of dead came horses, proud Med-Jai warriors riding them, scimitars drawn.  And of course at the forefront of the advancement was Imhotep, walking with purpose, robes flowing in the wind.  Rameses laid eyes on Ardeth Bay and the book he held.  Would he betray the creature?

Looking to Evy, Rameses decided to reward the warrior with a night or two upon his sister.  Of course he couldn't give her to him outright, that would weaken his hold on the Med-Jai, but if Ardeth did the smart thing, that would deserve something in return.  Naturally, if Ardeth didn't betray Imhotep, he would be killed.

Rameses grabbed Evy's wrist, locking her to his side and held up the Gold Book as Imhotep stalked closer.  Imhotep frowned darkly and Rameses threw the book to the sand, laughing.  Pulling Evy close, he again held the knife to her.  Ardeth Bay blinked at that, his grasp on the book  in his hands tightening.  "You know that book is useless without the key," Rameses said, exhaling.  "I won't pretend to have the advantage where that is concerned.  But I do have the advantage here."  He pressed the knife into Evy's throat, knicking her skin and making her gasp.

"And you want the key," Imhotep breathed, cocking his head.  His eyes revealed nothing.  "I will give you the key if that is your wish."  Reaching into his robes, Imhotep pulled the key out and held it up.

Rameses shifted on his feet, tangling his hand into Evy's hair.  Would Imhotep truly give it over so easily?  Either something was going on or Imhotep was weaker than Rameses had imagined.  "And the Black Book."

"And the Black Book," Imhotep agreed.  He smiled and handed the key to Rick, saying something in low tones to Ardeth.  Turning back, he met Rameses' eyes and said, "I will take my leave now.  They will give you the key and the book, and deliver Nefertiri to me when the battle is done."

Rameses scowled.  "Very clever," he drawled sarcastically.  "I don't think so."

Imhotep's eyes flashed.  "You will follow through with your end of this deal, Rameses, because if she dies I will hunt you and kill you more painfully than you can ever imagine!"  The priest stood there, his anger evident on his face.

"Let's do this differently," Rameses then said, rubbing his hand in Evy's hair.  "Open the Book of the Dead."

The creature looked puzzled by that, but humoring Rameses, took the key from O'Connell and opened the Book of the Dead.  "What are you planning?" he mumbled, looking from the book to Rameses.

Smiling, Rameses then ordered, "Finish the spell you began on Jonathan.  Give me complete control over his body."

"What does that mean?" Evy cut in, raising her hands to grasp her brother's wrist.

Rameses wasn't interested in her question, however.  What caught his attention was the anger and moreso the fear in Imhotep's eyes.  "Yes," he said darkly, not hiding his smirk.  "I know that you haven't finished the spell.  I know that if you die I will no longer control Jonathan Carnahan, the spell will fade.  Give me my freedom.  You have no other choice if you want Nefertiri to live through the next few moments."

"No!" Evy cried out, struggling.  "Don't do it, Imhotep!  You can't let him win!  Get Jonathan back somehow and..."

Rameses growled and stabbed his knife into her arm, causing her to scream.  "Shut up, Nefertiri," he growled.

Imhotep hovered between reading the spell and watching Rameses.  The prince closed his eyes and shook his head and that interested Imhotep.  Still, what harm could there be in giving Rameses his freedom?  It wouldn't make him immortal.  Licking his lips, Imhotep turned to the correct page and glanced back up.

Rameses groaned in pain and tightened his hand in Evy's hair.  "Hurry," he hissed, then stumbled.

Evy took advantage of his state to pull herself free.  Rameses fell to the ground, watching as she ran to Imhotep.  "No," he whispered, closing his eyes.

Wrapping herself into Ardeth's arms, Evy glanced back at her brother, wondering what was going on.  Rameses raised his eyes then and looked at her sadly.  "Evy," he breathed, then looked down.  Grabbing the Book of Ra, he threw it to her.  "Quickly, Evy!" he yelled, groaning and grabbing his head.

"Jonathan?" she asked, then gasped when his eyes met hers again.

"Kill them!" Rameses screamed, fury echoing through his voice.  He stayed on his knees, his struggle still evident.

Imhotep shoved the Key into O'Connell's hands and began forward, intent on ending his life as the two armies of dead clashed together.  Bones clattered and swords met, but he didn't pay any mind.  He wanted only one thing.  "Now, you will die, Rameses," he said with finality and triumph.

"You may have killed us both, Jonathan," Rameses whispered and chuckled, drawing his knife and looking at the priest that advanced.

"Give me the key," Ardeth said quietly, meeting Rick's eyes seriously.

Blinking, Rick gave Ardeth the key and went back to fighting.  Without looking to Evy, Ardeth grabbed at the book in her hands and shoved the key onto the lock.  "What are you going to do?" she asked, her dark eyes gazing intently.

"We must stop them both," he answered, looking for the proper spell.

