Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter Four - Midnight Callers
Rating:  PG
Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/docseven2000
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.

Note:  This Nefertiri stuff in here, her history, is in no way based on anything real that I know of.  And stuff about Imhotep later on as well, even the actual movies didn't portray him as the real Imhotep.  So in the tradition of many story tellers, I am tampering with our history.  Hey, it is an alternate universe.
Also Note: For disclaimers please refer to prologue.
Also Also Note:  I don't much about Egyptian priests or their marriage customs.  This is an alternate universe and that's still my story.  ;-)
**

Night had come swiftly, blanketing Egypt in the beauty of darkness.  Evelyn sat there in her room, gazing at her own reflection in the vanity.  She had only a vague sense of what was going on around her, which for the moment was nothing.  Ever since that vision of Imhotep she'd been slowly getting fuzzy until now all she could make herself do was sit and gaze.  She could hear Ardeth's voice in the adjoining room.  He was speaking with Jonathan but of what she couldn't focus on long enough to understand.  A smile touched the corners of her lips.  He was very protective and she knew he was hanging around long enough to ask if he could sleep on the couch in the main room so he could keep watch.  She trusted his instincts.

But she just couldn't figure out what was wrong with her.  Something was amiss, she knew.  It kind of frightened her that she couldn't bring herself to move or even call for one of them.  It was as if part of her were simply unconscious. Is this what if feels like to lose one's mind? she thought wryly.  She was so tired.  It had taken all of her motivation just to get into her nightgown.  And suddenly some will to move was granted.  As if in a trance and yet not, she stood and went to her bed although she'd intended - nightgown or not - to go and ask Jonathan and Ardeth to help her figure this out.  But she just couldn't make herself go out there and so instead she curled up in her bed and closed her eyes.

**

The dream wasn't the same as the others, she could tell right off.  It had a very different feel.  She was back in the show room at the museum. "Hello?" she called, searching.  The room was hazy and dark.  She shivered at the strange atmosphere.  "Jonathan?  Ardeth?"  She peered around.  Suddenly something came from the shadows.  She watched and waited, ready to attack if she had to.  "Ardeth," she then sighed in relief.

Ardeth smiled and moved to her, placing his hand on her chin and tilting her face upwards.  "My Love," he whispered, placing his lips over hers and kissing her unlike anything she'd ever felt before.  It was dark and passionate.  Strange.  She could see Ardeth right before her and yet somehow it didn't feel like it was he that kissed her.

And suddenly there was someone else in the room.  His voice sent shivers down her body as he spoke in ancient words.  "Even 3,000 years passed you still dishonor me with that Med-Jai," he said in chiding tones.

Evy pulled away from Ardeth and gasped, "Imhotep!"  She looked for protection from Ardeth but received none.  "What do you want?"

Imhotep laughed and gazed at her with strange eyes.  Cold and possessive.  "You remember who you were with that Med-Jai," he said that with contempt, "and you will remember who you were with me."

She blinked and backed away.  "What do you mean?  I was never anything to you.  You loved Anck-su-namun.  What have I to do with that?"

He laughed again and started towards her.  "Oh, my Nefertiri.  Yes, I did love her.  I will always love her.  But she was not freely mine to have.  You were."

Evy furrowed her brow.  "You're lying."

"No," he replied, shaking his head and smiling at her.  "You will remember how you dishonored me and then how you killed me."  He stopped before her, grabbed her wrist and stared into her eyes with an anger that scared her worse than her last encounter with him.  "You will remember all and pay for it."  He closed his eyes and began chanting.  Try as she might she couldn't pull away.

Quite suddenly the setting changed.  She was Nefertiri again.  She turned around, searching for Imhotep or Ardeth and found neither.  What she did find made her stop short and stare.  She knew it was Rameses, but she knew that he was also familiar in her present life though she couldn't remember who.  She couldn't even remember her own name.  "Who are you?

He looked at her, his eyes puzzled, yet cold and amused.  "Nefertiri, are you mad now, my Sister?"  He laughed, delighted.  "You have lost your mind.  Just in time too.  You'll be happy to know that you don't have to marry me."  He waited, daring her to ask why that amused him so.

One of Nefertiri's greatest fears was that she would have to marry Rameses.  "That does make me happy," she answered coolly.

