Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter Two - The Proverbial Needle (In A Hay Stack)
Rating:  PG
Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/docseven2000
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.
Note:  This Nefertiri stuff in here, her history, is in no way based on anything real that I know of.  And stuff about Imhotep later on as well, even the actual movies didn't portray him as the real Imhotep.  So in the tradition of many story tellers, I am tampering with our history.  Hey, it is an alternate universe.  ;-D
**

Ardeth watched in silence as Evelyn peered through her eyeglasses at the book, also silent.  He supposed he could be off doing work, but he couldn't help but be intrigued.  Deeper meaning, it seemed, would reveal itself soon.  Or so he'd guess, at any rate.  It was strange that now she would chose to return to Egypt and find herself right where he would be.  There was still room for coincidence he supposed, but it struck him odd still that she was here.  And she'd mentioned wanting to read of Nefertiri.  No, on second thought coincidence was definitely losing space to breathe.  And little things were making themselves apparent to his eyes as he watched.  The tone of her skin, the way the light shone in the brown depths of her eyes.  It wasn't easy to pull himself away from those dreams and believe this was reality.  He found the word Nefertiri on his lips more than once when she'd spoken.  "You must find me incredibly rude," she said into the silence, almost startling him.  She didn't look up.  "I'm just interested in reading about this princess."  Her eyes finally met his over the rim of her glasses.  She smiled.

He laughed.  "No, I don't find you rude.  It is I who should not be hovering about you when you have studying to do."

Evy impulsively touched his hand.  "You're always welcome to sit with me, Mr. Bay."

He looked down at her hand on his and immediately his mind flashed with a dozen dream images.  Blinking, he returned his gaze back to her eyes.  "Please, you may call me by my first name."

"All right, Ardeth," she said, testing it out.  "Of course you'll do the same?"  She pulled her hand away and turned the page of the large book before her.

He nodded.  "Evelyn.  A beautiful name.  Eve means life."

Evelyn smiled.  "Yes.  Thank you."  She returned to her reading.

Ardeth watched her again, wondering why she'd come back.  The idea crossed his mind that perhaps she intended to stay in Egypt once more.  Her returning to the museum appealed to him.  He could use someone familiar.  Truth be told, this wasn't his place.  He'd never feel completely at ease here.  He understood that his father had kept this place to monitor just how much the public or even the private public learned about Hamunaptra, but it was a settled life.  He was accustomed to the desert and at times wasn't quite sure what to do with himself here.  Not that it was by any means a bad life, just different than how he'd been raised.  Sometimes he wondered who he would be had his father allowed him to grow up here instead of the desert.  What could such a comfortable and almost automated life to do a man?  His mind immediately flickered to an image of Evelyn's brother, Jonathan.  Ardeth shook his head.  "Why do you read of Nefertiri?" he asked suddenly.

She looked uncomfortable now and didn't answer right away.  "I find her interesting," she evaded, not meeting his eyes.

He didn't push the issue, respecting her privacy.  "Forgive me for interrupting your work, but I must ask before I go.  Are you here to stay?"

Evy looked up, meeting his eyes.  She inhaled.  "I'm not sure."

He offered her a smile.  "If you do, perhaps you would consider returning here?  I would enjoy your presence."  Ardeth waited, hoping she'd say yes.

She hesitated, but returned his smile.  "Of course.  It's gracious of you to offer.  And please don't feel you have to leave."

"No," he said, holding up a forestalling hand.  "It is not that I feel I must.  Rather the work that I must do."  He sighed.  "Do not be a stranger while here, Evelyn.  It would disappoint me to discover you'd left Egypt before saying good-bye to me."  Perhaps a little much, his words.  He wasn't sure what European women considered proper for a man to say, but he truly meant it.

To his relief she grinned.  "I wouldn't dream of that.  Perhaps we could have lunch?  Some friends of mine at a bakery nearby are expecting me.  The woman told me to tell you hello.  At least I think she meant you."  She frowned in thought.

He nodded, knowing.  "Yes.  I have stopped there once or twice.  I will join you if it's not an intrusion."

Her bright smile returned immediately.  "Oh, don't be silly.  It's settled then."

"Yes," he answered, taking a few steps backwards.  "You will find me in my father's office.  Buried in papers no doubt."  He rolled his eyes, an expression Evy found alien on such a demeanor as his.

The old curator.  She missed Dr. Bay.  She had taken it hard when Rick had told her of his sacrifice.  He'd been a hard employer but she was fond of him.  Despite his warrioresque appearance, she couldn't imagine Ardeth being so tough and almost giggled when she tried.  "Nothing," she said when he questioned her with his eyes.  "Just a thought.  I'll come for you later then."

