Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter Seven - All Will Answer When Imhotep Calls
Rating:  PG13
Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/ninthsaturn
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.

My sincere condolences to those who suffered in last week's tragedy, and my prayers for America and our president.  May God guide him and protect him, and may God heal the broken hearts.

**

Ardeth winced as Nassir shoved him onto the saddle of a dark horse and looped his chains over the horse's neck, making him lay against it's neck as he tightened the shackles.  Thankfully Nassir wasn't interested in abuse.  Ardeth got a bit stronger as each hour passed.  "Right," Nassir muttered, taking a rope and wrapping it both around his waist and around the horse's front.  "Can't have you flipping off there."  Ardeth remained quiet.  "You're a talkative one, aren't you?  I can't help but wonder what you did that made that Imhotep so angry."

"I stopped him from harming innocent people," Ardeth replied in low tones.  "He may succeed this time if you allow it."

Nassir laughed as he tightened the ropes around him.  "If you think I'm going to set you free out of some concern for 'innocent lives' you can forget it.  I have a job to do and I fully intend on keeping my half of the bargain."

It was Ardeth's turn to laugh, mirthless and cold.  "And what do you believe Imhotep's half of this bargain to be?  You will end up dead before the end of this."

Nassir quickly developed a taste for brutality at that.  He nodded his head and back-handed Ardeth, saying, "I liked you better when you were quiet."  Stepping away, he laughed, tending his own horse.  Ardeth rested against the horse he was on, closing his eyes against the soreness in his shoulders.  He could hear Evy coming from the barn now, her steps faltering but gaining strength.  Her compulsion to reach Imhotep was strong and any pause in their trip would worsen her condition.  The creature was more power this time than before.  Suddenly there was a hand on his back and he opened her eyes to look at her.  "Fight him if you can, Evelyn."

She ignored his words and gripped his shirt, stuck her foot in the stirrup and mounted behind him.  In a mock embrace she leaned against him as she reached for the reigns.  His breath caught when she stayed against him.  Was she fighting?  Evy, you're strong.  You can fight him, he thought, praying she would remember herself.  "What are you doing?" Nassir asked, a small grin on his rough face.  "What, you want that beast as your play thing, woman?  He could probably use that."  He cackled a brutish laugh and eyed her suggestively.

Her warmth immediately left his back after that.  "Take me to Imhotep," she commanded in an eerily dead tone that didn't suit the woman he knew.

The mercenary nodded boredly.  "Right.  Imhotep.  Got it."  He urged his horse on towards the open gate.  "I almost forgot about that."

Evy rode on ahead of Nassir, guiding the poor fool to his death.  Ardeth frowned in frustration.  Could he not see that this situation wasn't some every day crime?  Of course Imhotep had a way with people.  A way of deceiving them into his will.  I should have stayed with her this morning, he rebuked himself.  He had known something was coming but allowed complacency to take him away when she would need him the most.  And now they were all in danger.  He sighed, looking out across the desert.  "Evelyn," he said softly.  "Why does Imhotep call you?"

She didn't answer right away, silent until he thought she was ignoring him.  "I will know when we get there."

"And if he calls you to your death?  Evy, remember he still wants revenge."  He waited for her to respond.  It didn't take long.  

She grasped his wounded shoulder hard and he closed his eyes against it.  "Do not question me again."  When he nodded and exhaled in pain, her grip eased dramatically.  "I..." she started.  He looked back as she struggled with herself.  Fight him, Evelyn!  She shook her head and spurred the horse on faster.

"We'll travel about four maybe five hours then take a rest," Nassir announced, riding up to their side.

Evy stared ahead.  Her hands were tightly wound around the reigns.  "We must reach Imhotep."

Nassir sighed in exasperation.  "Of course, but I don't know about you, woman, but horses need rest.  If we run them all night and all day tomorrow they'll likely die and then we'd have to walk to your precious Imhotep.  I gather you want to get there quickly?"  He rubbed his un-shaven face and dreaded her reply.