He smirked and rubbed his hands together.  "Older Sister, aren't you even curious as to why you don't have to marry me?"

It must be bad news, judging from the look in his eyes.  She swallowed.  "Why?"

"My Older Sister, Father has promised you to the High Priest," he answered, waiting for her to react.  "He wishes to see you in his throne room."

Her eyes widened in horror.  "No.  No!"  She turned and began running, not sure where she was going.  She could hear Rameses laugh.  Promised to that priest?  Why him?  What would she do?  She suddenly felt ill.  Not looking where she was headed she bumped into her Ankhwa and nearly started crying there.  "Ankhwa," she said in a voice on the edge of panic, "we have to run.  You said we could run away and we must!"

His eyes were soft as he tried to calm her.  "What has happened, Love?"  He touched her face so gently it made tears form in her eyes.

"I've been promised to Imhotep," she whimpered, leaning against him.  "Ankhwa, please take me away from here."

He rubbed her back as he held her and his words shocked her.  "Nefertiri, we knew this day would come.  I hear the Priest is a good man.  Before the slaves were freed a tiny Hebrew child spilled water on him as she was walking and he let her go without so much as a scolding."

Nefertiri held on tighter.  "He scares me.  I don't trust him."

He made her look at him.  "Nefertiri, running away will be very dangerous and could get us killed.  Meet with him.  If he is a good man then..."  He didn't finish.  He didn't have to.  She knew that he was telling her to go and see if she could be with Imhotep.  That it would be safer for her to simply forget him and live as Imhotep's wife.  As painful as it must have been, Ankhwa pushed her away and gazed sadly into her eyes.  "Go and meet him if that's where you are headed."

Nefertiri couldn't bring herself to say anything, so she placed her hand over her mouth and walked past him.  A life without the man she loved.  Could she bear that?

As long as she wished it would have taken, it didn't take her but moments to reach the throne room.  Straightening her hair and wiping her cheeks, she waited as the guards opened the doors.  She could see the dark priest standing at her father's throne.  He was waiting for her.  Trying to control her shivering, she entered and stood before her father.  He smiled in delight.  "My Daughter," he greeted, sitting on his throne and gazing at her.

She put on a brave front and smiled.  "My Father.  Rameses said that you wished to see me."

"Indeed," was Seti's reply.  He stood and moved down to touch her back.  "Don't look so upset.  Today is a day of rejoicing.  You will be a bride soon, my Daughter."  His eyes went to his trusted priest.  "I have given your hand to Imhotep."

Nefertiri looked up at the priest finally.  His eyes were neither thrilled nor angered.  He simply gazed at her and then reached out his hand.  "I am honored to have such a beautiful woman given to me, my King."  He waited for her to take his hand.

Though it sickened her heart, Nefertiri took the hand that was offered.  "And I am honored to have you as my husband, High Priest."  Her gaze slid to Seti.  "You are wise, Father."

Seti smiled at his ever dutiful daughter as if her pain weren't apparent.  "You will get to know one another better.  You are dismissed."

Imhotep bowed his head and immediately left, expecting her to follow.  Nefertiri echoed his actions and did follow.  Not even an explanation as to why this mad decision had been made!  She couldn't understand her father.  He was very selfish and had little regard for the traditions upheld by Egypt it seemed, making a concubine his queen and now this!  She knew Seti thought of this man highly, thought of him as a brother, but this was simply more than she could bare.  And yet he had every right to allow it, to offer her and he had done it.  Imhotep walked fast and was silent.  She could tell he too was surprised by Seti's decision.  Suddenly, he stopped.  "You are unhappy with this arrangement."

She blinked.  "It...it..."  She shook.  What does he want to hear?  What will please him?   "I was merely surprised, my Lord."

He smiled and touched her cheek.  "As was I.  This situation isn't what I expected but it is done now.  Your father will hear nothing more of it, I am certain."  He eyed her seriously.  "I am not a hard man, Nefertiri.  But I will not have my name dishonored."

"What?" she asked, her pulse racing.  "What do you mean?"