Evy held her breath at the nausea that caused her, knowing what Ardeth was looking for.  She was surprised by the feelings that washed through her as she glanced to where Imhotep was confronting Rameses.  Finding what he sought, Ardeth began the spell and she turned away, watching Imhotep, jumping as dead foes battled not three feet from where she stood.

He froze in his pursuit of causing Rameses pain.  He could feel it happening, feel his power leaving him.  He was becoming mortal again.  Imhotep shook momentarily then stopped.  Shoving Rameses down, he whirled around and gazed upon Ardeth Bay.  Of course he couldn't have expected the Med-Jai's loyalty, but he couldn't stop from looking at Nefertiri wit betrayed eyes.  Strangely enough, she looked almost remorseful for letting her lover do this.

And then Imhotep fell as the battle of dead raged on.  Evy's eyes widened as the priest collapsed forward, hitting the sand hard. Closing her fists, Evy swallowed and looked at the knife protruding from the creature's back.  Rameses had killed Imhotep, or had fatally wounded him at any rate. And Rameses rose to his feet, heading straight towards them.  "I will have my freedom!" he shouted in triumph.

"Like hell," Rick countered, leaving the battle and pointing his gun to Rameses.  "Evy, we can't get Jonathan back..." he said, trailing off.

"I know," she replied, nodding her head.  She closed her eyes as a shot rang out.  Rick had shot her brother.  Jonathan was now truly forever gone.

Rameses fell beside Imhotep, the priest on his stomach and the prince on his back.  Covering her lips, Evy went and knelt between them, not caring about the fighting that went on in every direction around her.  Wiping the fast coming tears from her cheeks, Evy looked to Imhotep.  "I wish things could have been different for you," she told him, touching his cheek.

Drawing in a ragged breath, Imhotep smiled and looked at her softly.  "They are, Nefertiri," he replied, reaching to touch her leg.  "They are."

Evy covered her lips, watching Imhotep die.  She almost couldn't believe the sadness that welled up within her at that.  Her enemy was dying now and she found herself grieving him.  With his last breath Jonathan gasped inward and Evy turned her head.  "Jonathan?" her shaking voice managed.

Jonathan smiled up at her and reached to take her hand, breathing, "Evy."  Wincing at the gunshot wound in his stomach, he looked her over.  "I'm so sorry that Rameses hurt you.  I'm sorry I couldn't...couldn't stop..."

"Shhh," Evy soothed, touching his lips.  "It wasn't your fault, Jonathan."

He laughed at that and coughed, blinking slowly.  "Well, at least I managed to get him...off guard long enough...for you to run.  I guess I wasn't...as weak...as he thought."

Now letting herself cry freely, Evy bent down and hugged her brother.  "You were never weak, Jonathan.  I wish I hadn't forced you to come with me to Egypt."

"It had to happen," Jonathan wheezed, his grasp weakening.  "I...love you, Baby Sister."

Evy cradled her brother in her arms and whispered, "I love you, too."  Biting her lip, Evy looked down, watching his face as the life left him.  She could hear Ardeth chanting against the backdrop of swords and gun fire.  Then chant that would put the dead to rest finally.  Pulling Jonathan back up, she closed her eyes, not wanting to watch what went on, not wanting to join the world yet.

Ardeth finished the spell and looked up in time to see the dead soldiers of both Imhotep and Rameses fall to the desert ground, their souls suddenly set free from their bodies.  The Med-Jai warriors ceased their fighting and O'Connell lowered his gun.  And their eyes fell upon Evy and the two dead men on either side of her.  "God," Rick breathed, his blue eyes wide in shock and pain.  "I...I killed him."

Taking a breath, Ardeth said, "You did what you had to do, Rick."

"Evy?" Rick ventured, stepping towards her.

"Just wait, Rick," she answered in a heavy voice as she cried.  She held a hand up and waved it once, then returned to holding Jonathan.

Rick looked down, then back at Ardeth, whispering, "Isn't there anything we can do?  Anything spell you could say?"

Ardeth blinked, then opened the Black Book, searching.  A cold breeze traveled across him as he skimmed through.  "Perhaps there is..." he mumbled, quickly reading.

Rick nodded absently, watching Evy and feeling very unnerved.  Licking dry lips, he urged, "Hurry, Ardeth."

"Here," the Med-Jai breathed, looking up.  "It requires the sacrifice of another life to work, but it would bring Jonathan back."

"Imhotep?" Rick asked, meeting the warrior's eyes.  "Or is it too late?"  The ex-Legionairre swallowed, his eyes pleading.

Ardeth shrugged and looked back at the words.  "There is only one way to find out."  Taking a deep breath, Ardeth began the spell.

Evy held Jonathan tightly, wishing there was something she could do to have him back.  Unbelief coursed through her as she cried.  She didn't care what was going on around, only embraced him.  Her innocent brother, ripped away and then given back, only to be taken away again.  What would she do without him?  Jonathan was always there when she needed him.

