Title:  Who We Once Were - Chapter Eight - Demon's Rage
Rating:  PG13
Warning: Angsty sexual situations ahead.  Heck, a lotta angst all over the place.  Hehe.  Um...don't kill me?

Author:  Nine - http://www.oocities.org/ninthsaturn
Summary:  Alternate universe where TMR didn't take place.  Evy's having strange dreams and returns to Egypt and runs into an old friend.

Again, THANK YOU to my reviewers.  You guys are so good to me!  :-)  Thanks!

**

Ardeth stirred in the saddle and awoke to the shadowy skies and cooling breeze of dusk.  He looked around at the surrounding desert and exhaled deeply.  They were almost there.  Licking his nearly dry lips, he shifted around.  His leg still hurt and his back ached from being in this position too long, but he'd push himself through.  He'd been through worse during his life and was true to his resolve to stop Imhotep once more.

His dreams had been troubling throughout the day.  Visions of battles and of Imhotep, of Evelyn fighting and dying, of his people dying.  Imhotep's future planned out, he was certain.  Ardeth wouldn't allow it to come to pass.  He would fight Imhotep to the death and more would follow if necessary.  

He closed his eyes.  Had his life been building to this moment, for such a time as this?  At his birth a prophet had told his parents that he was destined to do great things, to fight a mighty demon such as the world had never seen - Imhotep he now knew.  But what would happen once that destiny were fulfilled?  Would God call him home?  He ached at that thought.  Not that he feared death or what would happen afterwards, but he wanted more time here. Time to enjoy the simple things in all creation without having to battle the next day.  But he wasn't so sure he'd get that chance.  He hoped for it certainly, but just couldn't feel right or wrong about it either way.  

Allah give me strength to fight
, he prayed as he opened his eyes once more to gaze out at the dusty blue skies of imminent nightfall.  He shuddered at the all too familiar surroundings as they approached the site where Hamunaptra had sunk into the sand.  "How long until we reach Imhotep, woman?" Nassir growled from Ardeth's left.  He seemed edgy and fearful.

Ardeth more or less agreed.  There was an old saying among his people about the wind not blowing right.  This felt like one of those times.

Evy reigned the horse in to a stop and threw herself from the saddle.  "We are here," she announced, her voice still hungry and seeking.

"Here," the mercenary grunted sarcastically as he too dismounted and began untying Ardeth.  "Out in the middle of the desert.  What does she think, he's just going to come out from around some rock?"  He threw the rope onto the ground and eased Ardeth's arms over the horse's neck. Helping him down, he muttered, "Come," and pulled him by his chains.

Ardeth followed and looked out as Evelyn began walking out into the middle of the sand.  When she reached a certain point she stopped and dropped to her knees.  Nassir pushed him down to his knees and they waited.  "Imhotep speak through me," Evy finally said as her hands caressed the sand.

"No!" Ardeth shouted when her voice filled the air chanting the words that would awaken Imhotep, her hands no longer caressing but digging into the earth desperately.  He struggled as Nassir held to the chain between his wrists.  "No, Evelyn!"

Ardeth threw himself onto his back, pulling Nassir down onto him.  "I'm warning you," he growled, hitting at Ardeth as they wrestled in the sand.

"No," Ardeth countered, gripping his chain and flipping Nassir over.  "I'm warning you.  Imhotep is going to kill us all if you don't let me stop her!" Nassir wouldn't listen and kept struggling to overcome him, throwing a punch that made Ardeth double over in pain.  "You're letting him kill us," he hissed as Nassir pushed him onto his side and drew his fist back again.

Suddenly a great shaking stopped them both where they were.  Fist still in the air, Nassir turned his gaze towards Evy.  The wind picked up.  Ardeth sat up and looked.  The sand beneath her fingers was trembling and soon began to cave in.  "What is that?" Nassir asked in a fearful tone.

Ardeth stared on gravely.  "That is Imhotep."  His voice was just as dead as Evy's had been.  "He is awake."