Gazing down and then back into her eyes, he rested his hand on her shoulder and pulled her closer.  Uncomfortably closer.  "Eyes have seen you with a Med-Jai, Princess.  Your father doesn't know, but I make it my business to know all that's going on around me.  It isn't my wish to take you from the man you love, but I will not be dishonored by an unloyal wife."  His eyes asked if she knew what he was getting at.  She nodded, understanding.  "Say good-bye to him however you must."  He placed a kiss on her forehead and turned, leaving her alone in the hallway.  Covering her lips, she sank down against the wall and finally let her cries out.

"So you see," Imhotep said, his present form having returned.  "You see what you were to me."

She looked up at him with moist eyes.  "Why did you care?  You had Anck-su-namun."  Her cries became less and less as the emotions from her vision died down.  "You dishonored my father and yet...you were no better than he was."

Imhotep watched her for a moment, letting her cry her anger out.  Then, almost as an after thought, he said, "I have paid for all that I have done.  Now so will you."  Evelyn stared at him in cold questioning as the dream started fading.  "Soon, my Nefertiri."

**

"Yeah, yeah," Rick O'Connell murmured as the clerk protested.  "I'm sure my friends won't mind me visiting this late."  Of all the places he hadn't wanted to go this week, Egypt was one of them.

"Please, Sir.  If you could return in the morning!"  The hotel clerk was very upset that Rick had chosen the middle of the night to make his entrance it seemed.

Rick turned and smiled, setting his bag down for a moment.  "What's your name again?" he asked.

The clerk seemed relieved that they weren't moving.  "Idshen."

Rick nodded to himself.  "Okay, Idshen.  See the problem we have here is that I just got in.  I don't have a room to stay in somewhere else.  You said you had no more.  I asked if Evelyn Carnahan was staying here and you said yes.  End of problem, okay?  They know me and won't mind if I drop in."  He hefted his bag onto his shoulder and began again.  "What room did you say again?"

He heard Idshen exhale.  "I will not tell you!"

Rick turned and grinned at the smirking clerk.  "I guess I'll have to knock on all these doors then."  He raised his fist to a nearby room.

Idshen was visibly irritated by this.  "Fine!"  He shook his head and walked past.  "Fine!  If they go stay somewhere else because I let you barge in on them you'll be staying here to replace the money lost!"  He stopped at a door.  "This is their room."

"Thank you, good buddy." Rick watched as the clerk huffed down the hall.  Shaking his head he muttered, "What's his problem?"  Frowning, Rick knocked.  It took a few moments, but finally he could see the knob being turned.  Very quietly.

The door opened a crack.  "Yes?" he heard.

Rick rolled his eyes and pushed the door open.  "Jonathan, you goof,  just let me in."  He stopped short at seeing an old friend point a gun at him.  "Whoa, whoa.  Just me."  He held his hands up.

Ardeth placed the gun back into the holster at his side.  "I am sorry, old friend.  I didn't realize it was you."  The Med-Jai then smiled.  "It is good to see you again."

Rick nodded, still not sure what to make of this situation and looked from one to the other.  "Yeah.  Good to see you too.  What's going on here?"

Jonathan plopped down on the couch and grabbed the bottle of scotch he'd smuggled up from Evy's eyes.  "Sit down, Old Boy.  Have a drink.  We'll tell you everything."

Throwing his bag down, Rick joined Jonathan on the couch.  "Okay."  He looked to Ardeth who'd taken a seat in a chair across from them.  "I take it this isn't a sleep over party."

Ardeth shook his head.  "No.  No party, O'Connell.  Evelyn and I are having strange dreams.  She's had a vision of the creature.  We aren't sure what's going on, but I believe it would be safer for her if I were here."

"So is this why you two came to Egypt?" Rick asked Jonathan, taking the scotch and stealing a drink.  "You should have told me.  I wouldn't have had to threaten the guy at the British Museum."

Jonathan shrugged.  "Well, she didn't want to worry you really.  She just thought a run down here would do her good and perhaps help her make sense of some of these dreams.  We hadn't counted on being here too long.  At least I didn't."  He snatched his bottle back.

Rick rubbed his eyes.  "So another adventure for us.  Next time does it have to involve mummies?"

Jonathan took a long drink and offered to Ardeth, who declined.  Shrugging, he took another drink.  "Ardeth Old Boy is hoping that it doesn't come to that this time.  I say I rather hope he's correct."