He didn't pursue what she was grinning about.  Instead he simply nodded and left.  He was eerily quiet when he walked.  She watched after him as he exited the library.  Was he the man in her dream?  Those eyes looked amazingly the same as those from the brush.  Those eyes that had watched her and left strange feelings in her.

She shook her head absently and turned to the book.  True to her belief, there wasn't much about Nefertiri.  A few vague points here and there.  Something caught her eyes, though.
 

Though little is known of this young princess, it's rumored that she was to have married Rameses I, son of Seti I.  There is little evidence to support this claim however, except a cartouche bearing her name along side that of Rameses.  It is not known why her name was stricken from many of Ancient Egypt's records, but even today Egyptologists search for the answers as they search out the many tombs within Egypt...


Evy sighed.  There just wasn't much else.  Ironic that the one I'd dream of would be the one I can't find anything about.  She closed her eyes for a moment, remembering the dreams.  Of course there had never been any mention of Anck-su-namun anywhere either.  There wouldn't be.  She was quite sure that Rameses would have covered up the true nature of Seti's death.  History books didn't know how he had died at the hands of his own priest and concubine.  It was an embarrassment to Egypt and to Seti's name and even the Med-Jai who couldn't reach Seti in time.  She could understand why historically Anck-su-namun wouldn't exist, but why nearly erase Nefertiri?

Her mind went back to Moses, who'd been an adopted brother to Rameses and who, by God, had brought down the ten plagues that served to inspire the Hom-Dai curse that would later be used on Imhotep.  Moses' name had been obliterated from history because of the freeing of the Hebrews.  Could Nefertiri have supported Moses in his mission?  Perhaps it was unrelated, but it left Evy wondering.  She groaned and removed her glasses, rubbing her eyes.  Too many facts to sort through right now.  It looked like to get a better history on Nefertiri she was going to have to rely on her dreams.  She frowned when her stomach made a decidedly imploring sound.  She and Ardeth had spent quite some time looking for her books and now it was indeed lunch time.  Idly wondering if her companion was ready, she stood up and marked her place with a paper.  She'd definitely be returning after lunch.

Creeping down the hallways, Evy concentrated, trying to walk silently like the Med-Jai she was seeking.  She winced a few times when she made noise, but soon got the hang of it even if she looked goofy doing it.  Just how could he walk so quietly so effortlessly?  With exaggerated steps, she crept closer and closer to the office.  "Were you trying to sneak up on me?" his surprised voice said suddenly from behind.

"Oh!" Evy gasped, losing her balance and grasping the wall for support.  She turned and saw him standing there with his arms crossed, amused.  She smiled sheepishly.  "Well, I guess I was."  She shrugged.  "Sorry."

He laughed.  "No apology necessary.  I trust you completely.  If you want to sneak around the museum instead of having lunch, I'd be willing to go and hide somewhere and you can try to find me?"  He leaned against the wall and grinned.

She rolled her eyes and walked past him.  "Perhaps later, Oh Graceful Warrior."  When he failed to follow, she turned.  "You are coming?" she asked, eyebrow raised and smile across her lips.

His eyes twinkled.  She liked that.  "Of course, Evelyn."

**

Evy winced when Nila asked about the dreams.  She didn't truly mind Ardeth knowing as much as she was worried he'd think she was foolish.  Her eyes met his but he merely looked interested.  "I've been dreaming of her," she explained.  "Dreaming that I am her actually."  He seemed uncomfortable with that.  She hoped he wasn't offended that she'd neglected to tell him that earlier.  "I just thought it was silly, coming all the way to Egypt because of dreams.  That's why I didn't mention it when you asked."

He shook his head and waved her off.  "No.  I find it interesting.  Not silly.  You dream of being this Nefertiri?"  He seemed to have more in mind than his question, but whatever it was he wasn't volunteering it.

Evy nodded.  "Yes.  So far I've seen her mother die and strangely enough she was Seti's daughter.  She didn't like Anck-su-namun, that's for sure.  She didn't trust her."

"Wise," he commented.

She went on, looking from Nila to Ardeth back and forth.  She took a drink.  "There isn't much in the history books about her that I haven't already been able to understand by my dreams, but strangely enough she's all but unknown to the modern world.  Almost everything that would have mentioned her name has been erased from Egyptian history.  They've found a few cartouches here and there, some beside those of her brother Rameses.  But there is no explanation as to why she was stricken from their records."

Ardeth inhaled.  "Have you seen anyone else in your dreams?"  He seemed to be asking something more than that.

Evy shook her head, wondering if there was more to his idle curiosity than just that.  "I mean I've seen Anck-su-namun and Seti.  I saw Imhotep as well once or twice.  And someone was watching me while I was in the gardens."  She needn't tell him that whoever it was reminded her of him.

