Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter Five - What If You Did...What If You Lied...
Rating:  PG13
Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/ninthsaturn
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.

Wait, don't freak...

**
A HUGE THANK YOU to all my reviewers!  I'm so pleased that this story is being enjoyed.  Your reviews are what keep it alive!  Thank you sooo muchly!  :-D

Thanks to Deana for the tips she gave me.

**

Ardeth Bay opened his dark eyes slowly and groaned.  He was sore everywhere.  Sitting up, he looked to O'Connell who had an expression of perfect peace written on his face.  He grunted and rubbed his shoulder, thankful that he was the first to awaken.  That at least befitted a warrior of his caliber.  Standing up, he moved to the window nearby and looked out at the morning.  Bright and cheerful as usual.  Why did he feel such dread?  He looked off in the direction of his father's home.  His home.  He was going to have to check on Horus and see if there was any response. Turning from the beautiful daylight, he ventured to Evy's room and opened the door silently.  She was still sound asleep, safe as could be.  He sighed.  Dread or not there was nothing going on right now and he had a reality to return to.  The museum.  He could think of a dozen others that were suited better for this job but now he saw the wisdom in it.  He'd been placed there to meet Evelyn again, he was certain.  If he had given his father's responsibility to someone else he would never have seen her again, never have been able to stop the creature from having his revenge. Closing her door he turned and went to Rick and shook him.  "O'Connell," he said.  "Wake up."

Rick opened one eye and looked at the large warrior above him.  "Aw God, Ardeth.  It's too early for this."  He rolled over.  "Tell Imhotep to come back later if he's here."  Rick snuggled against the throw pillow he'd been using.

Ardeth had to chuckle at his friend.  Westerners always had something humorous and witty to say even in a dire circumstance such as waking too early.  "I must go to the museum.  Please tell Evelyn when she wakes up."  He shook his head and waited.  "Rick?"

O'Connell waved his hand.  "Yeah.  Museum.  Have fun."

Bay looked heavenward and headed out the door.  He wasn't quite sure about leaving her but after all, they weren't attached.  He had to let go of her for a least a while and O'Connell was with her.  She'd be safe.

His home was like any other in this area.  It was well furnished and beautiful.  His father's home.  Two stories of comfort and elegance loomed above him like a cage filled with pain.  Memories of his father.  Of course he'd visited this house very often during his life.  He could see why his father enjoyed living here but his heart yearned for the desert.  That was his true home.  Still this house wasn't a bad place to live.  He could never bare to part with it after the many memories he'd made here.  Evelyn would suit this house.

Opening the front door, he stopped and looked around.  Looking up the stairs his mind flashed to a time he'd gazed up, praying his father would live through the night.  He'd taken quite ill.  Of course he hadn't lost his father that night, but it had been one of the most frightening times in his life. Taking a breath, he placed his hand on the rail and climbed, remembering.  Times had certainly changed.  When he opened his bedroom door his eyes fell upon Horus.  The bird was asleep on his perch.  Ardeth stepped close and gripped the note attached to his leg.  Horus ruffled his feathers and opened his eyes, annoyed.  Ardeth began softly untying the note.  Horus hissed.  Chuckling, Ardeth shook his head.  "Don't be so temperamental, Bird," he commented, poking Horus in his side and making the churlish bird ruffle his feathers again.  Horus watched the Med-Jai out of one eye in clear and utter disdain.  "I think this city is having an affect on us both."  Ardeth removed the note finally and watched as his bird moved down his perch as far away as he could get from his master and settled back down, watching.  "Go back to sleep, Little Brute."  Horus seemed content with that command.

Ardeth rolled his eyes, wondering if he were the only one in Cairo willing to wake at such an early hour.  Opening the note, he read.

Ardeth -
This Med-Jai you mention was listed as having died of illness about three weeks before Seti's death.  For some reason he was not buried with the Med-Jai.  His burial site is located a few miles south of Hamunaptra.  There isn't much else on him.
Ahmed

Nodding, Ardeth exhaled.  Of course there wouldn't be much else on him.  That would make things too easy.  Ankhwa died before Seti.  Before Nefertiri.  Evelyn wasn't the only one in danger.  If he lost his life...he couldn't protect her.  The chain would start over again.  It occurred to him that perhaps visiting this burial site could yield more information.  They were safe nowhere and it wouldn't matter.  Letting out a frustrated breath, he went into his washroom and began drawing a bath.  He needed to relax and think.  As the water ran he went to his closet and picked out the day's attire.  Uncertainly, he gripped his desert robes and threw them onto the bed.  Knowing Evy's curious mind she would want to go investigate that burial site.  Bringing his work clothes into the bathroom with him, he stripped himself and got into the tub, making himself comfy in the warm water.  It eased his sore body, that was certain.  What would his fellow Med-Jai think of him now, letting a little thing like sleeping in a chair bother him?  He chuckled at the remarks that occurred to him, let alone what his brethren would tease him with.

