Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter Six - Wings of Night
Rating:  PG13
Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/ninthsaturn
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.
Note:  Er, ah.  Sorry Ellbee. ;-D  Just a little bit in here.
Also, Note:  Hope this isn't all sucking..and I hope I didn't scare anyone off with that last part.  hehe.  ;-)

**
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Rick studied the note, turning it upside down and around.  He knew he should have learned Arabic writing.  "Okay," he sighed, turning.  He watched as Evy approached the falcon carefully.  The bird ruffled it's feathers and hissed, causing her to jump.  He grinned.  "I give.  What does this note say?"  She straightened a moment, looking at him.

"It says that Ankhwa, Ardeth's past life, died before Seti.  And that means..."  Evy leaned down once more, hoping to gain some trust between she and the falcon that sat haughtily on it's perch.  She ventured a finger towards Horus.  "Oh," she exclaimed, drawing her hand back when he nipped. "You're a very naughty bird."  She turned back to Rick.  "It means that he died before Nefertiri."  She moved to a nearby desk.  "Ankhwa's burial site is near to Hamunaptra."

Rick shook his head.  "I knew we'd have to go back eventually.  What are you going to do?"  

"I think I'm getting an idea," she answered, looking over the desktop.

He bent over and poked at Horus, gasping when the bird bit him.  "You little..." Rick muttered, tempted to draw back his fist.  Instead he motioned with his thumb.  "Ardeth sends notes by this little jerk?"

She was opening a drawer and looking.  "He does.  And that's what I intend to do."

Standing, Rick eyed her.  He laughed lightly.  "You're kidding.  What, are you going to hand him the paper and buy him a train ticket?  Explain how to get there?"

Evy heaved a long suffering sigh.  "He already knows how to get to where he's going.  I'm going to inform the Med-Jai that Ardeth is missing."  She glanced back at the falcon.  "All I have to do is fix a note to him somehow and send him on his way."  She pulled out a small paper and grabbed a pencil.

Rick examined his bitten finger and scowled at the bird.  Horus scowled back.  "Yeah, I said you're a jerk."  He backed away when Horus spread his wings defensively.

"Leave him alone," Evy said absently as she wrote a message on the paper.  When the note was complete she took a string from the drawer and tied it around the paper.  Then she turned to face the falcon.  She approached slowly, crouching slightly and smiling. "You are a good bird," she soothed, her hand moving softly.  "Yes and you'll let me tie this to your leg, won't you?"  Horus eyed her warily as she began wrapping the string around his leg.  "That's because you're a good bird.  You want your daddy to come home safe and sound and he needs his people."  The falcon watched her intently, opening his beak now and then and shifting his wings.  Evy maintained a friendly eye contact with him. "Good bird."  Sighing in relief, she tied the end off and straightened.

Rick waited a moment.  "So, why doesn't he leave?"

Wincing, she looked at the window and back at him.  "I think one of us has to sort of hold him outside."  Her eyes spoke volumes of pleading.

"No," he answered firmly, shaking his head.  "That bird likes you, Evy.  You got the paper on him.  You shove his little butt out the window."  Rick crossed his arms defiantly.

Her eyes got wide.  "Rick, please.  I need you to do this for me."  Her brown depths glittered in an expression he couldn't refuse.

He sighed.  "Yeah.  Fine."  He moved before the perch and pointed Horus in the chest.  "Look pal, if you bite me again I'll kick you out that window. Got me?"  Horus watched him.  Rick opened his hand to grasp the feisty falcon.

"No!" Evy exclaimed, startling both man and bird.  She smiled apologetically.  "Hold out your arm and let him climb up."

"Sure."  He held out his arm for Horus to climb on.  The falcon eyed it cautiously.  Rolling his eyes, Rick said, "Sorry it's no Rolls Royce.  Ardeth has softer shirts, huh?"  Horus seemed to agree by his refusal to perch on Rick.

Evy looked around the bedroom.  She went to the bed and grasped the black desert robes that had been laid out.  Returning, she held out a sleeve to Rick.  He eyed her as if to say, 'You are kidding,' and she exhaled in frustration.  "Just try it."