Nassir cursed and stood up, unconcerned now with Ardeth.  He backed away, watching the sand under Evelyn as it sank.  Evy backed away on her knees and turned to look at them both.  She crawled to where Ardeth sat and covered her lips.  The spell had ended.  "My God.  What have I done?" Her eyes glowed in fear as she watched the sands.

Ardeth took her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze as he watched and waited.  "It could not be helped."  Why did it suddenly feel like they and Imhotep were the only ones left in the world?

Abruptly the shaking stopped.  The wait was over.  Evy cried out when a dark and gnarled hand suddenly popped up out of the desert floor.  Closing her eyes, she leaned against Ardeth and another hand joined the other onto the surface.  The sand began caving in again as Imhotep raised himself from the grounds of Hamunaptra.  

Nassir cursed again when the dread priest stood at full height, his eyeless face seeming to gaze between the three of them.  Ignoring Evy and Ardeth for the moment, he moved to stand before his now violently shaking servant.  He held out his hand filled with little gold charms, rings and coins.  Nassir looked down uncertainly, but worked up enough courage to take the payment that was being offered.  Imhotep nodded and then pointed to Evy.  "What?" Nassir said into the night air, forgetting that Imhotep didn't speak English or Arabic.  Imhotep pointed again more insistently and then motioned for Nassir to follow.  "O-okay."  Praying he wouldn't misunderstand and anger the creature, he moved to Evy and pulled her up as Imhotep turned and grasped the chain that shackled Ardeth's wrists.

"No," Evy fearfully moaned as Imhotep mercilessly drug him to the hole in the sand.  "Ardeth."  Nassir pushed her towards them.

Ardeth struggled as Imhotep picked him up,  clutched at the sands as he pulled him down through the hole and under the earth.  Nassir forced Evy to the edge.  "He's got to be kidding."

Evy didn't answer, simply swallowed and stared where Ardeth had disappeared.  "Oh...oh dear."  She looked up at Nassir who hesitated.  The sand below stirred and Imhotep's dead hand resurfaced, clasping around Evy's ankle and with a thud she hit the ground, screaming as Imhotep pulled her to the hole and down into the earth below.  She couldn't breathe or think as he drew her down, her eyes closed and her arms around the dead creature that dragged her.  Suddenly she was dropped to a hard surface as Imhotep scrambled back to the surface.  

Evy coughed and frantically wiped the sand from her face, half expecting the ground above her to cave in and bury them alive.  She opened her eyes when the realization hit that there was no danger of that.  The inner chambers of the City of the Dead had been preserved.  "Evy," Ardeth soothed, crouching where she sat on her knees.  He held out his hand.

She nodded and replied, "I'm all right," taking the hand gratefully as he helped her to stand.  She brushed the dust off her dress and looked up as Imhotep dragged a squirming Nassir down into the depths of what was left of Hamunaptra.  They fell to the floor and Imhotep immediately left Nassir behind.

Ardeth moved to stand in front of Evy when he approached.  His crumbling lips twisted into a hideous grin.  "Evelyn, get back," Ardeth warned. Imhotep gripped his shoulder, emitted a sound that could have been a laugh and yanked Ardeth roughly down the stairs to the large stone slab in the center of the room.  He fought to pull himself from the creature's grasp and again warned Evy back as she tried to fight Imhotep off.

Without regard to Ardeth's struggles or Evy's attacks, Imhotep locked Ardeth's chain into a cuff and then turned on Evy, taking her wrist and locking it into the other side.  Leaving them uncomfortably crouched, he turned his back and headed towards another chamber, motioning the shaky Nassir to join.  The mercenary glanced uncertainly between them and Imhotep, finally choosing to follow behind his dark employer.  Evy sank to her knees, her arm above her and sighed as Ardeth did the same.  "He's going to die now," he said gently as they both waited for the inevitable screams.

Evelyn nodded sullenly and looked down.  "I'm so sorry."  That was all she could say.