But she didn't argue.  Instead she merely said, "We leave at first light," and nudged her horse on.

"First light.  Understood."  He rolled his eyes and stared on ahead at the desert sands.

The rest of the trip was made in silence as the three of them pressed on.  Ardeth could feel Evy trembling behind him and knew that as sure as she and Nassir drove the horses, so Imhotep drove her.  Their rest would be painful for her, no doubt.  He would make his move then.

**

Rick stumbled into the room and immediately sought refuge on the couch.  He groaned, wondering why he did these things to himself.  "Curse you, Jack Daniels," he yelled with a giggle.  "You and you're whole lot!"  He winced as the door banged open a second time.  "So I did close it."  Sitting up, he peered at Jonathan.  "Where's that barmaid?" he asked with a leer.

Jonathan plopped down, his state no better.  "Ran off with some other bloke.  Where's Evy?"

Rubbing his temples, Rick glanced at her door.  "Asleep.  She went straight to bed when we came back."

Jonathan grinned and looked Rick over.  "Then you went out, I take it?"

The ex-Legionnaire leaned back and sighed, "Yeah.  Had some dinner.  Had some drinks.  What about you?  Did you spend all night at that bar?"  his tired eyes gazed ahead.

"Well, not all night," he replied with a laugh.  "You know it does feel good to be back at all the old places.  I didn't think I'd feel that way really. Thought I'd want to run screaming as soon as I got off the boat."  He too leaned back, crossing his arms.  "Of course if it wouldn't be too much to ask, I could do without the dreams and visions and missing people."

"Yeah," Rick agreed sullenly.  "No doubt in my mind."  He glanced out the window at the moon that shone above.

Jonathan took a deep breath and ran his fingers through his hair.  "Where do you think Ardeth's gotten himself lost?"

At that Rick groaned and covered his face.  "I don't know," he sighed.  "He just better not have gone and gotten himself killed, that's all.  God, I really hate loose ends."  He smirked at Jonathan.  "You know he's probably going to show up tomorrow with some perfectly logical reason as to why he had us worried all night."

With a grunt, Jonathan nodded.  "Yeah."  He winced in pain and rubbed at his head.  "Oooh, my head is killing me.  How can you stand this?  I really need to lay off."

Rick eyed him very seriously.  "Jonathan, okay what you just said scared me a little."

They both watched each other for a few moments, the air so tense you could cut it...and then laughed together.  "Foolish idea," Jonathan snickered.

Nodding, Rick clapped his friend on the shoulder.  "Had me worried there."  He yawned and asked, "Wanna play cards?"

Catching his yawn, Jonathan sat up and nodded.  "Why not?  The night is young."

Rick fished through his bag, looking for this deck.  "The young night is about two hours from passing away into day."  He paused a moment, tossed the deck at Jonathan who deftly caught it and grinned.  "I'm pretty poetic when I'm drunk."  He threw his bag and turned.

"Ooh, yeees," Jonathan agreed, shuffling the cards.  "What could be so sweet as to knock you off your feet?  Hush, I say, listen to the sounds of drunkenness."  He giggled and looked up.

Rick eyed him, amused.  "Riiiight," he drawled with a smirk.  "Pass out those cards."

**

The first thing Evy became aware of when she was awakened was an arm over her face, blocking her lips.  He dragged her away from the campsite as quietly as he could and she struggled against him.  She tried to push her way through his arms but stopped short, his chain blocking her.  He pulled her falteringly, his weakness sending him off balance and resulting in them collapsing to the sand onto their knees.  She tried pushing his arms above her head so she could duck under and escape, but he held firm and moved down to wrap around her arms.

He managed to stand her up and started away again.  "Let go of me," she hissed in low tones, unable to control the hunger in her voice, the hunger for the desert and for Imhotep.  She moaned as a wave of compulsion swept over her.

"No," he replied simply, pulling her along and stumbling forward, pushing her and sending them both down to the sand again.  He threw his weight to her right, whirling her around as they fell so that she fell on top of him.  He groaned as they crashed to the earthen floor.  She could tell he was in pain still.