**

Jonathan giggled when Evy emerged from her room - half asleep and mussed.  "You look like Hell," he commented, taking a swig of last night's scotch.

She wandered to him and jerked the bottle from him.  "Shut up, Jonathan," she said, taking a drink.

"Evy!" Jonathan exclaimed, his hands hovering between grasping the bottle and not.  "What's got into you?" He took it when she finally let up and cradled it in his arms.

Rick watched her sit in a chair.  "Hey, Sleepy.  Bad dreams?"  He polished his gun.  That was always a sign that something bad was going to happen sooner or later.

Evy rubbed her eyes.  She still felt fuzzy.  That was also a bad sign.  "Lots of dreams."  She then looked around the room.  "Where's Ardeth?"

Taking a deep breath, Rick answered, "Museum.  He went about an hour...maybe two hours ago.  Odd timing for a tour."

Evy half smiled.  Ardeth taking a tour.  There was a novel thought.  "He works there, Silly."

Rick snickered at this.  "Works there?  Doing what?  Rent-a-guard?"

"He happens to be the curator," she answered, smirking.

He scratched his head.  "Ardeth's a snotty little curator?  This keeps getting better and better.  Maybe I should join the Russian Ballet,"  He said that with a shake of his head.

Jonathan grinned, his leg draped over the side of a chair.  "Fancy that.  You in tights.  Smashing, I say.  Hit of the town."

"Right," Rick agreed, pushing his gun into it's holster.  "Or not."  He pulled out the twin of the gun he'd jsut polished.

Evy smiled pleasantly.  "Don't be ridiculous, Jonathan.  Rick's place is no where near ballet.  No.  It takes a strong and secure man to accomplish such a graceful and cultured task."

Rick pointed his other gun at Evy, shaking it.  "Is she saying I'm uncultured?  Women these days."

"I quite agree," Jonathan offered, swirling his bottle and peering inside.  "Mean spirited, they are.  Pushy, rude.  Nothing like our mothers used to be."

"Oh honestly," Evy said, leaning her chin on her hand.

Rick smiled.  "Very honestly."

She stood.  Straightened her posture, she said, "I'm going to take a bath now.  When I get out I'm going to the museum.  Alone.  You two hellions should find something useful to do."

"Going to see your desert man?" Rick asked, studying his gun and polishing a spot.

She watched him for a moment, debating on how to answer his childish tone.  "Rick," she started, then stopped.  "Shut up."  She turned on her heel and went into her room, closing the door behind her.

Jonathan winced.  "Way to go, Champ."  At Rick's glare he then asked, "Jealous?"

Rick rolled his eyes.  "No.  Yeah.  No.  I mean I know it's over.  It's just weird, that's all."  He sighed.  "I guess...I dunno."

"You knew it would happen one day," Evy's brother said.

"Yeah, yeah.  I knew."  Rick watched her door.  "And it's okay."  He looked over at Jonathan, wanting to change the subject.  "So what useful things shall we do today?"

Rubbing his hands together, Jonathan perked up and grinned.  "Oh, I thought we might celebrate your coming to Egypt.  Perhaps at a little casbah I know of."

"Now that's useful," Rick agreed, grinning also.

In her room, Evy was busy running a bath.  She eyed the bath beads and other soap additives that were arranged on a ledge above the tub. Choosing a rose scented bath oil, she set it aside and went into the bedroom and to her suitcase.  Sighing as she heard Rick and Jonathan laughing, she picked out a sleeveless mid-calf high black dress with a matching cotton jacket only slightly longer and muttered, "Desert man."  He had no right to tease her so!  It wasn't as if anything were happening between her and Ardeth.  Not much at any rate.  She rolled her eyes and went back into the washroom.  