Nila blinked.  "You speak of these people as if you know them," she observed.

Evy and Ardeth exchanged glances.  "I feel as if I know them," Evelyn answered evasively.  She knew it would be best if Imhotep's reign of terror was left unrecalled.  "These dreams are so real."

"This man that was watching you in the gardens," Ardeth pressed a moment later.  "Do you know who he was?  Did he mean you harm?"

He certainly seemed very curious.  Evy shook her head.  "I don't know who it was.  I could only see his eyes.  But I don't think he meant any harm.  At least that's not the feeling I got."  She took a bite of her nearly gone sandwich.  "I want to return with you to the museum and look through a few more books," She said to him.

He nodded, taking a drink of water.  "Of course.  I will help you search."

She smiled.  "I would hate to take you away from your work."

He grinned to both she and Nila.  "Believe me.  I would love for you to."

Suddenly the door opened and Evy groaned.  "Jonathan," she said, setting her napkin down and sighing at his under the weather state.  Hangovers weren't very becoming of him.  "Do sit down."

He did just that.  Eyeing Ardeth, he narrowed his eyebrows.  "Is there an emergency?" he asked, his tone hinting at things Nila had forgotten.

Ardeth shook his head.  "No, my friend.  Your sister and I were merely catching up."

"Coffee.  Black," he said to Nila who'd asked if he wanted anything.  "Well that's good to hear.  What brings you to Cairo?"

"I take care of the museum now that my father is gone."  His eyes got a little distant.  Evy sighed.

Jonathan also sighed.  "I'm sorry, Old Chap.  I didn't mean to..."

Ardeth waved him off.  "It's all right."  He then stood.  "I must take care of something.  I will meet you in the library in one hour, Evelyn?"

Evy widened her eyes, not wishing him to leave.  "I...yes.  One hour."  He made his good-bye's and left.  "Well."  Evy frowned at Jonathan and hit his thigh with her handbag.  "Idiot."

He coughed a little on his coffee.  "What?  What did I do?"

**

Ardeth quickly returned to his home and went immediately to his prized bird - his best friend he sometimes called him - Horus.  Taking a small slip of paper from the desk nearby, he wrote a message to Ahmed, one of the tribal leaders of the Med-Jai.

Ahmed, please look in the secret texts for any mention of Pharaoh Seti's daughter Nefertiri.  Send me word when you have learned anything.  -Ardeth.

A little cryptic perhaps, but it would serve.  Taking a string from a drawer in the desk, Ardeth tied it around the note and to Horus' leg.  Then, opening the window, he set Horus free.  "Fly fast, my friend," he said quietly, watching the bird fly towards the desert and away from Cairo.

**

"Well, I think it's creepy, him hanging around.  I half expect some mummy to pop out of the shadows," Jonathan was saying.

Evy looked heavenward.  "Don't be such a ninny, Jonathan.  Besides, if a mummy did come out to get you who better to be here than him?"

Jonathan nodded.  "I'll give him that.  I wonder how he got out of that hall with all those priests.  O'Connell sent a stick of dynamite in there."

"I'm certain he has his ways."  Evy adjusted her reading glasses and peered closely at the book she was reading.  "No mention here."

"No, Old Mum.  None here either."  Jonathan closed his book and grabbed another.  "You really think you might have been this Nefertiri?"

Evy smiled.  "It's an interesting thought, isn't it?"

He nodded absently.  "Yeah.  Yeah.  I wonder who I was.  Perhaps one of those Med-Jai?"

She snickered.  "You, a Med-Jai."

Jonathan shrugged.  "It could have happened.  You never know.  Maybe I was Seti.  I had a ton of money and beautiful women on my arms."

"One that killed you," Evy reminded him.  "No, I don't think you were Seti.  You could have been one of the little monkeys that I kept.  I had pet monkeys, you know."

He rolled his eyes.  "A monkey.  I like that," he said sarcastically.

"I'm only joking," she said, giving him a pat on his shoulder.  "Besides, monkeys are agile creatures."

"You're so mean," he laughed, turning the book he had sideways to get a better view of the picture he was looking at.  "I say."  He raised his eyebrows.

"You say what, my friend?" Ardeth asked, entering.

Jonathan grinned.  "I say as a man you'd better come and have a look at this."

Ardeth stood behind Jonathan's chair and laughed.  "That is a good picture."

Evy frowned at them.  Jonathan snickered at her reaction.  "Hey, Evy, even you might find this interesting."

She slit her eyes at the both of them.  "Just never you mind!"