Ardeth shook his head, wanting to reach for her and touch her face, but his chains wouldn't allow it.  "No, Evelyn.  This is not your fault.  He put a spell on you.  You couldn't help what you did."  He tried to reassure her with his dark eyed gaze.

She searched his face sadly and nodded almost grudgingly.  "I hurt you."  Her eyes traveled from his where she'd squeezed his wounded shoulder to his side where she'd elbowed him when he was trying to kidnap her to safety.  She grimaced.

He smiled at her then.  "It's all right.  I understand why you did it."

Smiling softly herself, she exhaled and touched his shoulder with her free hand and caused him to wince a little.  "I should have a look at that when I can," she commented as naturally as if they were safe back in Cairo.

"Yes," he agreed, not taking his eyes from hers until the screaming began.  He turned his head for a moment, trying to see if he could see anything and when he turned back he was greeted with a troublesome sight as Evy sat there, eyes closed and trembling.  "Evelyn?"

She swallowed and opened her eyes again, trying to brush her fears aside with a smile.  "I'm fine.  I just can't believe..."  Evy bit her bottom lip and glanced towards the chamber Imhotep had left through.  "It's all happening again, Ardeth.  What if..."  She didn't continue.

Ardeth shook his head.  "I'll fight for you, Evelyn.  He will fail again as he failed before.  I won't let him hurt you."  He poured his promise out through soulful eyes.

Evy's lips broke into a genuine smile now.  She could see the promise there, the intent behind it.  "You've been so good to me," she told him, echoing what she'd said before.  Moving as far as her cuffed wrist would allow, she placed her lips over his in repayment for all he'd done for her, in sweet seeking and with the feelings that were developing inside her.

"Well," an ancient voice laughed in an ancient tongue.  Imhotep gazed down in amusement at them.  "I leave you for but a moment, my Nefertiri, and already you are found in the embrace of your lover."  The creature tsk'd.

Evy pulled away quickly and looked up.  Now fully regenerated, Imhotep loomed above them with an angered smirk.  She slit her eyes.  "I'm not your Nefertiri!"

Imhotep laughed and crouched, avoiding her hand easily as she tried to strike him.  Grabbing her free wrist, he smiled and touched her hair.  "You will always be my Nefertiri," he said softly, then changed his tone harshly as he ran his hand down her arm.  "In the past, in this life and in every life you will always be my Nefertiri."  Evy closed her eyes as his fingers traveled back up her arm and across her neck up to her lips.  "For now, My Love, you will sleep.  I have things I must attend to."  His eyes slid to Ardeth momentarily.

"No!" she shouted as he began chanting, his hand still on her cheek.  "No, please!"  She fought to keep her eyes open now, kicking at the dread priest and trying to get her hand back.  Inevitably though, the spell took over and she slumped.  

Imhotep lingered his hand on her face for a moment and then turned to the glaring Ardeth Bay.  "She will always be mine, Med-Jai," he growled as he freed Ardeth's chain from the cuff and pulled him to his feet.

"Your heart doesn't lie with this woman," Ardeth said through clenched teeth as he ripped away and took battle stance, fully prepared to fight this man to the death.  "Take these chains from me and face me fairly, Coward!"

Imhotep laughed at that, advancing with his sinister smile.  "Oh, but I do not wish to fight you, Med-Jai."  His tone was honey and spice in it's sarcastic humoring.  His hand darted for the chain and he pulled Ardeth to stone slab once more.  He pushed Ardeth down onto his stomach roughly and locked him back down.  "No.  I want to hurt you.  And my heart may lie dead," he nodded towards the shattered remains of Anck-su-namun that still covered the floor nearby, "but that will not stop me from taking what is rightfully mine."  He turned and disappeared into the room he had killed Nassir in, then returned with what looked like a horse whip.  "I killed you too quickly last time, Med-Jai.  I now realize the pleasure that could have been had in punishing you properly for daring to put your filthy hands on what belonged to me.  What I did not do before I will take great pains to enjoy now."  Imhotep's eyes were angered as he lifted the whip and brought it down on Ardeth's back in a loud crack.