Rick looked heavenward.  "Why do I do these things?"  He slipped his arm through the sleeve and turned back to Horus, holding his arm out again. He could swear that bird looked amused.  Waving his arm in front of Horus' view, he impatiently growled, "Get on!"  Thankfully Horus was more agreeable and stepped up slowly onto the black sleeve, his claws clutching at the cloth to maintain a grip.  Rick walked to the window and shoved his arm out. "All right.  End of the line for you."  When Horus didn't move, Rick waved his arm as if to encourage him.  He didn't budge.  "This is very funny, Bird. Very funny."  He shot Evy a pleading glance.

With a smirk, she walked over and said, "All this fuss.  Quit playing around and let him do his job."  She nudged Horus and the falcon immediately took flight.  Evy smiled sweetly at Rick.

He pointed out the window.  "That bird was messing around with me," was his reply to her honey glazed and teasing expression.

Evy pet Rick on this shoulder, removing the robe.  "Oh, honestly.  He's just a little bird."  She held the robe to her.  "We should go find Jonathan."

"Yeah," he agreed, rubbing his bite mark.  He watched her almost grudgingly put the black robe onto the bed.  When she walked past him he joined her, muttering, "I'm gonna get that bird."

**

This time Ardeth awoke quite rapidly to the sensation of sharp pain.  Opening his eyes, he immediately tried to sit and found that worsened the stinging in his shoulder quite noticeably.  The soft light that the high priest gave off revealed a knife being slowly pushed into his skin.  He gripped the post between his arms and grit his teeth, trying not to make a sound.  He looked as Imhotep sat before him, watching his painful handiwork as if he were mending a cut on a child.  Ardeth's first instinct was to lash out at the dread priest, but he just wasn't in any position.  Besides, Imhotep would only be angered and do worse damage.  And so he hugged to the post and closed his eyes, trying to push his mind away from the torture.  It didn't work very good.  "You endure this well," Imhotep commented quietly, pulling the knife almost completely out.  "It fascinates me."  He pushed the knife back in.  Ardeth clenched his fists and held his breath, still unwilling to allow Imhotep the pleasure.

"I will endure until the end," he assured the creature beside him when the pain eased enough for him to speak.

Imhotep nodded, considering.  "The end will come soon."  He ripped the knife from Ardeth's shoulder, winning a grunt of pain.  "I was never a bad man in my days of life.  But those who crossed me soon learned that their mistakes costed more than they were worth."  Imhotep eyed Ardeth's thigh clinically before stabbing the knife down as hard as he could.  Ardeth couldn't help but cry out as the steel tip of the weapon hit his leg bone. "I would have let what Nefertiri did go had your people allowed me to raise Anck-su-namun and take her from Thebes."  He twisted the knife and Ardeth cried out, nauseated by the pressure and burning in now both his side and his leg.

When Imhotep pulled the knife out Ardeth slumped against the post.  His shoulders hurt from hugging it so hard, and he was still woozy from his head injury.  The pain in his wrist paled in comparison to the rest of his already weak body.  "And what then?" he managed, swallowing.  He rested during Imhotep's pause in torture.

The creature shrugged and to Ardeth's surprise he answered,  "I do not know.  The events of that night weren't planned."  He pulled the knife from Ardeth's leg and fingered it's blade.  "Nefertiri killed Anck-su-namun and I that night.  I suppose it's only fitting.  After all we killed her father.  I heard her scream for the Med-Jai as we killed Seti.  She dishonored me and then brought about our deaths."  His tone was rough and edged with contempt.  "What love did she have for Seti?  She must have been avenging you."  Imhotep was getting angry, Ardeth could tell.  He'd be more dangerous that way.  The dark creature began slicing open the arm of his shirt.  "I will make you both suffer as I have."

Ardeth clenched his fists as Imhotep ran the knife softly up to his bicep and then sliced in.  He tensed as the blood and sweat flowed, waiting through the eternity that the ghostly priest tormented him.  With each passing moment he became more dizzy and the darkness taunted him, threatening to take his consciousness.  He looking forward to the blessed peace.  Somehow though, he suspected Imhotep was keeping him awake. Exhausted, aching and about to black out, Ardeth barely registered the knife being lifted from his arm.  Imhotep moved just within his fuzzy field of vision and again placed his hand on the Med-Jai's shoulder, ignoring the blood that got on his hand.  He smiled.  "I will enjoy hurting you both."  The dread priest's fist slammed Ardeth's head into the post and he stood.  Ardeth blinked, barely able to focus as Imhotep said, "My servant will return to you later.  The spell I placed on you should keep you awake for a while yet.  Enjoy your consciousness."  And just as his words ended, he left.  Imhotep would never admit as much to him, but he surmised it took great effort to project himself.