Ardeth sat down across from her, his eyes sparkling.  "Please, don't be angry Evelyn," he said.

She eyed him a moment and returned his pleasant smile.  "Of course not."

He started looking through the books that lay scattered across the table.  "Perhaps there are more.  I will hunt them for you."  He stood.

Jonathan joined him.  "Yeah, me too."  He followed Ardeth into one corner of the library, still finding himself uneasy in Egypt.  Memories still haunted him.  "So, do you find Cairo living to your liking?"

Ardeth rummaged through some books.  "It's a little more comfortable.  Less work than I am accustomed to.  I suppose it isn't bad."  He paused.  "Do you think that you and Evelyn will stay long?"

Jonathan shrugged.  "I certainly hope not, but with Evy who knows."

"Mm," was the warrior's reply.  "What happened to O'Connell?"

"He's actually in London."  Jonathan peered at a dusty red book, not exactly sure what he was looking for.  "Things didn't work out.  There was no harm done and they're excellent friends.  Just not what we'd expected that's all."

Ardeth nodded.  "I would like to see him again."  He pulled out a big blue book and looked inside.  "He was a good warrior.  Clever."

"Yes," Jonathan agreed, dusting off the red book and looking inside.  "Quite."

**

Nefertiri wasn't sure what to do as the large Med-Jai warrior advanced on her.  She was now keenly aware that she was in the gardens, alone and at night.  Med-Jai were usually loyal to their Pharaoh's but, well, who was perfect?  If given the chance...

His eyes were as black as midnight in the moonlight, matching the hair on his shoulders.  "Ardeth?" she asked, seeing him better as he moved closer.

He shook his head despite the fact she was certain that was his name.  "Ankhwa," he introduced himself.  "I mean you no harm, Princess."  His eyes were warm.  "I merely saw you wander out here alone and wished to protect you if needed."

Nefertiri swallowed and smiled at this handsome stranger.  "Thank you.  I am quite capable of taking care of myself if the occasion calls for it."

Ankhwa grinned and turned, then in a flash grabbed her, pinning her arm behind her back and holding her tightly to him.  His eyes sparkled when he looked at her.  "Are you so certain?"

Nefertiri blinked, so aware of his warmth as he held her.  She didn't have time to answer him.  His lips quickly covered hers and his grip eased.  She had to take an opportunity when she saw one, so when he loosened his hold she tore her lips from his and flipped him onto the ground.  Crouching down, she smiled and touched his dark hair.  "Very certain."

He laughed and reached for her cheek.  "You wouldn't have succeeded had your beauty and kiss not distracted me."

She pulled away, knowing that this could be more trouble than either of them needed.  "Distractions happen, Med-Jai.  Take care not to let someone harm me while you gaze at my beauty."

Ankhwa looked up at her.  "You will not find it so easy in the future to break my hold."

Nefertiri eyed him, certain by his eyes that there would be future holds.  I can't let this happen , she thought, wanting to anyway.  She closed her eyes as his lips found hers again.  "Evelyn," he whispered softly, touching her arm.  She could still feel his kiss...

**

"Evelyn?" Ardeth said, moving over to where she sat, sleeping.  He touched her arm.  "Evelyn?"  He looked to Jonathan.

"I think she's passed out," Jonathan commented, taking in all the books before her.  "Come on, Old Mum.  Wake up."

Evy shook her head softly and opened her eyes.  The first thing she saw were Ardeth's eyes.  He crouched down beside her chair and looked up at her.  She blinked, startled by the temptation to touch his cheek and more.  She blushed as his eyes searched hers.  "Are you all right?" he asked softly.

She paused a moment, still vaguely hazy from the transition from dream to reality.  "I must have fallen asleep."

Ardeth nodded.  "It's getting close to dinner time.  Perhaps you should return to your hotel and rest."  He stood and held his hand out.

Evelyn took it and stood.  "Perhaps you're right."  She looked to Jonathan.  "Ready?"

He rubbed the back of his neck.  "I was actually hoping to catch some more of the night life."

Evy rolled her eyes.  "Fine.  I'll be fine."  She looked to Ardeth.  "I'll most likely return in the morning."

He nodded.  "I may have more information for you soon."  He was silent a moment, then, "Perhaps since your brother is busy I should walk you to your room?  I have to walk home anyway."

Her eyes widened and she was sure her cheeks reddened.  Still, she didn't want to walk alone in the dark.  "If it's no trouble."

He smiled and held to her hand and then looked to Jonathan.  "This is acceptable?"

"Hmm?" Jonathan said, smiling.  "Oh.  Yes.  Of course."

Evy inhaled deeply and followed as Ardeth led her from the library.  This little excursion was getting stranger and stranger, she decided.