Ardeth clenched his teeth and writhed against the slab, trying not to give in to the pain as the priest punished him for the sins of another lifetime. He could feel his shirt begin to rip as the hard rope struck his skin again and again.  A few times his voice gave way to the punishment, crying out and echoing through the chamber.  He was thankful Evy was asleep for this.

He was also fearfully aware that Imhotep could go on indefinitely without rest or water or food.  Such power could easily kill unintentionally as well as with purpose.  I will endure to the end, he told himself firmly, dizzy at the waves of pain that washed over him.  He would defeat Imhotep before this was over, he knew.  He had to.

**

Nefertiri lay there in her soft bed, waiting for her love.  Tonight they would run away.  Tonight would begin their freedom to love one another without fear and without restriction.  She snuggled down on her stomach and smiled, staring out onto the terrace at the beautiful tapestry of stars.  Everything was beautiful tonight.  It was exciting and scary almost, but so wonderful to know that they would be free.  Sighing, she thought of her lover.  This would not be so easy for him.  She wanted desperately to leave the pain of Egypt behind her and never look back, but what of him?  The Med-Jai were his friends and his family.  They would both betray their king and country tonight, but he would be betraying more.  She didn't care what Seti thought.  He had no care for her, never had.  He was a man of show and acting, not of feeling.  Nefertiri sighed again.

She could hear something rustling in the shadows towards the entrance to her bedroom and she smiled, knowing it to be her Med-Jai.  Footsteps closed in on her and a hand reached out to caress her back softly.  "Ankhwa," she answered the touching and she tried to raise up.  She was surprised when the soft hand pushed her back down to the bed and held her there.

Lips rested against her ear and his hand rubbed roughly now.  "So, my Promised, your lover was to come to you tonight?" Imhotep whispered.  She could smell wine on him and shook.

"My Lord," she stammered, panic running all through her body.  What could she say to him?  Ankhwa would come any moment and find Imhotep with her.  Her mood of beauty and joy was now ravaged by fear.

Imhotep turned her over and grabbed her wrists, pinning them down to the soft bed.  "If he comes here this night then he will die."  Those were his only words of warning before he shoved his lips onto hers, forcing his tongue into her mouth as she shook beneath him.

"No," she pleaded when he let up and moved to lay his full weight on her.  "Please, Imhotep."  He seemed almost pleased with her resistance.

His face lit only slightly by the soft light from her balcony, he gazed at her with eyes that told her of his deep hunger and his anger.  His hands searched her trembling body and she could do nothing but allow it to happen.  She belonged to him, no one could rightfully stop this from happening.  "You would deny me," he was saying as he moved his lips to her throat.  "I am your betrothed and you would deny me."  He began kissing her neck.  "I will show you what you deny yourself."

Her heart raced and she stared up at the ceiling, trying not to let her emotions overwhelm her.  Maybe if she laid here and let Imhotep do as he pleased he would leave before Ankhwa came for her.  She could only pray that was so as the priest's hand brushed over her hip and down her thigh.  Nefertiri swallowed and froze when she heard footsteps.  She could no longer fight the tears that had threatened to fall.  "Nefertiri?" Ankhwa questioned gently.  He couldn't see Imhotep yet, his eyes unused to the darkness of her room.  Imhotep covered her lips while he raised to stand.  Ankhwa wouldn't see the attack until it was too late.  

Suddenly the priest's hand left her mouth and she listened in horror as the two men hit the floor and struggled.  With no mind to whatever danger she may face, she rushed out and ripped a torch from the hallway wall.  Returning to her room she screamed as Imhotep wrestled Ankhwa's scimitar away and held it up.  As the blade pierced the skin and into his stomach, Nefertiri dropped the torch onto the floor and covered her lips as she stared at her lover.  Ankhwa gazed back at her, his eyes never leaving hers.  "Nef..."   He tried to speak but couldn't.