Ardeth exhaled shakily, leaning against the post.  He could barely move.  As it was, if he did manage to shift, it caused him severe pain somewhere. Gritting his teeth, he edged himself over until he could lay down on his uninjured side, groaning with each move he made.  When he finally laid down he closed his eyes, barely able to think straight.  He prayed that the priest's spell would wear off quickly.  There would be an opportunity for escape, he knew.  There always was.  Imhotep's servant would return at some point.  Perhaps it would be then.  Taking a deep inward breath, he decided to distract himself if he could.  He thought of Evy.  Perhaps it worked or perhaps the spell wore off, for the last thing he remembered before finally finding sleep was the image in his mind of her smile.

**

Jonathan smiled at the barmaid on his lap and eyed the two men sitting with him.  If there was one thing he could do, it was spin a tale so heroic and so inspiring as to capture an audience, even if it was made up of just two drunks and a serving girl.  Rakia rubbed her hand over Jonathan's chin.  "You must have been frightened!" she exclaimed in her rich accent, intent on his story of valor.

"Oh, yes.  Frightened, my dear, but unwilling to back down."  He took a drink and nodded seriously.  "So, I stood my ground as Mr. Nicky entered the pub with his fists bared.  A mean ogre of a man he was too.  He pointed right at me and said, 'You're the one that's been seen wit my girrrrl'," he drawled in imitation.  Rakia laughed.  Jonathan pinched her thigh and winked.  "Brutish fellow.  Big and mean, stupid as could be.  So I asked him 'To whom are you referring?'  and he growled an almost unintelligible, 'Sophie'.  I had been courting this rather charming bird named Sophie Mantero.  I honestly didn't know she was seeing this ruffian."  Rakia frowned at this part of the story.  He smiled softly.  "Anyhow that's all over, Sweetie.  So I put up my fists and said, 'Look, I don't want to have to hurt you' and before I knew it he'd thrown a punch right square into my jaw."  He accented each word as to build the suspense.

Rakia gasped.  "Oh, no!  What did you do then?"

"Ah yes."  Jonathan smiled, tearing his eyes from her generous curvature.  "Well there was no standing for that.  So I drew back my fist," he said, acting out his adventure, "and I let him have it.  One blow took him right out.  Of course afterwards I told Sophie that it was all or nothing.  She chose nothing."  He shrugged and smiled.

Rakia grinned and clapped her hands.  "Oh, Jonatan, you so brave!  You did not need that terrible Sophie person."  She scowled at that.  "She obviously had no taste in men!  But you have me."  Her expression became that of honey and sunshine again.

Jonathan sighed in content as full lips pressed themselves firmly over his.  He didn't really notice the shadows looming above.  "Well!" she exclaimed.

He pulled away from Rakia to see Evy standing above, hands on hips and toe tapping.  "Um, Evy!  Fancy meeting you here.  Yes and O'Connell. Good."

Rakia blinked, her brows narrowed.  "Is this you wife?" she asked, standing.  "I do not like this person."

Evy's eyes widened.  "Well, I never!  My brother carrying on out in public and...and...this..." she sputtered, hands in the air.  Shaking her head, she moved to where the two drunken men sat, one asleep and the other one eyeing her.  "Get up," she commanded, using her purse to nudge the sleeping drunk.  "Get up, both of you."

"Mmm?" the sleeping man said, hustling to his feet as the other one pulled him away.  Rakia joined them.

Evy and Rick sat down.  "Have you been here all afternoon?" she asked, eyeing her brother.  "While you've been drinking we've been worried sick about Ardeth and hoping that the you weren't missing as well!"

Jonathan scratched his arm and answered, "No.  As a matter of fact I've been looking for O'Connell all day."  He eyed Rick.  "Just where have you been?  And what's this business about Ardeth being missing?"

Evy licked her lips slowly.  "I went to the museum and he was gone.  His office was a mess and there was blood on the floor and a knife.  Abdul has the authorities on it and I've sent a message to his people, but," she sighed.  "I just don't know what to do."