Setting her clothing down, she sat on the edge of the tub and ran her fingers through the water. Satisfied with the temperature, she disrobed and got into the relaxing heat of the bath.  She leaned back and closed her eyes, exhausted.  Imhotep had bothered her sleep all night.  Even now she could sense his presence with her, watching her.  "Please," she said, knowing he'd never have mercy. He would never let her rest.

She suddenly became aware of just how drowsy and fuzzy she was feeling.  Just like last night.  Her head drooped.  "Jonathan," she whispered, certain she'd meant to yell.  "Rick."  If she fell asleep in this tub...no.  Imhotep wouldn't allow her to die like this, she was sure of it.  He'd want to thoroughly enjoy watching her torment.  You will not succeed in this, she thought to the priest.  Was that laughter she heard within the depths of her mind?  She frowned and forced her eyes open and knew at that point she needed to get out of the tub, comfortable or not.  She was too tired and comfort usually led to sleep in such an exhausted state.  

Taking a deep breath, she braced herself against the sides of the tub and lifted herself out.  As she stepped out she immediately fell to her knees. She whimpered and grabbed a towel trying to fight against the wave of disorientation as she wrapped it around herself.   You don't scare me.  She winced as an image of Imhotep assailed her mind, his looming above her and kicking her down.  With a  low cry she collapsed completely to the floor and passed out.

**

Scratching his head, Jonathan looked around the large crowd.  "Where the devil could he be?" he muttered, searching.  Just a short trip to get a drink had turned him into a one man search party.  They'd probably gotten separated in the hustle going on around them.  Who couldn't?  He sighed in frustration.  Cairo was nothing if not busy during the day.

He'd give Rick a few more minutes before heading to the casbah without him.  Of course odds were, knowing O'Connell, he'd already abandoned him to his own devices of reaching it and would snicker when he arrived.  He stopped by a fruit stand.  "Hello, Good Fellow," he said to the man standing there, looking expectantly.

"Yes, yes," he replied excitedly, holding up a melon.  "They taste juicy and wonderful.  How many?"  He started loading fruit into a little bag.

Jonathan held up forestalling hands.  "No.  I was wondering if you saw a friend of mine.  Tall chap.  Light hair.  Blue eyes.  Smug look.  Seen him?"

The seller backed off.  "No , no.  Please, stand back.  This space is for customers."  He waved Jonathan back.

Jonathan exhaled and blocked his eyes from the sun, still searching.  The sun was quite hot.

**

Ardeth read over the fifth paper in his stack of twenty three.  Try as he might, he couldn't keep his mind on his work.  He saw visions of the desert, visions of home.  He'd be excited to get out again if they chose to visit Ankhwa's burial place and he knew Evy wouldn't pass that up.  He leaned back in his father's chair and stretched.  Looking to the clock, he decided it was time for lunch.  Truth be told, he was a little disappointed that Evy hadn't come yet.  His eyes fixed on the note from Ahmed, wishing they were leaving now instead of later.

He pushed his chair back and stood, thinking of where he would go for lunch.  He grinned, thinking back on an old saying the Med-Jai used to tell their women.  A good warrior will fight off a good foe.  A fed warrior will fight off ten.  It was a good saying, Ardeth decided.

Just as he reached up to turn the door handle, it turned for him.  He backed away and waited.  He had an eerie feeling as the door slowly opened, but smiled when it revealed his visitor.  "You almost startled me, my friend," he commented.

"Mm.  I did?  Sorry."  There was something odd about his eyes, Ardeth noticed.  His friend approached him quietly. 

The attack came before Ardeth could think anything of it and sent him doubled over and falling to his knees in pain.  There wasn't time for him to wonder at why this was happening.  He rushed to his feet and took on a defensive posture, ignoring the wave of nausea that washed over him due to the sharp kick in the stomach he'd just received.  "What are you doing?" he growled uncertainly, watching as the person before him advanced again.

His friend-turned-foe smiled coldly and despite all the experience and knowledge he believed he had over this man, Ardeth fell once more to his foe's swift attack.  "You're not so tough," the man above him commented, kicking his side.