Imhotep stood and stepped back as Nefertiri fell to her knees at Ankhwa's side.  "Ankhwa," she whimpered, taking his hand and kissing it.  Tears streamed her cheeks as she watched him.  His eyes gazed lovingly into hers, a small reassuring smile on his lips.  And then they dulled.  She could only stare and cry, unbelief and shock coursing through her.  

What had started out as the beginning of a new life for her ended in tragedy and anguish and there would be no justice in this other than Imhotep's justice being done for her betrayal.  It was Imhotep's right to kill Ankhwa for their secret relationship, he was High Priest and going to be her husband.  Everything inside of her burned with anger and fear at that thought.  She felt sick suddenly and laid down on the floor, not able to think or care about anything at the moment.

She didn't even care that Imhotep had crouched down to pick her up.  Nefertiri closed her eyes, not wanting to see his face.  This wasn't real.  It couldn't be real.  She moaned as the realization of the past few minutes hit her again.  Her lover was dead and this man who would be her husband had ripped him away.  Leaning her head against the priest unconsciously, she opened her eyes and looked ahead as he carried her from her quarters and through the dim halls.  He stopped when they came to a guard.  "There is a Med-Jai dead in the Princess' room," he told him.  "He is guilty of a crime against me and I brought him to justice.  See that the room is cleaned by morning."

Nefertiri watched as the young Med-Jai's eyes hardened before Imhotep took her away and to where his rooms were.  She wiped her tears when he pulled back the sheets on his bed and laid her down.  Sitting on the edge of the bed beside her, he drew the covers over her and touched her cheek softly.  His eyes were set in conflicting emotions as he looked down on her.  All she could do was gaze back and wonder what she was going to do now.  What could she do?

Suddenly they weren't alone.  "Imhotep," Anck-su-namun said from the door.  "I came to apologize for my harsh words.  I..."  She gasped when her eyes hit Nefertiri.  Her voice hardened.  "I am sorry, High Priest.  I did not know you were occupied."

Nefertiri closed her eyes and curled up in his bed as he stood and joined Anck-su-namun.  His tone was unreadable as he said, "I am not occupied. Come and we will talk of matters elsewhere.  Nefertiri must sleep now."

She sank under the false safety of the covers, tears flooding her cheeks again as she listened to their voices fade.  Shaking, she held her eyes tightly shut and covered her mouth against the cries within.  She didn't want to believe this was true - that her beloved Ankhwa had met such an unexpected and horrible death. One moment he was there and the next he was gone.  If she'd only let herself live without him he wouldn't be lying dead now.  Guilt and anguish washed over her as she cried in the priest's bed.  So many ifs.  He was dead because of her unwillingness to let him go.  Her lips trembling and her body weak, she murmured, "Ardeth," before the new exhaustion and sadness made her sleep.

**

Rick frowned, standing outside the car and looking around in the darkness.  He was getting pretty frustrated.  "Well, Hamunaptra is somewhere out here," he muttered to Jonathan.  This just wasn't his week for things.

Jonathan peeked out the window and sighed.  "Maybe you should let me drive, Old Boy.  You're exhausted."  They had been driving long hours and the wear was starting to show on the ex-Legionairre.  He scooted to the driver's side.  

O'Connell shook his head.  Something was happening out here in the desert.  Something bad.  He could feel it.  "No.  It's  gotta be right around here somewhere.  I don't see a campfire anywhere, so I'm guessing Evy isn't out here at least."  He sighed deeply.

"What about that tomb you said she was on about?" her brother suggested as he got out and instinctively shielded his eyes from the moonlight to gain a better view.  "Maybe she went there."

"Yeah," Rick agreed half heartedly.  Something just didn't feel right.  He shivered as a cold breeze traveled across his skin.  "Or the Med-Jai if she could find them."

Carnahan knitted his brows, trying for the life of him to see whatever Rick kept searching for out on the dark plane of desert.  "Funny we haven't see any of those brutes."