Jonathan looked at the table, then back to his sister.  "Sorry, Old Mum."  He gripped her hand, then looked to O'Connell.  "Hey, you know Ardeth. He'll likely come swooping in like the dark of night when we least expect him."  He gave her hand a little squeeze.

She nodded and patted his hand.  "That's what I'm hoping for, Jonathan.  In the meantime I'm not sure what to do."

Ordering a drink, Rick eyed her softly.  "I think the best thing to do while Ardeth's gone is to stick around and wait for him.  We have no idea where he is.  For all we know he wasn't kidnapped.  Perhaps he chased the guy from his office and has been seeing about wounds.  Or if his people were in trouble even, he may have rode off without telling us because there simply wasn't time.  Either way, it would be wise to just wait and let him come to us."  He took the glass handed him and downed a drink.

"You're right," Evy agreed, looking worn.  Rick wondered if she'd gotten any sleep at all.

"Hungry?" he asked her.

She shook her head, sipping the water that had been placed before her.  "No.  I had a small bite before the museum."  She smiled tiredly.  "What I'd really like is a nice relaxing bath."  Rick found her expression after that odd.  His raised eyebrow questioned.  Shrugging, she took another drink.  "I guess I could take one now.  I nearly fell asleep in the tub earlier is all."

Rick and Jonathan exchanged glanced.  "Perhaps you should go straight to bed, Evy," her brother suggested, Rick agreeing.

Evy inhaled deeply and yawned.  "Yes.  That does sound like a good idea.  What time is it?"

Rick looked at his watch.  "About seven.  Why don't we go back to the hotel and Jonathan and I can catch dinner there.  You can go straight to bed and I'll check on you later?"

She nodded.  "Yes.  That sounds good.  You will let me know straight away if anything about Ardeth is found?"

He stood and she followed.  Jonathan, on the other hand, was eyeing Rakia.  "Of course," he answered, following Jonathan's gaze.  "So, let's go."  He looked back at her and grinned at her heavenward glance.

"Hmm," Jonathan hummed.  He stood and faced them.  "You two go on ahead.  I'm gonna stick around.  I'll be back tonight and if not, well, just celebrate my happiness, will you?"  He smiled innocently.

"My brother.  Goodnight," Evy sighed, grabbing her handbag and moving towards the exit.

Rick shrugged, threw some money onto the table and joined her.  The dusky outside created shadows as they walked in the cooling Egyptian air.  He breathed it in, memories flooding back of the days behind him.  It felt strange being here again.  Eyeing her, he watched as she looked around - likely hoping to spot Ardeth.  Of course that didn't happen.  "You're okay, right?" he asked as they walked side by side.

She nodded slowly.  "Yes.  Just worried and tired.  I hope those dreams don't keep me awake tonight," she answered somberly.

"Yeah," he replied, looking down at the sand he treaded.  "Hey, I'm sorry about that stupid comment this morning.  You know, 'desert man'.  I shouldn't have said that."  He gave her a lopsided grin.

Evy laughed.  "Don't worry about it."

He rubbed at his neck, biting his lower lip.  There was a question on his lips.  "So, you uh, like Ardeth?" he ventured.

He winced at her pause.  "Oh, I don't know, Rick," she said, sounding frustrated.  "I...I barely know him after all."

Rick smiled.  "You barely knew me."

She nodded, meeting his eyes.  "That's very true."

"And that worries you."  It wasn't exactly a question.  "It doesn't have to be the same way, you know.  If that's all that holding you back."

They walked on in silence for a few moments before she finally answered.  "What if it's all those silly dreams?"  At his expression, she added, "We sort of left out that we were lovers in our dreams."

He shrugged slowly.  "You don't have to keep things from me because you think it'll bother me.  I don't wanna be the "ex" in your life.  I wanna be the "good friend".  And so what if it's some dream that inspires you to do something you want?  Isn't that what life's all about?  Making dreams come true?"  He smiled inwardly at himself.  Just what had been in that drink, anyhow?

"I suppose," were her next words.  "But I don't think they mean literal dreams."  She smiled, then exhaled.  "I suppose you could have something at that, though.  I just don't know what I want.  I don't even know what he wants."  Her hand absently touched her lips.

"He kissed you?" Rick asked, half smile returned.  She nodded.  "Well, that means two things, Evy.  He has some sort of feelings for you or it better not be the second one."  He pulled his gun out and aimed ahead.  "Better find out which before I have to waste my bullets on some mummy."