Ardeth held her to him and rolled over until they were laying on their sides.  With considerable effort he got them to their feet and resumed dragging her through the sand.  Shaking, she pulled away and said through gritted teeth, "Let...go...of...me."  She could feel Imhotep's pull on her strengthen with each moment that passed.  He didn't respond, intent on getting her away.  She tossed and pulled, throwing him off balance and sending them stumbling into a sand dune.  She trembled beneath him as he lay over her, breathless.  "Where will you take me without a horse?" she asked, catching her own breath.

He leaned down, his lips close to her ear and his hot breath on her neck.  "Where is the Evelyn I know?  The Evelyn I care for?" he whispered, sending chills down her.  "You know what Imhotep will do once we reach Hamunaptra, Evy.  He will have his revenge."  He groaned again, the fall causing him obvious pain.

When he slumped against her, resting, she closed her eyes.  "Please let me go," she whimpered.  Her whole body ached with the need to reach Hamunaptra.  Imhotep was tightening his iron fist around every scrap of will in her.

Ardeth steeled himself and rolled them over until she was laying above him.  He inhaled deeply.  "Fight him, Evy.  I can take you to my people until we figure this out.  I'll keep you safe there."

Looking up at the night stars, Evy bit her lip and drew her arm up.  He wouldn't expect her to actually hurt him she knew, so she pushed her arm back down rapidly, striking his side.  It only made him hug her tighter for a moment.  Taking advantage of his pain, she wrenched herself from his grip and got up, intent on going back to the camp.  "Evelyn," he said quietly and it made her stop.  She turned and hovered for a moment, uncertain what to do.  "Please."

Evy stood there in the sand, watching as he lay there.  His eyes were intently focussed on hers as if begging her strength to overwhelm Imhotep in the battle within her.  The spell was wavering.  She balled her fists, trying to fight him back, trying to not do what she could feel her body doing. But the dread priest was too strong.  Unable to fight the pull any longer she turned and ran back to the camp.  "Nassir!" she shouted, stopping short and kicking sand onto the sleeping mercenary.

He startled awake and sat up immediately.  "What?"  Rubbing his eyes, he looked around.  "Where's the so called Med-Jai?"  Nassir was on his feet in an instant.

Evy pointed over the sand.  Imhotep's compulsion made her breathless.  "Laying out there.  We must leave now!  I will not wait any longer!"  She crossed her arms over her chest and watched him.

"Yeah," he agreed grudgingly, pushing past her and running to where Ardeth lay.  Evy followed and watched from a distance.  "I thought you were too weak to try something like this," Nassir was saying as he kicked Ardeth's side, making him moan out in pain.

Evy turned her head and closed her eyes, wringing her hands impatiently.  "Stop tormenting him and let's leave!" she yelled angrily.  She turned her back to them and headed for the camp, covering her face with her hands.  Behind her Nassir grunted and pulled Ardeth to his feet and to the horses.  She kept her eyes down as he shoved Ardeth onto a horse and tied him down, didn't look up when he put out the fire and trudged to his horse.  All she could do was go to the brown mare she and Ardeth had been riding.  Once again she gripped his shirt to pull herself up, trying to avoid touching him as much as possible.

Nassir watched her, a thoughtful expression on his face.  "Are you okay, woman?  He didn't harm you?"

Evy stared ahead and ignored his questions.  "We must reach Imhotep," she said softly, spurring her horse into a gallop before he could comment. Images of Hamunaptra - it's inner chambers and ancient beauty - assailed her mind and lulled her back from the guilt of what she'd just done. Imhotep's sweet spell had wavered but he was quickly repairing the damage and reclaiming her strength to fight.  She absently laid a hand on Ardeth's back and thought, I'm so sorry, before her last ounce of will was ripped away and forgotten.

**

Ankhwa held her gently, rubbing her back as she talked.  Nefertiri was crying.  He hated to see her so upset.  "He told me that he knew of you and I.  That I had to say good-bye because he wouldn't be dishonored."  She pulled back and gazed with tears in her eyes.