Ardeth's attention was elsewhere.  He held up his hand.  "Wait.  Listen."  They all got quiet.  Rick could swear he heard crying.  Ardeth stood and went to the door closest to him.  "Evelyn?" he asked and waited.  There was no reply.  Rick wasn't quite sure what to make of the warrior opening her bedroom door.  "Evelyn?"  He watched him enter and stood, joining him.  Jonathan followed.  Evy was asleep, tossing a little and whimpering.  Ardeth shook her.  "Evelyn, wake up."

She awoke with a start and immediately threw her arms around the Med-Jai, shaking.  "It was him.  It was Imhotep."

Rick nodded, watching.  "Right.  I can handle that."  He wasn't referring to the creature.

Jonathan clapped him on the shoulder.  "Perhaps there's some things I ought to let you in on," he said, drawing his friend back from the room and closing the door.

Rick sat down, grabbing the scotch bottle.  "So what, they're together now?"  He took a drink and looked over at the door.

Jonathan considered.  "Not exactly, no.  They are close it seems.  I'm not sure what to make of it actually."  He then snickered.  "Think you'll shoot him?"

Sitting back and exhaling, Rick shook his head.  "Nah.  Maybe later.  Not if, you know, that's what she wants."  He took the gun from his belt and rubbed the barrel.  "He'd better be good though.  Very good."

Jonathan grinned and took his bottle.  "Yes, or he'll have us to deal with."

Rick grunted at that, rolling his eyes.  "Uh huh.  Us."

**

"What happened?" Ardeth asked, conscious that O'Connell and Jonathan had left the room and closed the door.  He didn't care about western delicacy or how his being in here may appear to them right now.  All he cared about was Evelyn.  He touched her face.

Evy drew in a breath and wiped her cheeks, laughing.  "Silly, to get this worked up over a dream, huh?"  She moved her legs so he could sit beside her.  "Imhotep came to me.  It wasn't like the other dreams.  He was speaking to me in the present.  He said I would pay for everything I'd done.  Ardeth, Nefertiri had been promised in marriage to him."

He squeezed her hand, ignoring that for the moment.  "Did he say he'd been awakened?"

She shook her head.  "No.  He said that I would pay soon and then the dream was over.  I felt strange before I went to bed, sort of fuzzy.  I wanted to come in with you and Jonathan because it was sort of frightening me, but the next thing I knew I was in bed."

Ardeth looked down momentarily.  "We must be very cautious.  You say Nefertiri was promised to Imhotep in marriage?  That is very odd."

"Nefertiri felt more or less the same way."  Evy leaned back against the headboard.  "He showed me what happened, though I think he used his powers to show me my own memories.  I saw things he hadn't been around for."

"What did you see?"

She took a deep breath and looked distant, remembering.  "I saw Rameses but I can't for the life of me remember his face.  I knew people as they were in the dream.  Usually when I see Ankhwa there's some part of me that knows it's also you, but this time it wasn't like that.  Rameses told me that I didn't have to marry him and that I'd had been promised to Imhotep.  He told me that Seti was waiting for me in his throne room.  I felt very upset about that and when I ran into Ankhwa on the way I started telling him to take me away."  Evy looked downward and sighed.  "He told me to meet Imhotep and see if I could bear being with him.  I was so upset I left without saying a word and went to meet with him."

Ardeth squeezed her hand again, not even really realizing he was still holding it.  "It must have been very dangerous for them to run away."

Evy nodded sadly.  "Yes.  He was protecting her.  Seti joyfully announced to me that I'd be a bride soon and Imhotep said he was honored.  I of course agreed for fear of Seti's anger and he told us to go and get to know one another.  Imhotep didn't have many words, but he did tell me that he knew of Ankhwa and that he wouldn't tolerate an unfaithful wife.  He told me to say good-bye however I must and then left me.  The present Imhotep returned at that point and told me I would pay for everything I'd done.  He didn't show me any more than that.  I don't know what he's planning, but I did sense the intent for revenge."

Considering everything he'd been told, Ardeth looked at her.  His eyes were very serious.  "I will protect you with everything I have."

"Yes," she replied softly.  She wasn't sure what drove her to do it, but she touched his cheek gently, running her fingers across the tattoo there.  He closed his eyes.  "I know you will."  Evy then pulled her hand away.  "You've been so good to me since I arrived.  Thank you."