Evy giggled and shook her head.  "Men and their guns.  I believe you like shooting things up."

"Oh yeah," he said, grinning.  He holstered his gun.  "Nothing like shooting."  

They stopped before the hotel.  "You coming in?" she asked, looking up at the dark sky and then back to him.

"Actually, I thought I'd go find some dinner.  I'll try not to be long and when I get back I'll look in and make sure you're asleep and not having bad dreams.  Sound good?"  He waited.

"All right," she replied, drawing her light jacket around her.  "Here's hoping I'll be asleep.  Don't forget.  The minute you hear about Ardeth..."

He nodded, walking backwards.  "The very second, Evy.  Sleep well."

"Thank you."  She turned and entered, stopping at the front desk to inform them she was waiting for information and that any visitor was permitted entry.  As she moved up the stairs, she grew more and more fond of the idea of stretching out in her bed and falling blessedly asleep.  She entered her room and leaned against the door after closing it.  Sighing as she pushed herself up, she removed her cotton coat and went straight into her room.  A part of her had hoped she'd see Ardeth when she opened that door.  Laying the jacket onto a chair, she climbed onto the bed and laid immediately down, not wanting to fool with night clothing.  She'd change in a few minutes.  Or so she had hoped.  It only took a few moments for her to fall completely asleep.

**

He listened as the door slowly creaked open.  His eyes were trained now on the door, watching like a hawk.  Ardeth could see the outline of two figures approaching against the night outside.  As his eyes grew used to the moonlight now pouring in, he could make out their faces.  One he did not know, but the other was the Betrayer.  "Well, I see Imhotep paid you a visit," he sneered.  He crouched before Ardeth.  "Left you in a nice bloody mess."  Ardeth refused to speak.  He simply listened, never breaking eye contact.  The Betrayer stood.

"Where is this Imhotep?" his companion asked harshly.  "What's he going to pay me to do?"  Eyes glanced down at Ardeth, eyes that would just assume see him dead as alive.  "If he's wanting me to kill your friend down there, fine, but it's going to cost him."

Betrayer grinned darkly.  This man had no idea what he was in for.  "Don't worry.  He'll be here shortly.  And he can pay."

Ardeth watched as they walked on to the other side of the shadowy barn, speaking in hushed tones.  He breathed the cool air in, thankful that the throbbing in his head was nearly gone.  Still, he could stand a good night's rest in a soft bed as opposed to this hard floor.  Bracing against the post he pulled himself up into a sitting position, able now to tolerate the pain in his shoulder.  His leg he wasn't so sure about.  Now able to actually take in the damage done, he looked down.  His tan pants were dusty and covered in blood and he knew without doubt that his white shirt would mirror the red stains on the left side.  Then something caught his eye.  There at the doorway was another figure with long flowing robes and a hood.  The creature walked in with the grace and stance of a king.  He stood over Ardeth and looked to his now two servants.  "Rameses," he called.  To Ardeth's astonishment Betrayer turned.

Rameses motioned his cohort along.  "Nassir, this is Lord Imhotep.  He is who sought you."  He then turned to Imhotep and bowed his head, speaking in the ancient tongue.  "My Lord."

Imhotep returned his reverent nod.  "This is the man you have brought me?" he asked, eyeing Nassir.  "He is strong in appearance."

"Yes, Imhotep.  He is strong and greedy.  He should complete your work nicely."  Rameses turned to the man.  "Lord Imhotep doesn't speak our languages.  I will have to translate his wishes."

Nassir nodded.  "I've never heard words like those.  What does he want of me?  How much will be pay?"  He watched Imhotep warily.

Rameses translated the man's questions.  Imhotep smiled his cold characteristic smile and watched Nassir watching him.  "He is to bring my guest to where I am.  I will guide him there.  He will wait one hour and leave by horse into the desert."  Imhotep held out some golden trinkets and coins. "Where I am, so will his payment be."  Deadly intent showed through those dark eyes as he stared Nassir down.

Rameses nodded.  "Nassir, you will wait one hour from now and then take this man into the desert.  Don't worry about where you are going.  You'll know where to go when you get there.  He said he would meet you there, with your reward."  He suddenly turned to Imhotep.  "What of the Med-Jai?"