Ardeth hovered on his knees for a moment, dizzy and confused, then darted to grab him by his leg and pull him down but was deflected despite his incredible speed. He groaned as his wrist cracked, a third kick nearly breaking it.  He fought back a yelp of pain, not willing to give his friend that. This was wrong.  How could he be so easily beaten?  His mind raced with possibilities as fingers ran through his hair, yanking his head back.  His gaze was forced to this man and Ardeth stared up, betrayal written in his brown eyes.  So this is how it would end for him?  Losing in a battle he knew he should have won?  Surely this wasn't his new lifestyle.  He couldn't have lost his great ability so quickly and so easily.  

Ignoring the pain it would cause, he pulled himself from the man's grasp and sent his shoulder into him, knocking him over.  "You will not beat me so easily."  He moved fast, crawling to his desk and ripping open a drawer.  Grasping his knife and preparing himself to do something he wasn't sure he could, he turned and advanced on his attacker.  But it was either this or let himself die.  He'd underestimated this man, that was certain.  He'd never have thought his life would be in danger by this person, this friend.  His heart ached at what he was about to do.  "Will you stop this madness?" he asked as his foe sat across from him, laughing.

"Oh, you're not going to kill me are you?  What will she think?"  He got to his feet and advanced again.

Ardeth held the knife forth, keeping his keen eyes focussed on all possible routes of attack.  It only took a moment and his foe went for him.  Ardeth struck with as much strength as he could and in fear realized he'd been avoided.  He steeled himself as his friend pinned his arm behind his back roughly and pushed him to the floor, chest down.  He gasped as his foe's fist slammed into his mouth, breaking his lip and causing blood to flow.  The knife fell before Ardeth's eyes, teasing him as he struggled to get up and fight.  And with a blow to the head blackness took him.

**

"Abdul," Evy greeted, eager to get to Ardeth.  When she'd finally woken up neither Jonathan nor Rick could be found.  She didn't feel safe, being alone.  "Is Ardeth still here?  I hope he hasn't left for lunch, though it is a little late for that."  She removed her black hat and smiled.

Abdul considered and snapped his fingers.  "Come to think of it, Love, Ardeth hasn't come out of that office all day.  That's odd.  He hates it in there."  He stood. "Bet we should investigate.  Let's go."

Evy took a deep breath and followed, feeling better but wary.  She didn't feel Imhotep's presence at the moment, which was good, but she felt no where near safe.  When Abdul knocked there was no answer.  "Perhaps he left without your notice," she suggested as Abdul shrugged.

"Mmm.  Maybe.  Let's have a bit of a look around?"  He opened the door.

Evy gasped at the mess.  She rushed in and looked around.  "Oh my."  She knelt down and picked up a knife from the floor.  There was blood beside the place it had been.  "Ardeth," she whispered, touching the knife blade.  "Oh no."

Abdul's eyes widened.  "His drawer's been opened.  I'm gonna go get the authorities, Love.  Sit tight."  He turned and rushed from the room.

Evy stayed near the floor, wondering what had happened.  She refused to think of the possibilities.  She kept waiting for him to enter and explain what had happened, but as the moments passed she grew less and less hopeful.  All she did was sit on her knees and wait, wait for what seemed an eternity.  She wasn't even worried about Imhotep or the fuzziness or the revenge.  Her mind focussed on Ardeth.  

Finally Abdul returned with a few of the local policemen. Standing, she shook the hand of the one that introduced himself, only vaguely aware that he'd said his name.  She watched with detachment as he turned.  "All right.  So you say this curator hadn't come out of his office all day?  This is unusual?"

Abdul nodded.  "Mr. Bay doesn't care much for working in here.  He'd have come out sooner or later."

Evy moved away as they talked, looking around.  She looked on the floor, on the furniture, on his desk.  And her eyes caught a note.  Crossing her arms, she moved so she could read it and then looked up to see if she was being watched.  The note mentioned a Med-Jai and Hamunaptra.  She couldn't let that be found.  When she was sure no one was looking, she grasped it and put it in her handbag.  She turned as the policeman finished with Abdul and approached.  Her heart raced, fearing he's seen her take the note.  "You are Mr. Bay's friend?" he asked to her relief.

"Yes," she answered, letting out the breath she'd been holding.  "Yes, I am."  She looked at the paper he was writing on.

The man noticed her apparent discomfort and took on a compassionate expression.  "We will do everything to find him, Miss.  Perhaps you should give me your address and return home to rest."  He held out his paper and pencil.

She shook her head.  "No.  I want to stay here until we find out what's going on."  Swallowing, she stood firm.

The investigator shook his head.  "Miss, I'm afraid that's just not a good idea.  You would be doing him a better service if you let us handle this."