He frowned in thought.  They should have been challenged by now.  "Yeah.  Yeah, that's weird.  Maybe they're consumed with finding Ardeth."  He shrugged, then paused when his ears caught something.  "Wait."  Rick almost held his breath in anticipation.  "Listen."  He strained to hear the faint whinny of horses in the near distance.  He peered south and barely made out the outline of two horses, standing alone in the desert.  "There.  Two horses.  Let's go."

Rick broke into a run before Jonathan could say anything.  "Great," he muttered, running after Rick.  

Quite suddenly Rick disappeared from sight with a strangled shout.

"Rick?" he yelled, picking up his pace and skidding to a halt in front of a hole in the ground.  He could make Rick out in the light below.  "Are you all right down there?" he called, crouching and trying not to smirk at the American's string of pained curses.

Rick groaned and rubbed his sore behind as he stood.  He smiled in mock humor when his eyes fell upon the hole's inhabitants.  "Not really," he answered, drawing his gun.  "Jonathan, I found Ardeth."

**

Evy moaned when she awakened and focussed on the wall across from where she sat.  She winced as she moved, her arm sore from being up so long.  The breath caught in her chest and her heart pounded from the dream she'd had.  She found it hard to not cry in the here and now for the pain Nefertiri had suffered at her lover's death.  Which reminded her.  Sitting up fully, she frantically searched for Ardeth.  Imhotep was right around the side of the slab she could see if she strained to lean far enough.  Her eyes widened when she heard Ardeth's groan of pain above her.  Opening her mouth to plead with the dread priest, she paused as something hit the ground up the stairs.  She twisted around when she heard her brother call, "Are you all right down there?"

The newcomer answered something about finding Ardeth and drew his gun on Imhotep.  "Rick!" she shouted, barely able to contain the joy in her voice.  He smiled when his eyes caught sight of her.  At that point Jonathan dropped down behind Rick and got to his feet, drawing his gun.

Imhotep breathed inward.  "You were supposed to keep him in Thebes, Rameses," he hissed, his voice only partly angry.

Evy watched in horror as Jonathan cocked his gun and pointed it not at the creature but at Rick's head.  Rick's eyes widened considerably.  He shrugged, his lips forming an evil grin that didn't suit the brother she knew.  He spoke in the ancient words Imhotep spoke.  "Yeah, well, you know. Things happen.  Having a little fun?"  He nodded towards the stone before Imhotep.  "I see your package arrived."

"Jonathan!" Evy yelled before Imhotep could comment, the shock evident in her voice.  "Just what on Earth do you think you're doing?"

He laughed and nudged Rick with the gun in his hand.  "Drop it, Old Boy," he drawled, chuckling when Rick's Thompson hit the floor.  He pushed Rick towards the stairs.  He took one step then turned, his fist flying to punch Jonathan in the stomach.  To his great shock, Jonathan fought back with speed and calculation - nothing close to the lacking way he'd fought before.  

With deftly thrown hits Jonathan sent Rick stumbling for balance down the stairs.  He hit the floor below on his knees and scowled back up. "Jonathan, what's the matter with you?"

Aiming once more at Rick, he slowly walked down the stairs.  "Don't you understand?  I'm not Jonathan anymore, at least not completely.  My name is or rather was Rameses.  My good friend here helped me remember."  He laughed.  "It's handy knowing everything Jonathan knows.  English for example - how to work this gun."  He eyes slid to Evy.  "I kind of like being the older one, Baby Sister ."  He kicked O'Connell with his boot and motioned him towards Imhotep.  "Get moving."

Rick got to his feet with a glare and grudgingly stood before Imhotep.  Imhotep laughed and crossed his arms, saying to Rameses, "Actually I am pleased you are here.  It will save me time before I kill him."

"What was that?" Rick asked through gritted teeth, his eyes filled with anger and the promise that the priest would not see tomorrow.