He touched her cheek, so aware that he didn't know if he could live without her.  "Did he hit you?  Was he angry?"

She sniffed and crossed her arms, looking down.  "No.  He wasn't angry," she answered, her voice quivering each word.  "He was...sort of nice actually."  That seemed to anger her.

Ankhwa sighed.  "Nice enough to make you a good husband?"

Her moist eyes met his quickly.  "He's...I...I suppose."  She wiped her cheeks and turned her back to him.

Reaching out, he touched her shoulder gently, rubbing it and on down her back.  "I do love you, Nefertiri."  He closed his eyes, leaning against her and moving his lips close to her neck.  He needed to be close to her and knew she needed the same of him.  "More than you will ever know."

She let out a small whimper of a cry at that, turned and hugged into his arms.  "I'm so sorry," she whispered, adding, "Why must it be this way?"

He shook his head and held her, aching inside.  They had known it would come to this someday, but somehow it just never seemed real.  Those beautiful days had seemed immortal.  How could he let this happen to them?  His mind flickered back to the deadly idea he'd had before.  "My Love," he whispered, his lips right at her ear.  "It would be safer for you to stay and have Priest Imhotep as your husband.  To leave would be dangerous and we would be risking our very lives, but for you I would risk all."  He pulled back and placed his forehead onto hers, gazing into her eyes.  "What would you have us do?"

She licked her lips and looked down, grasping his hand that had found it's way to her hip.  Glancing out the balcony in her bedroom, she said gravely, "Take me away from here, Ankhwa."

Ankhwa looked around, almost making sure they were alone.  He then rubbed his hand around her neck and pulled her to him, kissing her.  "If that is what you wish."  Their lips met in another sweet kiss as his arms wrapped around her.  "We will leave within a few days when your father goes to Sumeria," he whispered, pulling her into him and breathing in her hair.  "Let Imhotep think you've said your farewell to me.  I will send word by a fellow Med-Jai I trust with my secrets."  His pulse raced with anticipation of what they were planning.  It frightened him that they could be found out.  Imhotep was reputed to be a kind man, but cunning and vengeful as well.  It would be left to him to decide on what happened to him. Nefertiri, he wasn't sure.  Seti wouldn't kill his daughter, Ankhwa was certain, but if Imhotep was allowed judgment...

He pushed these things out of his mind as her lips found his neck.  They would make it, they had to.  He gazed down at her as she pulled back, lulling him towards her with a sensual smile.  He followed her, trying to kiss her and smiling when she pulled away and stepped back just far enough from his reach.  Her eyes became serious then.  "I love you, Med-Jai" she said with not only her lips, but her dark eyes as well.  

He brushed the back of his fingers against her cheek and replied in low, husky tones, "And I you, Princess.  I will love you and protect you."  He pulled her to him and gazed over her shoulder.  "Forever."

**

Even with his eyes closed he could tell that the sun was shining cheerfully in through the window they had foolishly left uncovered.  He groaned when the door was knocked upon again.  It was very loud.  With a sigh Rick shuffled to his feet and stumbled to answer the persistent knocker.  He opened the door and focussed on the man before him.  "Hello.  I'm with the local authorities.  My name..."

Rick held up his hand.  "Wait.  I'm not who you're looking for."  He turned and yelled, "Oh, Jonathan!"  Wincing at his own shouting, he moved aside. "Come on in.  He'll be out and you can arrest him in a minute."

The inspector eyed Rick suspiciously and entered, standing.  He looked around the room.  From the other side a door creaked open.  "What is it, O'Connell?" he asked tiredly, yawning.  "Oh.  Hello.  Who is this?"

Rick sat down on his couch.  "Police.  He's here to arrest you I imagine."

Jonathan's eyes widened.  "Look, I don't know what people are saying but I can assure you it wasn't..." he tried to say.