"But..." she started as he gently took her arm.  Sighing as he pushed her back lightly, she gave up.  She needed to find Rick and Jonathan anyway, she supposed.  

"Please," he said.  He held out the paper and pencil again.

Evy took it, feeling her face get hot and her sides hurt.  She wrote where she was staying and the room and handed it back, looking down. "Thank you."   Walking past, she stopped in front of Abdul.  "You will tell me if anything is discovered?"

"Yeah," he answered, shock still written on his face.  "Course, Evybug."  Before she left, he touched her shoulder.  "Ardeth's a strong man.  He's fine."

She nodded, certain the shock mirrored in her own expression.  "Yes.  Yes, he is."  Leaving the museum was hard she discovered as she approached the doors.  What if he came back any moment?  What if he'd rushed to the hotel and was now on his way back, having seen her gone?  He was a good fighter.  She couldn't fathom a foe that could take him down.  No one in the museum had heard.  She clenched her fists.  No one had thought to check on him after so long.  What if...what if.  A thousand 'what ifs' entered her mind.  What if he were dead.

No.  She couldn't afford to think like that.  Besides, if he were dead wouldn't his body have been left there in the office?  She groaned as a few reasons why it wouldn't have been entered her mind.  No, Evy.  Ardeth is fine.  Rick and even Jonathan will help you find him.  She wrapped her arms around herself, peering up into the afternoon sky.  He was out there alive somewhere, she knew.  If he had gone she'd have known somehow.  She was sure of that.

It felt lonely all the sudden, walking these streets.  Dark and dangerous, even in the light of day.  It occurred to her that whoever had attacked Ardeth might well be after her as well.  Hounds of the Imhotep, minions.  She glanced at the alley to her left and walked a little faster.  She'd do Ardeth no good if she was attacked as well.  And then her adrenaline rushed as she heard footsteps.  Evy fought the urge to whip around.  It was only mid-afternoon.  Of course there would be others walking the streets.

It wasn't until the hand fell on her shoulder that she allowed her fear to step up past her other emotions.  With a yelp, she turned and slammed her hand bag into her assailant.  Widening her eyes, she gasped.  "Oh good Heaven, Rick!  I'm so sorry."  She touched his shoulder where she'd struck. "Does it hurt?"

He grinned and rubbed the tender place her bag had hit him.  "I'll live, I'm sure.  Seen Jonathan?"  He looked around the streets.

She shook her head.  "I just left the museum.  I thought he would have been with you.  Look, Rick.  Ardeth's missing."

Rick widened his eyes.  "What?  Missing?  Sure he didn't just go..."

"No," she answered quickly.  "His office was a mess and they found a knife and oh, Rick.  There was blood on the floor."

He touched her shoulder which made her emotions worse.  She was sure that the full extent of her worry now showed on her face.  His eyes were sympathetic.  "Look, we'll find him.  You know Ardeth.  He's a big tough guy.  I'd bet even a gang of crazed gorillas couldn't face him down."  He smiled.  Rick always had a way of making her laugh herself out of worry or pain, but it just didn't work this time.  He pulled her into a hug.  "It's gonna be okay."

Evy exhaled and leaned into him, watching over his shoulder.  "I know, Rick," she breathed.  "I know."

**

He was alone in the desert, the wind sweeping sand across his face.  It was different than any of the other dreams.  It was fuzzy, less tangible.  He looked at the night sky, at the stars that alone kept him company.  And then he heard it.  It wasn't anything above a sweet whispering in the shadows.  He turned his head towards the sound, searching.  He could swear he'd seen a campfire, but when he looked there was nothing there.  "Who is there?" he called out into the shadows.

The whispering again.  This time he turned his head quicker and just within his field of vision he saw a shadow on the sand, lit by the light of the fire.  "Nefertiri," he said once the vision died down.  He could feel her presence out here within the desert, but he could not see.

"Ardeth," the whisper called, a ghostly silent cry.  He walked over the sand dune before him and could barely perceive the shadow's outline as being a woman.  She was dancing, a slow rythmic dance.  Seductive.

Swallowing, he tried to hold the vision.  "Nefertiri," he said more insistently as it blackened.  "My Love, where are you?"  He closed his eyes and lost balance as the image of her running in the darkness took his sight.  When he regained himself he began running, searching the sands for her.