Nassir backed off.  "Med-Jai?  I've heard tales, but they aren't real are they?  If there's Med-Jai out there I won't do this!"

Imhotep slowly started for the man backing away.  Rameses shook his head.  "The Med-Jai out there are no more than petty thugs that stole the name they bear. There are no real bodyguards of Pharaoh still hunting in the desert."  He shot Ardeth a smile.

Making the meaning of his words apparent in his demeanor, Imhotep advanced on Nassir.  "You will do this task or I will hunt you to the ends of the earth and destroy you."

"Do you really wanna know what he said?" Betrayer asked, grinning.

Nassir swallowed and nodded.  "I'll do it."

Imhotep turned immediately and stood above Ardeth once more, motioning to him.  "Bind his wounds.  Make him fit for travel.  No harm is to come to him."  He cocked his head and looked down, kicking Ardeth's sore leg half heartedly.  "I'm going to mask you and your guardian from all eyes.  No one will see you or hear you call."

Ardeth took the initiative to kick the priest in turn.  "You will not succeed."  He had faith in that statement.  He could see Imhotep was weak even now.

Imhotep stepped back and laughed.  "Foolish," he commented, leaving the barn without another word.

Rameses grabbed a blanket from a cabinet nearby and ripped a strip off.  Crouching before Ardeth, he said, "I'd think twice about giving me trouble." Ardeth turned his head and looked out at the stars.  He couldn't speak with him.  Wouldn't.  Rameses laughed and bent Ardeth's knee, wrapping the strip of cloth tightly around his injury.  Tying it off, he paused before ripping off another two strips.  "If my betrayal surprises you now, well.  Just wait.  You'll see."  He chuckled to himself as he began wrapping the cloth over Ardeth's left shoulder and under his right arm.  "I'd clean these, but I just don't well, care really.  You'll live."  Rameses patted him roughly on the shoulder making him wince.  "I suggest you rest now.  You'll be taking a trip in a while."

Ardeth eyed him finally, letting his anger pour through dark eyes.  Betrayer was true to his word.  He didn't care.  Standing, he moved away with Nassir, talking of how to transport the injured Med-Jai.  He was right though.  Ardeth knew he should take this opportunity to rest before leaving. He would need all his strength at Hamunaptra.

**

Imhotep was formless when he retreated from the flimsy and weak form he projected to the barn.  When Nefertiri had brought him back from the dead before it had given him strength even in his second death, strength that could afford him the ability to reach Cairo with his image, but it wasn't easy.  And he had another task to perform tonight.  The process so far had been slow, but tonight he could finally bring to fruition the spell he'd been weaving over Nefertiri.  It would take all of his strength until he arose again, but he was certain he could hold it long enough.

It was definitely less effort to reach someone's dreams than it was to actually stand before them.  He traveled to where she was, asleep in her bed in what was once his beloved Thebes.  It would be easy.

**

She stood there in her own clothes but immediately saw that the setting was an ancient palace.  Evelyn frowned, looking at her surroundings. "Where..." she said to herself, turning around and looking.  A royal apartment.  And from the shadows he stepped forth.  "Ardeth," she exclaimed, running to him and hugging him.  "I've been so worried."

He laughed and placed his hand on her cheek.  "I'm all right.  I've missed you."  He bent down, pressing his lips against hers.  "I've wanted you." His eyes gleamed as the light shone in them.

She pulled back breathless, finding her hand clutching his shirt.  "Ardeth."  Evy pulled him back to her, closing her eyes and igniting the kiss this time.  She was aware of walking backwards, aware of him pressing his body against hers until they fell together onto a bed.  Her skin flushed as he moved to lay on her.  His lips and tongue were an all consuming fire as he kissed her and moved to her neck, his hands reaching for places she wanted him to find.  He was ardent and passionate, almost...forceful.  It wasn't unpleasant but she found it strange.  When she opened her eyes, she gasped, trying to push him off. "No!" She pleaded as Imhotep hushed her cries with his kiss.  "Please, don't do this," she whimpered when he pulled away, his hands still on her.

He laid beside her and touched her face.  "And why should I not enjoy that which is mine?"  Imhotep sat up, watching her possessively.  "What if I wish to sample this delicacy that your Med-Jai risked his life to enjoy?"  He then stood, back turned to where she lay.  "All in time."