Holding up forestalling hands, the inspector cut him off impatiently.  "I'm not here to make any arrests.  Look, all I came to do was give you a message for the woman Evelyn Carnahan."

"I'm her bother," Jonathan then said, visibly relieved.

The inspector nodded.  "Okay.  When you see her please tell her that we haven't found Mr. Bay yet, but we have a few leads.  Tell her that circumstances point to it being someone he trusted that was able to enter and overcome him.  We also found a few foot prints out behind the museum.  We're still doing all we can to find him.  Can you two manage that?"  He sniffed, heading towards the door.

"Right," Rick said.  "Will do."  He looked up at Jonathan.

"Good," the inspector said as he opened the door.  "If she wants details, tell her to come on to the office.  Otherwise try and keep her from worrying too much.  We're doing all that can be done."

Both Jonathan and Rick groaned when he shut the door hard.  Letting out a long breath of air, Jonathan sat down.  "So he was taken out by a friend."  His eyes wandered to Rick.

It took a moment, but he noticed.  "What?" he asked, his brow furrowed.  "What are you looking at me for?"

The man across from him rubbed his neck and shrugged.  "I thought maybe...I mean you did disappear yesterday..."

Headache forgotten, Rick turned to Evy's brother and said, "And what?  You think I went and did something to Ardeth?  Yeah well from my point of view you were the one that disappeared yesterday.  Maybe you did it!"  He threw himself back against the couch and groaned as his head spun a little.

Jonathan looked incredulous.  "Me?  Look, Ardeth is a strong fellow.  Not that I couldn't take him really, but why would I?"

"Why would I?" Rick countered, arms crossed.

"Well," Jonathan started, sighing.  "I thought maybe you may have been jealous."

He rolled his eyes at that.  "What?  Jealous?"  Rick grunted.  "Yeah.  So jealous I beat the hell out of him and dragged him away."

"Sorry, Old Chap.  I didn't really mean it anyway.  It was just a thought."  He waited.  "Come on, Rick.  Don't be angry.  I don't really think you did it."  He bent down and smiled.  "Ricky?  Good pal?"

Rick gave him a dirty look and said, "Don't call me Ricky and go wake your sister."

"Right," Jonathan agreed, standing and heading for her door.  He opened it slowly.  "Evy?"  Looking back at Rick, he shrugged.  "Not in bed.  Evy?"  Pushing the door open completely revealed an empty room.  Rick stood and joined Jonathan as they went for the bathroom.  Jonathan knocked.  "Old Mum, are you in there?"  No reply.

Rick shrugged.  "Go in there."

Jonathan's eyes widened.  "What, in there?!  Absolutely not!  What if she's ah...busy?"

"Be an adult, Jonathan," Rick said, grasping the handle.  "She'd probably appreciate me barging in there less than you."  As he pushed the door open slowly they both braced themselves in anticipation of her angered shout.  It never came.  Rick pushed it completely back and they stared at the empty room.  Rick muttered a curse.

"Maybe she went to the museum?" Jonathan suggested, looking back out into the bedroom.  "Maybe breakfast?"

The American bit his lip in thought.  He then looked up.  "That investigator told you to tell her those case updates 'when you see her'.  As if he already knew she wasn't here."

"Yes," Jonathan agreed.  His eyes brightened.  "Maybe the front desk knows something!"

Rick nodded and they both headed out and to the front of their adjoining room.  "Wait," Rick suddenly said, placing his hand on Jonathan's shoulder.

"What is it?" he asked, trying to hear what Rick might have stopped them for.  "What?"

Rick turned.  "We can't go out there like this."  He motioned to their night clothes.

Jonathan rolled his eyes and swallowed.  "Good point."  He rushed to his room.

Rick pulled out some clothes from his bag, not caring what fell onto the floor.  "All these things I get myself into," he grumbled, taking his shirt off and replacing it.  "First Ardeth.  Then Evy.  Next is Jonathan."  He yanked his pajama bottoms off and tossed them.  "Just once.  Just once!  But noooo."  He started pulling his pants up, struggling in his hung over state.  "Whoa..whoaa."  He crashed to the floor, his pants around his knees.