And then something strange happened.  She felt him breathe.  Surely it was just her imagination, her missing him.  But there it was.  Rhythmic and deep, he breathed again.  Evy pulled herself away and looked down.  "Jonathan?" she whispered.  She gasped when his eyes opened, fearing Rameses had returned.

"Evy?" he choked, blinking and looking up at the sky, then back.  "Evy!"

Evelyn's lips spread into a smile in return to her brother's.  "You're alive," she said, pulling him into her.

"I think so," Jonathan replied.  He pulled himself into a sitting position and looked around, saying, "Yeegh."

Evy laughed and looked up to Rick and Ardeth.  Ardeth smiled at her, holding the Black Book and watching.  She got to her feet and raced to him, saying, "Thank you."  She touched his arms softly, her brown eyes meeting his.

"Anything for you, Evelyn," Ardeth replied, gazing into her sparkling eyes.  He looked around him, at the many dead bodies that littered the ground.  "It's over."  Ardeth shook his head, unable to believe it.  They had changed the course of events, stopped the cycle.  It was as if a burden had been lifted from his shoulders,  He could see the same mirrored in her eyes.

Taking Rick's hand and getting up, Jonathan smirked and said, "You shot me!"

Rick shrugged and nodded.  "Yeah.  Well, you know.  That whole Rameses thing."  He clapped Jonathan on the shoulder and grinned.  "Glad to see you're back.

Jonathan rolled his eyes and shoved Rick's hand off his shoulder, returning Rick's grin and saying, "Glad to be back.  Next time I get to shoot you."

"Yeah, yeah," Rick replied.  "We'll see about that."  He looked around, frowning.  "What do you people say we get out of here before the responsibility of cleaning this mess falls on us, hmmm?"

Ardeth laughed at that and shook his head.  "The Med-Jai will bury our own and the kings we served.  The others will likely be buried here, and something to mark their graves left.  It will take some time."

Evy looked up into his eyes and said, "Will you come with us?"

Looking back into hers, he searched both her and himself.  "Yes," he whispered, wondering what would happen next.  She was a part of him now, a deep part of him.  Nothing Imhotep or even Evy could have done could change that.  "I will come."

Cutting in as a warrior gave him a horse, Jonathan said, "Oh great.  I've told you all sorts of trouble always follows these men around, Evy."  He grinned jokingly.

"My brother," sighed Evy in exasperation.  She smiled despite herself, though, glad things seemed back to normal.  Then something occurred to her.  She looked at Ardeth.  "What will be done with Imhotep?"

Ardeth looked to where the dead priest lay.  Turning to Omar, he said, "Take the creature back to Hamunaptra.  Bury him there."

Omar nodded, his eyes grave.  "Hamunaptra.  It will be done, Ardeth Bay.  You did well.  You honor the memory of your father and all Med-Jai."  The old warrior dismounted and handed Ardeth the reins.  "I would be honored if you would ride my horse, Ardeth."

Ardeth nodded his gratitude, taking charge of the horse.  "I will return him to our people when I see this woman safely to Cairo."  Ardeth pulled himself up and looked to Evy.  Uncertainly, he extended his hand to help her up.  Smiling, she took the hand and climbed up behind Ardeth to ride.

Rick nodded his head and mounted the horse given him and said, "Yeah.  I was right."

"About what?" Carnahan asked, rubbing his belly where the hole in his shirt was, glad he could be the one to decide on the move and not some other entity.  He squinted in the sunlight at Evy and Ardeth as they spoke quietly.

"I do feel funny not walking out of this with the girl."  Rick half grinned and shook his head, then shrugged.

Jonathan grinned at that and said slyly, "There's always beer and Rakia."

"Mmm," Rick said, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.  "Good plan.  You take the beer, I'll take the girl."

"Oh sure," Jonathan retorted, rolling his eyes and shaking his head.  "I only had to spend the last few days in the care of a madman.  Let's not mentioned that I died.  Sure, Rick.  You take all the fun."

Laughing at his friend as the group began towards civilization, Rick shrugged and said, "If you say so.  Thanks, pal."

Ardeth spurred the horse on and smiled when Evy's arms encircled his waist.  He didn't know what she was feeling, or if she'd felt anything for Imhotep.  He didn't know what he felt even, other than a deep caring for this woman who'd been plunged into his life.  But he did know one thing now that this circle of death was stopped and the struggle finished.

His adventure with this woman wasn't over.

**

Author's Notes:  Well, I hope you've enjoyed this and I hope the ending turned out okay.  *sniffle*  I love Ardeth, but I can't help but feel bad for Imhotep.  I wuved that bad guy.  :-D  Maybe in another universe he won the battle with Rameses, or won Nefertiri's heart back in ancient times, eh?  ;-)  Thanks for reading.  -Nine