Jonathan grinned.  "He says he's glad we're here.  He wants to kill you, you see."  He glanced down at Evy, switching languages once more.  "I want to know when you're going to kill my sister.  I don't suppose you'd give me that honor?"  His eyes met Imhotep's in good natured pleading.

Imhotep shook his head.  "Nefertiri is mine alone to deal with."  The priest sized Rick up thoughtfully.  "I will let you play with this one - later."  He looked around before pointing to a large column.  "Tie him to that.  There is rope in the chamber behind me."

Rick ignored Imhotep and his newfound lackey for the moment when Jonathan scurried off into another room.  He looked down at Ardeth.  He wasn't in a happy position, that was certain.  Laying against the slab, likely thankful for the rest, he caught his breath.  Rick noted the cuff scrapes on his wrists, the large bleeding welts under his torn shirt.  He was next if he read that little conversation between Imhotep and 'Rameses' correctly.  It didn't take understanding the words.  The intent in their eyes was more than enough to tip him off.  He sighed.  "Hey, Ardeth," he said almost conversationally.  "How's it going?"

Ardeth wheezed out a laugh despite his pain.  "Hey, Rick.  Badly."  The Med-Jai sighed loudly.

Imhotep watched the little display with some amusement, wondering what they could be so carelessly chatting about when they were obviously on the losing side of the battle.  He turned when Rameses came back, rope entwined in his grasp and excitement in his eyes.  Rameses had always been the bloodthirsty type, hating most everyone and everything.  Except Anck-su-namun.  Imhotep glared at him, remembering that this new incarnation had ordered Anck-su-namun's mummy destroyed the last time.  But even in allowing this man to live he had his revenge.  This incarnation was still somewhere within, his soul no doubt anguished at the things his body did to his friends and sister.  Imhotep grinned, watching Jonathan force O'Connell to the column.  Rameses, he knew and Nefertiri and her Med-Jai obviously.  This light colored one was alien to his eyes. Not that it mattered to him any.  It just an observation.  Just another enemy that would be crushed.

His eyes bore down once more upon the exhausted Med-Jai below.  This one's punishment was nowhere near complete.  He would bear the pain of 3,000 years of torment because of his people, his willingness to test Imhotep's anger and his aid when these other fools had stopped him from raising Anck-su-namun.  This Med-Jai had committed the same crime he himself was guilty of and would pay, if not with his eternity than with the remainder of his life.  And Nefertiri would pay also, in one way or another.  

But how to make them pay.  That was the question that rang through his mind.  Sure there were many ideas, but what would be the best choice? He could torture these who had wronged him all day and through the night if he so chose, but he wanted more than just to hear their screams of agony.  No, he wanted to know the endlessly sorrowful sound of hopelessness day in and day out.  He wanted their spirits broken.  Oh, how he would revel in their begging and pleading, delight himself in refusing mercy upon them.  Yes, he was truly the monster that their frightened voices named him to be. What reason did he have not to be?  

His rage consumed him completely now, every fiber of his being screaming out in the eternal demand that he have vengeance.  He balled his fists as the anger welled up in him, it's bitter sweetness flowing through him to provide strength and will.  He turned smoldering eyes onto the resting Med-Jai below him and threw back the whip once more, for now content in the physical punishment he could deal. There would be time later for planning.  When Bay screamed Nefertiri called something in her own tongue, her voice fearful.  And then it hit Imhotep.  He could do something that would break both Nefertiri's soul and that of her lover if he knew them right.

Ignoring the angered shouts of both O'Connell and Nefertiri, he threw the whip down to the floor and disappeared once more into the adjoining chamber.  Yes, he would have the very things he desired.  His vengeance would be realized in this lifetime.  Gripping a ceremonial dagger from the floor, he returned to the main chamber.  Uncuffing the Med-Jai, he ripped him from the slab and dragged him when he collapsed to the floor weakly. He threw him down to his knees before Nefertiri's pain filled gaze and pulled his head back by his dark hair.  Placing the knife at Bay's throat, he gazed intently at Nefertiri and said, "Now, you will watch your lover die."