As if matters couldn't be worse, Jonathan rushed out at that moment.  "O'Connell?" he called.  "I thought I heard...oh."  He giggled at the heap of Rick on the floor.  "What a charming side of you."

Rick staggered to his feet and pointed.  "Just shut up, okay?"  Pulling his pants up he muttered, "Not like you haven't made a fool out of yourself before.  Let's go."

They rushed from the hotel room and down the stairs, right to the front desk.  "May I help you?" Idshen said, scowling slightly at the appearance of Rick.  "Quickly!  My shift is almost over."

Jonathan stepped up.  "We were actually wondering if you happened to know where my sister disappeared to.  She neglected to tell us when she headed out."

The clerk yawned and pointed to the door.  "She left last night.  Muttered something about the desert.  Is she okay?  She acted strangely."

Rick and Jonathan exchanged glances.  "Thanks, Id," Rick said, drawing Jonathan aside.  "Desert.  Hamunaptra?"

Jonathan groaned.  "No.  Not there.  Please."

Chewing the inside of his cheek, Rick thought.  "I don't like it any more than you but what if she did go there?"  He looked as the main doors opened.  "What else would she have been talking about if she were saying something about the desert?"

"I don't know," he said firmly.  "But I do think we should just do what you said and stay here until something turns up."

Rick shook his head.  "I'm not waiting around until one of our friends turns up dead.  We have a lead this time.  I say we follow it."  He headed for the stairs to get his things.

Jonathan followed.  "I just don't think that's a good idea, Rick."

Turning, Rihe sighed.  "Look, Jonathan you can stay here if you want to.  I'll manage.  But I'm going out there to see if I can find them.  So, what will it be?  Staying?  Coming?"

Jonathan watched the ex-Legionnaire and then exhaled.  "I'm coming."  Rick nodded and they headed upstairs.  "Where are we going to go?"  They entered the room moments later and Rick crouched by his bag, gathering his guns and fishing through the pockets of a pair of pants.

"I think the first thing we should do is see if our buddy Ardeth has a car."  He looked around.  "I'm not going by camel again."

"How do you know where he lives?  Even if he does have a car, how are you going to drive it?" Jonathan asked.

Smiling, Rick pulled a small ring with two keys on it from the pants.  He held them up and jiggled them.  "Ardeth's," he answered.

Jonathan bent over, looking at them.  "Where'd you get those?"

At this Rick grinned.  "Me and Evy broke into his house the other day.  She guessed he was living in his father's old house and well, we took a chance when no one answered our knock.  I found these on his desk."  He shouldered his gun pack and stood.  "There was a garage, but we didn't think to look inside it.  Ready?"

He nodded, clapping Rick on the shoulder and smiling.  "You are a man of many resources, Old Chap.  Lead the way."

Getting to Ardeth's house in the crowded streets was a chore, but they made it.  Rick got the keys out, conscious that a lady in the next yard was watching.  He turned and looked at her.  She turned her gaze back to the garden she was watering.  He shrugged and continued.  A minute later he could feel her eyes on he and Jonathan again.  He turned and this time smiled big.  "Hey, Neighbor," he said, waving.

Her eyes widened and she turned back to her garden once more.

Rick shook his head and said, "Let's go to the garage."

"Right," Jonathan agreed, squinting in the sunlight.  

Rick moved back through the yard.  Grabbing the lock on the garage's large doors, he tried both keys.  "Bingo," he muttered as the lock opened.  He handed Jonathan the keys and opened the door.  Rick whistled.  "Look at that."

Jonathan looked at the car appreciatively.  "I say.  Ardeth's got some good taste."  The maroon car was a beautiful.