Eyes opened again, he shook his head.  "Think nothing of it."  The kiss did come this time.  Evy closed her eyes when he moved forward, his gaze not wavering.  His lips were soft and seeking as he kissed her.  Her heart was really pounding and she was quite sure that if this kept up she'd have a heart attack by the end of the week.  Pushing her mind past idle thinking, she wrapped her arms around him and urged him closer.

She was very disappointed when he pushed her back and stood.  "You need to rest," he told her, a quiet smile on his face.  "If you need us, Jonathan, O'Connell and I will be just outside."

Her eyes widened.  "Rick?  He's here?"  She threw back the blanket and moved past him, opening the door.  "Rick!?"  She smiled and hugged him
when he stood.  "What are you doing here?

Rick grinned.  "I came searching for you and Jonathan.  No way I'm gonna let you two adventure without me!"  He took a breath and looked at Ardeth.  "They told me you and he were having dreams."

She sat down with him.  Ardeth watched her as she told Rick of what had been happening.  He leaned back in thought.  Just what was happening between he and Evelyn?  She'd come back into his life a few days ago and already he was letting his feelings speak for him.  He watched her smile as O'Connell made a wise crack.  Soul mates?  Was that what he and this western woman were?  He wondered if this was the path their souls had taken over and over since Nefertiri and Ankhwa.  And each time she would have died young.  He didn't even know his own fate other than seemingly to love her.  But he wasn't some heart sick young boy.  He was man and he would use wisdom in this.  He cared for her very much he admitted to himself.  History had brought them together again and again and he felt fairly certain that if he let himself he could love her just as easily as Ankhwa had.  But was that wise?  If the cycle could be broken by letting her go...

He frowned.  He'd already let her go as Ankhwa and it seemed that hadn't worked.  He'd told her to go to Imhotep.  Sitting up straight, he furrowed his brow in thought.  Imhotep.  Imhotep couldn't have killed her each life cycle, could he?  It occurred to him that this could be the second link in the chain so to speak and it was too late to let her go this time.  She was already in danger.  He clenched his jaw, feeling helpless.  It was like trying to figure out a puzzle that didn't have all it's pieces.  She would simply have to stay close to him.  He looked up as O'Connell waved his hand in front of his face.  "Hey.  You still awake?"

Ardeth shook his head and smiled at his friend.  "My apologies.  I have not been myself since moving to Cairo."

"Yes," Jonathan said, nodding.  "Must be hard on you, Old Chap.  What with having to sleep in a soft bed...have running water and a stove.  Not being able to lift up cows whenever the mood strikes you."

Ardeth laughed.  "Yes.  A barbarian such as myself cannot fully appreciate the wonders of the modern world, Jonathan."

"Of course I didn't mean that," Jonathan replied, taking a drink from his scotch and forgetting to hide it from Evy.  She shook her head at him and took the bottle.  "Hey!  Fancy that."  He sighed mournfully as Ardeth and Rick both chuckled.  He stood.  "Well, I'm going off to my room. Goodnight."

Evy heaved a long suffering sigh and stood herself.  "Well, Boys.  I'm tired as well."  She waited, wondering what their plans were.

Rick and Ardeth exchanged glances.  "I need a place to stay," Rick said first.  "Just got in tonight."

Ardeth waved him off.  "O'Connell can sleep on the couch, but I would also like to stay if it's not an intrusion.  I will gladly take the chair."  O'Connell was a very able fighter but he just didn't feel comfortable leaving her right now.

Evy yawned and started towards her door.  "Of course you're more than welcome, both of you.  Goodnight."

They both watched her off and in unison replied, "Goodnight."  Rick hefted his bag off the couch and ran his fingers through his hair uncomfortably.  "You want the couch?"

Shaking his head, the Med-Jai sat down in the chair.  "No, my friend.  I can rest just fine here in the chair."  He shifted.

Rick grinned and laid down.  "Sure.  Med-Jai are trained to ignore pain, right?"

Ardeth nodded and smiled.  "Yes, though I've been through worse than a night in a chair."  He shifted again and closed his eyes.  "Sleep well, O'Connell."

O'Connell settled into his couch, saying, "Likewise."