"Ardeth," the whisper cried, pleading with him.  "Ardeth."

His heart ached that he could not find her, try as he might.  There was nothing but sand surrounding him.  Sand and darkness.  "Nefertiri," he whispered, stopping to catch his breath.  "My Love."  He could hear a faint laughing now in the shadows.  It wasn't her laughter.  He didn't bother to try and look.  They were lost together in the darkness.  "Evelyn," he managed to said before the blackness swallowed him too.

**

He was slow to awaken completely.  The first thing Ardeth could truly focus on was the throbbing pain in his head.  Then slowly other things became known.  The now dry cut on his lip, the likely large bruises that pained his side.  The heat in his wrist.  His wrist.  Opening his eyes he was greeted by nearly completely blackness.  Ardeth moved his arms and confirmed that his senses were correct.  He was shackled.  Without moving, he let himself perceive what he could.

He was laying on something hard, a cement floor no doubt.  There were no tell-tale sounds that would help him identify his whereabouts, though the cement floor indicated he was probably still in Cairo, assuming he hadn't been out cold past night.  It wasn't very warm in here, though he couldn't say it was cold either.  Venturing his hand forth, he found a metal bar between his hands.  Some sort of cell?  Gripping the bar, he pulled himself into a sitting position and groaned when he finally made it up.  The pain where he'd been kicked was very distracting.  He was thankful it was dark, for he was certain if he could see the room it would be spinning.  He leaned against the wall, stone he noted, and fought the wave of nausea that swept over him.  Thankfully nothing was broken, it seemed.  Using his final available sense, he deduced he was in some sort of barn or corral. He'd caught the scent of hay, though he couldn't say for sure if there had been animals in here any time in the past week or two.  He sighed and focussed as his eyes grew used to the meager light.  It was a well made barn, that was certain.  There were very few places where the sun broke in.

There wasn't much else he could do at this point.  He'd identified all that his senses would allow.  Breathing in, he closed his eyes and swallowed, hoping that at least the dizziness went away quickly.  The most painful part of this was that he'd been betrayed by someone he'd nearly completely trusted.  It angered him that he'd been so foolish as to think himself safe.  But he just couldn't understand it.  He'd been betrayed before and there was always a reason.  Perhaps she was the reason here.  But why?

Thinking of Evelyn made his mind wander back to the dream.  Even that left him aching.  Clenching his fists, Ardeth pulled at the bar with his chains. It did no good except to cause his wrist more pain.  He exhaled in frustration.  Licking his dry lips and tasting the blood, he leaned back and let himself get as comfortable as he could.  "I will get free," he growled, wondering if the creature would hear.  "You will not succeed."

Ardeth was about to close his eyes again when his eyes caught a light forming from the center of the room.  It started as small beams and finally worked it's way into a form.  Despite the darkness he could see plainly who it was.  Imhotep.  He was grinning.  "You think you can beat me, Med-Jai?" he asked in his ancient language as he crouched in front of Ardeth.  "You see my powers grow stronger and stronger."  He indicated himself, how he could appear to Ardeth.  "I will be worse than last time and your little friends will not hinder me again."  Hands reached for Ardeth and touched his shoulder as if he had friendship with this monster.  "I will kill you and Nefertiri."  Just as quick as he'd touched Ardeth's shoulder, Imhotep slammed his fist into Ardeth's lip, breaking the cut open again.  Ardeth remained silent despite the dizziness and blurring of his vision.  "You refuse to talk.  I should hurt you until you cry out for your insolence, but I know what will hurt you more.  Hurting her."

"No!" Ardeth hissed, pulling against his shackles.  "Leave her out of this.  It is I that you should be angry with."  He winced as the pain washed over him and threatened to take his consciousness.

Imhotep laughed again.  "You know little."  He stood and loomed above Ardeth.  "But all will be revealed.  You and your love will pay for all you have done just as I paid."  He smiled.  "Perhaps I will return later," he added before disappearing into the darkness of the barn.

Ardeth pulled again at the chains and slammed his arm into the bars.  He was angry at the creature, angry that he couldn't protect Evelyn and angry at the Betrayer.  How could this have happened?  He licked his pained lips.  There had to be some way he could get free.  Every foe had a weakness. Unfortunately at the moment, so did he.  Leaning back as the dizziness swept over him one last time, he closed his eyes and let the blessed blackness take him.