"Nooo!" Evy wailed in ancient Egyptian, pulling against her restraint.  "Imhotep, don't do this again.  Please!  It was I who insisted that the relationship continue.  It was my choice that we would leave Egypt.  Please don't punish him for what I've done."  Her eyes pleaded with the priest, her heart praying he would reason.

"Evy," Rick called, trying to break free of his ties.  "What's going on?"  Jonathan kicked him.

"He's going to kill Ardeth," she answered, her eyes locked with Imhotep's, her voice switching languages desperately.  "Please.  We can work this out, you and I."

Imhotep made a show of considering her words.  He stared at her gravely, using every ounce of seriousness to convey the gravity of what he was going to tell her.  "You wish me to have mercy on this man?"

Evelyn nodded, not sure if he was teasing her or not.  "Yes," she breathed out.

He looked into the windows of her soul, trying to see what could be seen within.  He eased his grip on Ardeth.  "I will have mercy."  He let that sink in for a moment.  She was visibly relieved yet still wary.  Imhotep smiled coldly.  "But my mercy comes at a price."

Her eyes widened slightly and then her face fell.  "What is your price?"  Her voice quivered.

Imhotep fingered the blade still at Ardeth's neck.  "You."

Ardeth clutched helplessly at the priests arms and struggled a little.  "No!  Evelyn, don't give him what he wants!"  His brown eyes glittered with warning.  

The creature sliced at Ardeth's skin with the knife.  "I want you, Nefertiri.  Your complete and unfaltering submission is the price I demand for this man's life.  There can be no other bargain."  He waited for her to react.  Yes.  If she chose yes then it would hurt them far more than the physical punishment any beating would accomplish.  If she chose no then he would devise another means of breaking them.  But she wouldn't do that.  He could see it in her eyes.  She was fighting with herself.  Fighting her fear so she could do the thing she knew she must.

Evy swallowed, looking from Imhotep to Ardeth and then Rick and Jonathan.  They all watched, all waited for her to speak.  Even Rick who didn't understand the words could guess at least some of the intent.  She reached her free hand out.  Ardeth was just within touching range.  Her fingers gently rubbed at his cheek.  "You died once because I couldn't let you go.  I can't let that happen again."

Ardeth tried to shake his head and couldn't.  "Don't, Evy.  You would be worth my death."  He swallowed and took a breath.

She smiled softly.  "Live today and fight tomorrow," she said in English.  "I won't let you die again."  Then, mustering every ounce of courage she had, Evelyn lifted her eyes to Imhotep.  "I agree."

"No," Ardeth gasped as Imhotep let him go.  "Evelyn, no."

Imhotep yanked him to his feet and smiled coldly.  "Done," he told her, a finality in his voice that gave her chills.

Evy watched as he pushed Ardeth onto the stone, locking him down once more.  She felt her knees go weak and seriously considered collapsing in fear.  Oh, what had she done?  He would be ten times worse than he may have been 3,000 years ago.  He didn't care for her back then, but now he burned in hatred for her.  "My God," she murmured when he turned back to her and started to advance.  She backed away, desperately seeking escape.  When her back hit the wall she was reminded of the first time she saw Imhotep.  He was definately more frightening this way.

Imhotep rested his hands on either side of her, his lips closing in and trapping hers in a possessive kiss.  When he pulled back he was smiling darkly, delightedly.  "There will come a time when you will beg to do my will," he assured her in low tones.  "Oh, my sweet Nefertiri, I will defile you in all sorts of manner and still you will call me your beloved before I'm through."

Evy shrank back from his hate filled gaze and looked away.  'Not bloody likely,' was on the tip of her tongue, but she knew it would only win her more of his angered words and threats.  She heard Rick curse and agreed mentally.  For the first time since all of this began she truly and honestly felt like they might not get through this.  It was a terrifying feeling.