She sat up, shaking and holding her arms to her chest protectively.  She felt helpless and frightened now, shaken.  "All in time?"

He turned back, his dark eyes ablaze in anger as he leaned over her, his hands resting on either side of her.  "All in time," was his reply as he gazed at her darkly.  His eyes traveled to her lips before he forced his kiss upon her again.  She was grateful when he let her breathe again.  "You will come to me this night."

Evy pushed him back, rushing to her feet and backing off.  She had to stay strong.  "I won't.  You don't scare me.  You're in Hell where you belong!"

Imhotep laughed and stood straight, his eyes cold and menacing.  "Then you will come to the gates of Hell."  He closed his eyes and began chanting.

When she realized the words he was saying she screamed, "No!"  She tried hitting him, pushing him, kissing him even.  Nothing stopped his chanting. Nothing could wake her.  "My God," she whispered, trying to think.  Evy simply couldn't stop what was going on.  When his chant was complete she could barely move.  She was hazy.

**

Her eyes fluttered open and she pushed herself up, driven by a compulsion to leave despite her weariness.  Evelyn climbed from her bed and walked from the room, achieving that eerily quiet walk she'd tried at the beginning of the week.  She was still alone, she noted apathetically.  It didn't matter.  No one could stop her.  She had to get to the desert.  She had to return to Hamunaptra.

She walked through the halls and down the stairs, intently focussed on the task at hand.  Hamunaptra.  She would do anything she must to get there.  "Hello, Miss Carnahan," said the clerk at the front desk.  "Do you need something?"

"The desert," she answered in a flat tone, devoid of feeling, of thought.  She said nothing else as she left the hotel and walked out into the night. Images of the sands near Hamunaptra filled her mind, beckoning in sweet and lulling tones for her to come.

Evy walked not of her own volition.  She of course would consciously have had to plan going to Hamunaptra, but somehow tonight she knew where to go and what to do.  Her walk took her about fifteen minutes and brought her close to the outskirts of town.  In the shadows and darkness she pushed open a large wooden gate and followed the path that lay ahead in the darkened yard, instinctively knowing the way.

Coming to a fence where two horses were tied she stopped for a moment and shook, her compulsion to reach the desert so strong.  But this wasn't the way.  She wasn't to steal this horse, though she desperately wanted to.  "Excuse me!" a voice called.  "What do you think you're doing?"

Evy turned and stared the man down, her eyes hungry and intent.  "You are going to the desert.  I must go with you."

He shook his head.  "Look, Lady.  I don't know where you got that idea but..."

"Stop!" she commanded, her voice and whole body shaking.  "You will take me to him.  You will take me to Imhotep."

Watching her for a moment, he considered and muttered a curse.  "This is getting worse every minute.  Carting around some fool woman."  He turned and pushed open the barn doors.  "Name's Nassir.  I suppose that fool that calls himself 'Rameses' sent you?"

Evy cocked her head.  "Imhotep calls for me.  You will take me to him."

Nassir scratched his head and grunted.  "Yeah, sure.  I'll take you to him.  He's all yours."  He looked at his wrist.  "We're leaving in another twenty minutes. You can ride with the beast.  At least I don't have to steer his horse now."  He shook his head and entered the barn.

Evelyn didn't care who this 'beast' Nassir was referring to or why Nassir had to see Imhotep.  All she could think of was the pull on her.  Her skin ached and itched as each second passed.  Rubbing her thumbs against her fingers nervously, she made her way into the barn and stopped, staring.

"Evelyn?!" he said, surprised.  She gazed at Ardeth in detachment, vaguely aware that there was something wrong with this.  Something wrong with his being tied down, bloody and bruised.  She should care, but she didn't.  Still, she watched him.  "Evelyn," he carefully ventured.  "Where is O'Connell?"

She wavered on her feet for a moment, then turned to Nassir, hissing, "We must leave now!"

Examining his nails and leaning against the wall, he narrowed his brows.  "We'll leave in twenty minutes.  Your Imhotep commands it."

Evy dropped to her knees and sat, staring at Ardeth and trying to stop herself from killing Nassir where he stood.  "Imhotep commands it," she repeated, assuring herself.  She would reach Hamunaptra.

She didn't hear Ardeth's sigh.  Didn't hear him say, "Oh, Evy."