Shaking his head, Rick motioned for the keys.  Jonathan gave them back.  "No.  This was probably his dad's.  The curator lived here in the city to make sure little was found out about Hamunaptra.  I bet Ardeth hasn't even driven this thing."  He unlocked the door and got in, turning the ignition.  "At least it started," he called out the window, motioning Jonathan to the side.  Jonathan moved and Rick eased the car out onto the drive.  Taking one of the keys from the ring, he handed it out the window.  "Go lock the garage, will you?"  

"Will do," Jonathan said, taking the key and moving behind the car.  When he finished he got in the passenger side.  "Now where?"

Rick looked ahead, slowly driving out until he was onto the street.  "I thought we'd get some food and water supplies.  It's going to take us at least two days to get out there.  And we'll need some gas."

**

Ardeth gazed out over the desert hills and flowing sands as they rode along.  At least he was home.  They'd rode from near first light and continued on as the noon sun beat down on them.  He rested against the horse as they pressed on, saving his strength as he could.  He was hungry though. And thirsty.  Nassir seemed to share his feelings.  The mercenary took out a canteen and drank from it.  "Do you want a drink, woman?" he asked, holding it out.

"No," Evelyn replied in that same dead tone that she'd been using whenever anyone questioned her.

Nassir pulled his horse a little closer and nudged Ardeth's leg with his foot.  "And you?  Thirsty?"

Ardeth turned his head and gazed at the canteen.  "Yes," he answered simply, unsure as to whether this man was playing with him.

He didn't laugh though.  Instead he moved his eyes to Evy, thrusting the water out again.  "Give him some."  She hesitated.  Nassir sighed deeply. "Imhotep wants him alive and well when we get to where ever we're going.  You'd best give him some before he dehydrates.  You should drink some too.  I have more water in my sack."

Evy ripped the water from his hand and opened the end.  Any small thing that broke from her concentration seemed like a delay to her.  She was nervous acting.  "Here," she murmured, pushing the canteen to Ardeth's lips and tipping it back slightly.

Ardeth drank all she offered.  "Thank you, Evelyn," he told her when she pulled it away, making sure to use her name in the hopes it would continuously bring to her mind who she was.  She didn't answer, taking a long drink herself and handing it back to Nassir.

Nassir drank again and then shoved it back into his pack.  He eyed a small oasis they were approaching.  "We need to water the horses.  I suggest we eat something as well.  How far away is Imhotep?  He can't be too far ahead of us."  He stopped near the pond.

"We will reach Imhotep by nightfall tomorrow," Evy replied, almost throwing herself from her horse.  She grabbed the reigns and led the mare to the water's edge.

Ardeth watched as Nassir dismounted and opened his pack before sliding his gaze to Evy.  Even as she stood there looking out across the oasis he could see her tremble.  "How are you feeling?" he asked her gently, shifting uncomfortably on the horse.

She didn't turn to look at him.  "Why must you always speak to me?"

"Because I want you to fight him."  He refrained from looking her over too much.  He was losing himself to his dreams.  "I know he is strong."

She didn't reply to that, merely gazed out ahead.  Dropping the reigns, she walked past and left him alone with his thoughts.  He exhaled and licked his lips.  He would try again at Hamunaptra, would do everything in his power to save her from Imhotep once more.  Suddenly Nassir was before him, untying his bonds and freeing his constant hug on the horse's neck.  Ardeth groaned as his 'guardian' helped him from the horse and called, "Woman!"

"What is it?" Evy said testily, sounding more like herself in that than she'd sounded since they began this trip.  Ardeth fought the urge to grin.

Nassir pointed.  "Have a look at his wounds while I make us something to eat.  If he tries anything, call."  He looked at Ardeth.  "I don't want to hurt you."

Ardeth nodded his agreement to not cause any trouble and looked to Evy when the mercenary left them alone.  "Come here," she ordered, grabbing his chain and leading him to sit by the water.  He followed her and sat with her, watching as she pulled back his shirt and untied the cloth around his shoulder.  He breathed deeply as she removed it.  She then gripped the bottom of his shirt and ripped a clean portion off.  Dipping it in the cool water, she pushed it into his hand.  "You can wash yourself."

He nodded, rubbing the cloth over his wounded shoulder, cleaning away the two day old blood that had dried against his skin.  Ardeth frowned. Another scar for him to keep to remember Imhotep by.  That and his pained leg.  He'd managed to rip it open again in his struggle last night.  It had taken a considerable effort for him to push himself last night and he chided himself his failure.  Under her watchful eyes he dipped the cloth back into the water, leaving it on the sand underneath and moving his hands to untie the cloth around his thigh.  Letting it fall to the ground, he ripped the hole in his pants wider and looked at the blood that hid the true color of his skin.  It wasn't good, that was certain.  Evy looked at his leg curiously. "Who did this?" she asked him, taking the rag from the water and giving it back.

Ardeth gratefully took it and winced as he washed over the cut.  "Imhotep."  He looked at her, wondering what her reaction would be.  She simply continued looking.  Then her dark eyes slid up to meet his.  She seemed about to say something, then abruptly turned her head as riders approached the other side of the oasis.  Ardeth's breath caught in his chest.  Med-Jai.  He waited, watching as they allowed their horses to drink. Ahmed and Ali, his friends.  Evy too remained still, watching them as they tended their horses.  True to his warning, Imhotep had blinded the Med-Jai to them.  It was eerie, watching them and knowing that they couldn't see or hear him.  It was frustrating.  Nassir headed over by now, gun drawn and aimed.  Ardeth stood.  "No!" he hissed.  "They cannot see us!"

Nassir grunted, still aiming.  "Can't see us?  How could that be?  They're right there."  He seemed less than confident in his logic though, when the Med-Jai failed to acknowledge the fact they had a gun trained on them.

"Please," Ardeth said, approaching Nassir carefully.  "Imhotep blinds them.  To kill them will only draw more and then we might not escape."  He had no desire to see his friends shot dead like this.

Nassir turned, pointing his gun at Ardeth.  "Get back or I'll have to wound you somewhere else."  Ardeth eased back and watched as Nassir aimed once more at the oblivious Med-Jai.  He inhaled sharply as a shot rang out.  His eyes flashed in anger as he looked from Nassir and then to where his friends were.  They were both still standing.  His eyes questioned Nassir.  "I wanted to see if they would respond, so I missed."  He was shocked and pale, staring at the warriors across the pond.  Shaking his head, he turned and headed back to the small fire nearby.

Ardeth sat back down beside Evy and began washing his leg again, trying to hear what his friends were saying.  They were too far for him to glean much, but he did manage to catch that there was a search for him going on.  Keep your eyes on O'Connell and Carnahan, he thought to them, praying somehow they would think to.  Evy was in particular danger where Betrayer was concerned if she managed to escape Imhotep's grasp. Ardeth looked at her, watching her as she watched the Med-Jai cautiously.  Throwing the rag down into the water, conscious that once they left it may be visible to the Med-Jai, he picked up the cloth that tied around his shoulder.  He strained to get it just right and then sighed.  "Evy," he said quietly.  She looked up.  "Would you help me?  It hurts to lift my arm."

Her dark eyes widened, but with a nod she mumbled, "Fine."  Her soft fingers brushed against his chest as she took the cloth into her hands and began tying.  She exhaled deeply when she was finished and said, "All done," as she got up and went to Nassir.

He watched her go, knowing that this was hard on her.  She was torn between knowing what was right and doing what every fiber of her being was forcing her to do.  He sighed as the Med-Jai rode away.  It was a perfect opportunity for him to escape but he wouldn't leave her.  Imhotep had done well in getting them out here, that was certain.  But he would not succeed.  No, ultimately justice would be done and Imhotep would once again be placed in his grave.  Even if it required his own death, there was no other option in Ardeth's mind for the outcome.  Imhotep would fail. Tying off his leg, he stood and limped to where Nassir and Evy were.  His strength and resolve overcame the fatigue of riding and the pain of his injuries.  He sat down beside Evy and vowed within himself just as Ankhwa had that he would protect this woman with everything in him.  This time he wouldn't fail her.